1.0 out of 5 stars It's a video miracle - but it's an audio disaster., November 3, 2010
This review is from: JVC Picsio GC-WP10 Waterproof Pocket Video Camera (Blue) NEWEST VERSION (Electronics)
GREAT video, either 1080P 30 FPS, or 720P 60 FPS (the faster frame rate is better for moving subjects). It also has modes for YouTube and Apple that I haven't tried yet - and don't forget it does time lapse sequences as well!

The color touchscreen controls are very intuitive. You won't need the written manual.

I was disappointed by the stereo audio which sounds thin and phasey. (Perhaps I have a bad unit?)

It does a credible job of shooting stills, although they are not as sharp, nor do they have the dynamic range available in most $100 digital still cameras. But the submersible Picsio fits in your pocket and shoots great HD video!

Picsio also will record mp-3 stereo audio, but the audio quality is marginal in my unit. (I am talking myself into exchanging mine to see if the audio should really be better. Good audio should be technically easy to achieve compared to HD video.)

As an all-in-one camera, this waterproof Picsio is perfect - except for the audio deficiency. The softer still shots are acceptable considering everything else this very well-made camera does.

Post script: I have discovered that I cannot return or exchange the unit due to my own ignorance of the Amazon 30 day return policy on electronics. My fault. Now I must send the unit to the JVC factory warranty repair center in Texas. This I will do since I think the audio on my unit is surely not up to specs. More later.

Later post script on 12JAN2011: I sent my Picsio to the JVC Repair Center in McAllen, Texas. About 10 days after sending it, a technician from the JVC Repair Center telephoned me to ask more specifically about the audio problems I had described. Being a retired radio and television broadcast engineer with some 50+ years experience, I described in scientific detail the audio problems my unit exhibited. The technician obligingly said that he would confer with JVC engineers on site and compare my unit to others known to be working properly. The next day the technician called back with the news that "all of them worked the same". He said there was nothing more he could do but to send it back - which he did.

Now I again have this well-made camera with excellent video - and the same very poor audio.

JVC has either screwed up in the design or in the repair of the Picsio.

My advice: Don't buy the JVC Picsio unless you're looking for a video only application. My Picsio is going to be relegated to duty as an overly expensive video-only security camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2010 1:59:45 PM PDT
after you exchange it, can you re-post your opinion of the audio?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 4:19:54 PM PDT
OldJim says:
I will do a follow up report after the exchange.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 8:34:15 AM PST
Hi OldJim, yes I suspect you have a bad unit. I had exactly the same audio problem.
If you look at the zoo clip from another review the audio is perfect (for this price at least).
Waiting for my replacement unit. Let us know how yours works out.

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 7:55:19 AM PST
Just wondering if you got the replacement unit yet? I'm trying to decide between this camera and the Kodak PlaySport. I really love the idea of using eye-fi (which the playsport probably doesn't have compatibility for; it hasn't been tested), but if the sound quality of the Picsio is bad, that's a point against it. I actually bought the playsport but am thinking of returning it and getting the Picsio instead. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 12:47:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2010 12:49:50 PM PST
Tushar Tyagi says:
FYI, eye-fi does not native compatibility from any device it works anyways with any device, just that you get some display information about it sending data on wifi - on a device that natively supports and knows that its currently using an eye-fi card. eye-fi has a standard SD and wifi interface. I've used eye-fi on a bunch of cameras. An import point to consider would be to check if eye-fi cards support class 4 or higher SD speeds which I think might be needed for HD video.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 8:27:43 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
This unit was top rated over the Kodak by a consumer magazine that I will not mention.

Posted on May 2, 2013 3:58:17 AM PDT
Amenne Teope says:
Hello OldJim - you have mentioned in your review that you have sent your unit to JVC Repair Center in McAllen, Texas.
Can you please help me here? I have a same unit like yours but the compartment where you charge the camera/video recorder with the cables - well, it was accidentally opened by my son during his swimming session. Now there's water inside the touch screen and it needs to be serviced. I do appreciate if you have the Repair Center contact person, address or phone number - and can you share it with me? And unfortunately, my warranty has expired too. Thanks - Peter
‹ Previous 1 Next ›