5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy cutting the grass again, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower (6201) (Lawn & Patio)
I've been using this mower for a few months and so far I've been loving it. No noise and no more fumes. Its nice to be able to cut the grass while talking on the phone or listening to music. I can cut the grass early in the morning before it gets hot without disturbing the neighbors. The mower adjusts from 1" to 4" so I can cut my fescue at 3-3.5" which is higher that my old gas mower could cut. This mower weighs around 35lbs or so, which makes it much heavier than other reel mowers on the market. However the flywheel and the extra heft allows you to easily push it through thick grass. It doesn't produce that perfect cut like a gas mower, so you will have a few stray blades that didn't get clipped, but it cuts the blades so cleanly that its almost like someone cut the grass with a pair of scissors :) I'm amazed at how well it cuts without stressing the grass. My old gas mower is forsale on craigslist and I don't think I'll ever own another gas mower. My yard is roughly 1/4 acre with a fairly steep hill in the back yard and it only takes about 10 mins longer to cut using this mower than my old gas mower. The only downside is that this mower doesn't handle overgrown grass very well. You will have to set it to its highest setting, and make multiple passes, so be sure to cut regularly.

PROS:
- No Noise
- No fumes
- Can cut higher than most gas mowers
- Only reel market on the mower that can go as high as 4"
- Adjustable handle to suit your height
- Much lighter than a gas mower, so easier to push on inclines
- Cuts grass into confetti/ribbon strips for easy grass-cycling
- Transports easily (handle quickly detaches using 2 cotter pins)

CONS:
- Very difficult to cut overgrown grass
- Difficult to cut wet grass.
- No way to collect clippings which could be an issue if you have a lot of weeds.
- Would be easier to turn and handle dips if rear wheels were larger.
- Doesn't cut tall/bendy weeds well. They bend under the mower and pop back up.
- Only cuts when moving forward, takes longer to cut around obstacles than it would with gas/electric mower

Spring 2011 Update:
This mower has made me a victim of my own success. The yard looks better than ever but I now have to cut 3 times every 2 weeks to keep the grass in check, and if we've had rain, my tall fescue is on steroids and I get a real workout.

My grass cutting time has increased as tall leggy weeds have popped up in the back yard. They bend and go under the blade and pop right back up. So I have to back up several times to get the head of the weed in the mower just right to cut it. My front yard has few weeds, so this isn't a problem. However its a real pain in the back yard. This will get better as the turf improves. However if you have more weeds than lawn, a reel mower might be very frustrating.

Fall 2013 Update:
I finally gave it up. I've put a lot of work into my lawn over the past few years and it is really starting to thrive. So much so that I don't have the time to cut it every 5 days with the fiskars, and if you ever get behind with this mower, you will regret it. Since I have tall fescue, it can easily grow to 8-9 inches in just over a week.

So I purchased a battery powered mower. I went with the green works 19" lithium ion gmax mower and love it. Much easier to cut tall grass and around obstacles. Cutting the grass is significantly less work now. Only downside, is that even though the green works is quiet, I miss the silence of the fiskars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first

Mr. Roy Khoh says:

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 2:59:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 2:59:47 AM PDT
Sarah says:
My grass is tall frescue and needs to be cut to 3.5 inches, and I am a woman and have a wooded lot, about half an acre of which is lawn. Do you think this mower would work for me?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 7:45:11 PM PDT
T. Jones says:
1/2 an acre is pretty big. It may be a chore during rapid fescue growth like spring/fall. If your lot is easy to navigate, and you don't mind the exercise, I think it will work. Right now, I have to cut my 1/4 acre lot about 3 times every 2 weeks. However we are in the rapid spring growth phase.

Posted on May 27, 2011 7:46:42 AM PDT
M. Thompson says:
I just received my Fiskars Mower. Awesome....except what was identified in this post. The bendy reed-type weed/grass will not get cut, they just bend and pop back up. Sucks. This might be a deal breaker for me. I tried mowing from multiple angles and they just wont get cut.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 6:17:31 PM PDT
Sarah says:
I am having the same problem -- the tall bendy stems are not cut by the mower. I am currently experimenting to find a solution, but for the moment, unless I mow my tall fescue grass twice a week the mower simply can't handle the tall stems that seem to spring up from nothing on a daily basis. I will add a further comment when (well I'm optimistic!) I find a solution other than cutting twice as often (which does seem to keep things under control and makes the mowing easier, but obviously it is a bit more time consuming than many might like).

Posted on May 29, 2011 1:43:37 PM PDT
I enjoyed this review, but the number of stated "cons" detract from the credibility of a Five Star review.

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 11:44:03 AM PDT
Regarding collecting clippings, you can buy an attachment for that.
Fiskars Momentum Reel Mower Grass Catcher - 62106935

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 10:48:06 PM PDT
T. Jones says:
I think the 5 star review is reasonable. The cons are more to give people an accurate idea of what it will and won't do so they can decide whats best for them. My biggest gripe is that it doesn't cut tall/bendy weeds well. However my old gas mower didn't either. Until my HOA lets me get a goat, I think this is the best thing out there.

Posted on May 27, 2012 8:45:44 AM PDT
Toni says:
Would you tell me where this mower was made? Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (820 customer reviews)

$249.99 $193.99