Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Beginner Scope!, August 16, 2004
This review is from: Orion 10014 SkyQuest XT4.5 Classic Dobsonian Telescope (Electronics)
After trying and becoming frustrated with department store telescopes, I spent a lot of time researching on the internet to find a scope that both fit my needs as a beginner and fit my budget. No matter how I looked at it, this scope kept coming out at the top of the list.

I've been using it for over a month now and have not been disappointed in any way! It is ultra-portable, gives great views, and took a rank amateur (me) less than an hour to assemble and align the optics, thanks to a very good instruction manual.

The small size is a plus for me. I keep it fully assembled sitting in the guest bedroom and pick it up and easily carry it out to the yard in one piece. I just lay out a blanket and sit on the lawn and observe - no need for setup, fancy chairs, or tables. The eyepiece is at the perfect height for my 4yr old daughter to look through (she has already gotten a few glimpses of the moon) so it will be a great tool for us to share. When she is a little bit bigger she will easily be able to handle this scope by herself.

A bigger scope will give better/more powerful views, but if you are on a tight budget, want something simple and rugged, or want a very portable scope, this is your ticket!

After your first view of Jupiter (and its cloud bands and moons) you won't regret this purchase.

---------

Update 1 year later!

I just re-read this review I put up, and can't reiterate it enough - This is a great little beginner scope!

Last fall I bought one of the books I recommended with this scope, "StarWatch" by Phil Harrington. Just last week, I completed the seasonal sky windows in the book - allowing me to see all 110 Messier DSO's all using this little 4.5" scope!

If a goofball like me can figure out how to use this scope and can use "StarWatch" to log all the Messier's in about a year - you can too! Its a great combo!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2008 12:29:19 AM PDT
Greg Hunter says:
RapidEye, I think that we would be great friends if God ever had us meet! From one goofball to another, you are dead-on about the scope and the book! The update really adds the extra umph to convince people to stop buying "power scopes" and buy some good old-fashioned aperture! I'm going to bed now--I just noticed I'm talking in all-exclamations.

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 10:08:04 AM PDT
D. rice says:
Thanks for the 1 year update!! Really is nice you took the time to report your update.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 7:12:38 AM PDT
Great post, thanks for the review. Any chance you could post some pics? :-)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:12:16 AM PST
Thanks for this got my first telescope, this one yesterday and you put me at ease for making the right choice.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:12:38 AM PST

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 6:57:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2013 7:05:51 PM PDT
I just got this telescope, still trying to figure out how to use it, I can focus the small focusing lens, but anything through the telescope is appearing upside down, anyone wanna help me out? :)
Or help me get started? I have no idea how to find anything.

I'd super appreciate it.

~Jonathan

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2013 5:37:57 AM PDT
RapidEye says:
This is perfectly normal because this is an astronomical telescope, not a terrestrial telescope so it has an inverted image. There is no up/down/left/right in space =-)
You need to order this book, Star Watch, by Phil Harrington:
Star Watch: The Amateur Astronomer's Guide to Finding, Observing, and Learning about Over 125 Celestial Objects

It will answer all of your questions in a way that makes sense and will teach you how to find things via the method called Star Hopping. It has seasonal guides to help you find the best objects visible at that time of year.

There is a pretty good chance your local library even has a copy if you don't want to spend the $12.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2013 6:15:56 AM PDT
Thanks, I went ahead and bought the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2014 8:41:08 AM PST
objscts will appear upside down in the scope if it really bothers you you can buy an Image erector for a few bucks

Posted on May 11, 2015 5:21:24 PM PDT
ILEANA says:
Hi RapidEye. I'm about purchasing this telescope (my first one🌛),and would like to know if I should also buy a bigger scope. I'm in NC as well and happy to know we can get great views from here. Thanks for guiding us in our selections
‹ Previous 1 Next ›