5.0 out of 5 stars Great MP3 Player, March 19, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
I have to believe than the few negative reviews I read before buying the Cowon X7 were by customers who never read the manual, down loaded the latest firmware, or put any time into learning the screen menus.

The Sound is fantastic! One can load up to 160GB of media. I did go through the manual and did have to play with the X7 for a while to learn the menus and options available. I did not find the touch screen hard to work with (I should mention that this is the first touch screen product I have ever used).

I think the trouble some people had is they did not go into settings to assign the buttons. The on/off/hold button is on the lower right side (from the screen, you can also put the X7 in sleep mode or turn it off). There are two buttons on the lower left side to control volumn, and when the screen is in save mode (blank) they can be used to advance or go back one track. There is a button on the lower front side that also be programmed for the screen or starting and stopping the player.

I loaded up about 50GB of MP3s. I never wanted an IPOD or a Zune as I wanted to be able to move my media from my 2 computers, and back up hard drives, and to my media player, and then back. Just connect it to your computer with the dedicated USB cord and it reads the X7 like an exterior hard drive (in a pinch, you could use the X7 to transport files, any kind of digital files, from one computer to another).

The X7 can play a variety of music files. I also like the way you can make and name your own folders however you want to name them. On every song I rip (about, 10,000 songs and instrumentals for me so far) I use my own special coding for genres, albums, etc. And even the tracks that are in folders can be quickly sorted by Year, Genre, Album (however you tagged them), Artist, etc., and then play them sequentially or shuffle. You can creat favorites and your own play lists. There are a plethora of preset EQs and you can make four of your own, if you feel the need.

The X7 can be charged through the USB cord or with the AC Adapter (which is quicker). The unit comes with a set of earbuds but I use the JBud J4s. I had no "crackling" sound that a couple of people spoke about. I suppose that was from bad cords. I can not speak to the video player as did not look it and have no plans to ever use it.

For me, the open archtecture (virtually any media file) can be played. The X7 can play for over 100 hours if fully charged! I can hold a mega library of music. And It has great sound! I also like that it comes with an FM tuner and has a few extras that can come in handy... a recorder, a photo viewer, a calculator, a notepad, a stop watch, an alarm clock and a couple others. (When I am waiting at the airport I now have an alarm clock in case I fall asleep!). This is a 5-Star MP3 player!
DWJ of Spokane