Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars My review contains spoilers, ignore if you haven't played or are playing., November 11, 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III with Steelbook (Video Game)
Where to begin... I wont go into the step by step detailed analysis of the game, there are enough of them out at this point that the general gist of the gameplay can be determined without my input. With that being said want to give a shout out to Ubisoft.

Positive:

The navy part of this game is absolutely amazing. If you aren't currently creating a series based off of this but with a slightly better storyline you all need your heads checked. I spent *HOURS* replaying navy battles so that i could get the best results. Do this in a non-historic but wooden ship filled world and you probably could go MMO with it. And I would throw my money at you every month. Before rent and food.

Sadly... that was the only positive...

I bought the first AC on day one, i got in on the ground floor as it were. I fell in love with the free running, Altair was a total badass and the end of the story left you begging for more.

The 3 games with Ezio were all great too.. I didn't always like/use all the new features, but there was a consistent story-line that seemed to be an undercurrent throughout the series that covered for a lot of sins. Plus each game tried to give you more control over the world you lived in, through minion assassins to control or purchasing stores.

AC3 did not have any of that. Oh you got to upgrade your boat.. but whoop de doo .. after you get enough to fix that up the economy of the game is pointless. And dont get me started on having to push 6 buttons for each item sold x all the slots.. Sell all furs needed to be an option.

The first quarter of the game was played at Haythim. I actually approved of this plot device. It was a total shock to me, and when Desmond found out I was right along with him in going WTF??? And then came the disappointment.... Aka. Conner. In the series of games he is the one character who is the weakest written. He comes off as two dimensional and his interactions with his father are abysmal. I actually ended up agreeing with the Templar way of thought about halfway though this game just because of Conner.

As a side note.. I absolutely *love* the American Revolution as a time period in history. There is so much depth of character when you look into the founding fathers and the British generals who fought them. This game did not do either side justice. I wanted to punch Washington after the very first interaction with him in game.

So.. Fast forward through the entire playable game (I got to 65% showing completed on the load screen before the "last mission" popped up out of no where) and get to the final cut-scene. This is where your writers make their money. They've got 4 amazing games of history to build off of, upwards of 160hrs of continuous game-play. After all of that (which btw I replayed so that the whole series would remain fresh in my mind) the writers choose to just have Desmond die to pursue some totally terrible end scene were apparently Juno goes off to do whatever she wants?? That was the best you all could come up with? I'm appalled.

This ending was worse than the Mass Effect 3 ending.. At least there i got to choose the color of the "screw you" the writers gave me.

And then we get the credits... Upwards of 15mins of credits.. and the entire time i'm fuming.. going "This cant possibly be it... surely the last quarter of the game will be after the credits because the folks making this game know we'd skip their names otherwise.. "

No... Sadly no....

Instead we get to bury the old man and watch the British sail off..

Writers of AC3.. Are you for real?? That ending is *shameful*. As someone who's trained in the video game creation industry this is an absolutely shameful way to end such an amazing series. And the part that gets me is that no one said "Hey this ending is a little bad" in the editing process. I sincerely hope there is another game planned, because if this is the end of the series then I personally wish I had *never* played your final game. It was worse than Mass Effect 3.. hands down... And that's saying something because this game series was so much more than ME3 could ever hope to be. I honestly had a lot of negative things to say and this is the censored version. I was a total fan of your games and i own every single game. And now I'm ashamed of that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 3:41:31 PM PST
Anonymoose says:
so your quibbles take you all the way down to 1 star, eh? I get being annoyed by a lack of the developers fulfilling your expectations, but to write off the sum of the game to 1 star, even when I found some positives in your review, is a bit whiny.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:21:56 PM PST
Daniel Caron says:
The 1 star was for the only part of the game I liked, the Naval battles.

Assassins Creed is a game about history and how that history relates to the overall story. This installment failed to deliver on that in a huge way. So yes, I rated it poorly. There were no improvements to the game-play, combat was reduced to pushing two buttons and in the end the Revolutionary War ancestor had absolutely no impact on Desmond either in skills or important information he needed.

That added to how Ubisoft essentially trivialized all of its main characters (Altair, Ezio and Desmond) struggles into nothing by the lackluster ending and complete abandonment of the story-line leading up to this game.

So yes, I was disappointed and rated it poorly. Call that quibbling if you so desire....

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:03:35 AM PST
Elijah O. says:
Does the steelbook come with the game on amazon??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›