4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cookware set, with one gripe., September 20, 2010
This review is from: Circulon Contempo Hard Anodized Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Firstly, let me start by listing what this cookware set contains.

CONTENTS:
* 1qt saucepan, with glass cover
* 2qt saucepan, with glass cover
* 8qt stockpot, with glass cover
* 3qt saute pan, with glass cover (cover also fits 10" skillet)
* 8" skillet
* 10" skillet

SURFACES:
* Exterior: Heavy gauge, anodized brushed metal aluminum and seem very durable, but I have not had this cookware long enough to attest to that.

* Interior: The cooking surface is coated with Dupont Autograph NonStick. The advertising sticker says it is "Metal Utensil Safe" but I have only used nylon utensils. The small concentric grooves in the bottom of each pot and pan is what I imagine to be Circulon's "Total Food Release System."

* Fried Egg Test: I heated a pan and broke an egg onto it without any oil or cooking spray, to test the effectiveness of the non-stick surface and the "Total Food Release System." I let the egg cook completely, sunny side up, then lifted it out. Although it did cling a little bit as I worked my spatula under it (my egg was a little pushed out of shape and scrunched up), the fully cooked egg did lift out without sticking to the surface. This was a test, but I believe a little oil would help tremendously in every day cooking.

* Cleaning: The pan from my Fried Egg Test cleaned up quickly and easily in a sink of hot soapy water and a soft dishcloth. No elbow grease needed. Although you do have to pay particular attention to cleaning in the direction of the grooves (ie: in a circular fashion) or you could leave particles. This set is not dishwasher safe!

COVERS (LIDS):
* These glass lids are very nice, and the handles are a work of art. They are advertised as shatter-resistant, but I would still not like to drop one on my tile floor! There are no steam vents in the covers.

HANDLES:
* The stainless steel handles have silicone grips and tips. They stay cool when in use, so you won't need a potholder to pick one up. Nestled in the tip of each handle is a pull-out metal ring, should you prefer to store your cookware in a hanging position. This ring stays hidden in the tip if you prefer to store them flat. Oven safe to 400F degrees.

MY BIGGEST GRIPE IS:
* The misaligned fit of the handles to the curvature of the pans/pots.

There is a small gap between the exterior surface and where the handle is fastened. This imprecise fit allows dishwater to flood into the handle during cleanup. The stainless steel handles are hollow (I assume to cut weight), so it takes ages for the inner section to dry completely. Even when left overnight to dry on my countertop, tilting the handle the next day resulted a small puddle of water. A silicone grommet between the two pieces (the same as there is between the glass cover and its handle) would have completely eliminated this issue, but instead, it's just very disappointing; shoddy workmanship marring an otherwise great cookware set. See for yourself: I have uploaded a User Photo to show this flaw.

CONCLUSION:
Overall, this seems to be a very good cookware set for everyday use. The handle flaw, however, negates a perfect 5-star score. Also, I cannot attest to the longevity of this set because I have had it less than a week. I cook every day, so I intend to give it a lot of use! Finally, in case anyone needs to know, this cookware set is Made in China.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2010 5:24:13 PM PDT
Lynn says:
I rec'd the pan set to review today. I used a flashlight to check out the handle issue/hole on the 3 qt pan. (I held the flashlight under the silver plate & looked through the top opening. I saw the light's reflection...didn't see a hole.) The plate goes all the way across. I didn't check all the pans, but figure the handle is attached the same way on all of them. Thought I'd let you know. You might want to double check your pans, & if need be, revise your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 3:22:28 PM PDT
Koala1356 says:
Hi Lynn, thanks for your comment. However, I do stand by my opinion that the handles fill with water during cleanup.

I do not put my cookware in the dishwasher; I hand wash them in the sink. When immersed, water will fill the handle. Even if you wipe the pot dry and let it stand, as soon as you tilt the handle water will run out of it from where it has collected during washing. If you'd like to test this, just immerse a pot and handle in the sink as if you were going to wash it, then lift it out. Shake off any excess water, then hold it up by the loop in the tip of the handle and see what runs out. Btw, the handles are indeed hollow; Circulon calls them "hollow core" in their specs.

I appreciate the fact that you have a different perspective to me, but on this, we're going to have to agree to disagree. Cheers! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 4:17:57 PM PDT
Lynn says:
Hi,
Well, I guess I'm the one that didn't test the handle with water. I looked using the flashlight & didn't see a hole. So, because you replied backd, I thought the least I could do would be to test it with water...lo & behold, you are correct. A small amount of water trickled out of the handle. I will change my review. Thank you for your attention to detail.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 11:11:16 AM PST
S. Young says:
Hi, thanks for the thorough review! It's been about half a year since your review, I was wondering how the cookware set is holding up? would you still rate it the same? any new insights? thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 6:04:00 PM PST
I thank you for taking the time to give your input on this cookware set. I was all set to order it, but, unless I find out that Circulon has since remedied this flaw, I will look at other sets.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 3:12:16 AM PST
"A silicone grommet between the two pieces (the same as there is between the glass cover and its handle) would have completely eliminated this issue"
I see this as not being quite as simple as it sounds. The lid handle doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the skillet handle. So the same material used for the lid would probably not be rated for the heat of direct contact with the skillet, but it would be nice to see something done about this.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:58:16 AM PDT
Mikeman says:
Circulon Contempo Hard Anodized Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set I am very thankful for your comment telling readers this product is Made in China. I have been researching a long time trying to find cookware that is not Made in China. I wish it would be mandated that sellers would have to disclose where products are made so it would save me time. I want only products Made in USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 4:27:42 PM PDT
Derry says:
Please, if you find a USA made set let us know ! Thanks !

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 1:33:59 AM PST
S. Phillips says:
All-Clad is made in the USA (Their Emrilware line is out of Asia though so be thorough when reading the fine print.)

All-Clad is a "premiere" line of cookware and you will pay a premium for it. I'm not a good enough cook to justify its price.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 1:34:31 AM PST