4.0 out of 5 stars A fresh Ghost Recon experience [Edited 5/25/12], May 22, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
You can't compare this game to CoD, Battlefield or really any other FPS. If you absolutely need a comparison, it's a less sci-fi version of Gears mixed with a dash of SOCOM.

The controls are excellent, the campaign is lengthy enough - 8 hours in but don't know how much more is left.

Guerrilla mode is fantastic - different missions on each map, with up to 4 player co-op. Difficulties range from Recruit (easy) to Veteran (medium) and Elite (hard). I would start with Recruit if you're new to the Ghost Recon universe. Veteran is a decent challenge out of the gate. Elite was much too difficult for the party I was in, but I don't know if that was inexperience in the players, or if the difficulty was scaled by the number of people in the party. Still a great game mode.

Multiplayer is the "meat" of the game (with Guerrilla getting the prestigious "potatoes.") The game modes vary depending on if you have a uPlay account (stupid, but I don't take off stars - it came with MY game, so I have a complete experience. The used purchasers may say otherwise...)

The four different modes are all unique enough that you have a different playing style for each - Conflict is an objective mode, random objective locations, and respawns. Decoy is a game mode (one that I really enjoy) where there are 3 listed objectives, but 2 are decoys, and one is the actual target - both the defenders and attackers don't know which is designated as the actual objective. Once that is found, there is another final objective to be hacked before the round is won. Respawns and emphasis on teamwork. Saboteur is a mode where you take one bomb on the map, and try to plant it in the other teams base. I haven't played but 3/4 games of this mode, but from what I did play, it was good fun. Siege is best described as a "Search and Destroy" clone - no respawns, objective based, best of three rounds. I love that Seige allows the defenders to set up before allowing the attackers to spawn in at the beginning. It requires and rewards teamwork.

Gunsmith is a fan-freaking-tastic layer to the game. You basically get to customize almost every part of your gun - barrel, stock, trigger, optics etc. The combinations are excellent. You earn unlock points in each class by leveling up, and most unlocks are available at the very beginning. You can test out each specific part of the modifications in the firing range right in Gunsmith, and it loads almost immediately, so you don't spend forever waiting at a loading screen just to see if you like the red-dot versus the Holo sight, or other various things.

No major gripes about the game just yet - and I'll edit if they become apparent.

One very minor gripe - there's a map (I don't know the name yet) but it went a little too far on the obstructed vision aspect. I get that it's probably very similar to what it would look like in an actual sand storm, but it doesn't mesh well with the gameplay. Every little while, everything pauses while everyone is blinded. Realistic? Probably. Fun? "meh."

4.5/5 - Rounded to 5.

TL;DR - great addition to the Ghost Recon family, definitely worth picking up (new better than used) and nothing major to complain about. Note: I've heard a few complaints "in-game" during multiplayer where people thought it was an FPS - it's not, it's a Third Person (over the shoulder) Shooter.

Thanks!

Edit: 5-25-12. Major network issues. I get that it's only 3 days post launch, but the "ghost" kills, host migrations, unable to find players, and general in-match lag are very detrimental to the experience. It's not every match, but it's every couple. This should have been addressed after the beta.

Minus 1 star. 3.5/5 rounded to 4

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2012 12:31:15 AM PDT
Peragulator says:
MP: the clunky menu is terrible. While at some point you get a lot of weapons they are set up and can't be changed while gaming. Ghost/Bodark leaves you with 2 assault rifles. Spawning: The worst in the history of gaming. "To Close To Objective" is all you'll see, but game will allow you to spawn directly in front (or behind) enemy. Leaderboard: Is there one? I haven't found it. How many matches have I won? K/D RATIO? Total kills with a certain weapon? Kill streak? Friends statistics?
SP: So I followed Macabo (an African that speaks with a Chicago accent) got to the end of the map where the A.I. kills the guy now I'm by the white pick up and I see "secure". Left back button tells me I need to get the intel on Macabo's stash. I've put on the Xray vision, checked every cache , resupplied, and blown up every vechicle and the "secure" is still up. What's with the mini cut scenes every 2 minutes?
It's a good game and a change of pace, but 5 stars it ain't.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 3:32:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 7:48:19 AM PDT
For the most part, not having leaderboards and stats in the game isn't that big of a deal to me. I don't really play for those things, I play to have fun and win. To find them in the game, go to "Friends" (RT for 360), and "Y" for Leaderboards. If you need those things while not on your console, you can go http://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/xbox/grfs/index/index/show-landing/1 there for all your stats.

I had no problem finishing that mission... I also am not customer support, so I don't know what to tell you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:52:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 11:52:17 PM PDT
Peragulator says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 5:42:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 5:43:12 AM PDT
Crying just because he said that? Grow up and get over it, this is the internet. Obviously nobody cares about your opinion - thats highly evident Peragulator.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 7:50:54 AM PDT
Yes, because being asked about other people's technical issues is clearly part of what a reviewer should have to deal with.

I did not experience the issues he did, and I don't know what to tell him. Why would I? (The answer is, because I'm not customer support.)

If you have a problem with me telling it 100% the way it is, please consider yourself the "egotistical m0r0n" for caring so much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:48:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 27, 2012 10:31:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:56:24 PM PDT
I know what he was saying - I don't understand how it falls into context of the review. I didn't have that problem. I don't know why he had that problem. I can't let his issue influence my review of the game if I'm not experiencing it. He's using that as a reason to disagree with my original score (5 stars) when he says "5 stars it ain't." To me, when I reviewed the game, it was a 5 star game.

Posted on May 29, 2012 9:49:12 AM PDT
Ted says:
Fyi, the map you mention, its name is Sandstorm. This map is one where you have to really use the Intel (spotting) system, so I actually enjoy it. (I prefer to use an Engineer with a Drone and Sensor Grenades on that map.) It rewards teamwork even more, I once only got 2 kills and still lead my team because of all the Intel Assists I got.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 10:29:11 AM PDT
Ted, yeah - It's grown on me. I was playing primarily Rifleman and Scout at the beginning, but know now to play Engi on Sandstorm. It's not nearly as bad as the map that uses similar techniques on Gears 3.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (239 customer reviews)

$49.99 $13.99