Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there a faction for those who love this book?, July 6, 2011
This review is from: Divergent (Hardcover)
Wow.

When I finished 'Divergent' I sat thinking about it and feeling a lot like I did when I finished 'The Hunger Games'. It was a similar reading experience...a fast-paced story in an other world situation with a strong female character. The story transported me and I had a hard time pulling myself out of the book in order to continue with my every day things. In fact, when I closed the book after finishing it, I was struck by the desire to start over from the beginning because I didn't want the experience to stop. It was THAT good.

(I'm not giving a plot overview...many others have already done that)

The world Tris lives in is fascinating. I was gripped at first learning about the society and the factions and I found myself enjoying the story more and more as she chose a faction and went through the iniation process. In fact, I think the initiation (which takes up most of the book) was my favorite part.

The ending contains a twist I didn't expect. I thought the story, despite little hints of the Erudite mystery, would end with whether or not Tris would be accepted into her faction. It doesn't. It suddenly takes an unexpected, over-reaching twist that changes the entire landscape of the story. It goes from a story set mainly in one faction to one that deals with the beginning of a societal fray. It was unexpected, but enjoyable. It was something the author had built up to, but in a subtle way. I also liked that while this is going to be a series, the book ends without a cliffhanger. I hate cliffhanger endings that leave you wondering for months. While there are many things left to discover in this world, you do get an ending with this book.

The characters are believeable, lovable and, at times, scary. I love the evolution of Four (though I hate his other name...but that's a personal thing) and Christina. Actually, I really just love Four.

The story is written in first person from Tris' perspective. She's a good narrator, though first-person does make the action/fight sequences a little clunky. 'Divergent' also has plenty of action, humor, mystery and a little bit of romance.

If you enjoy the feel of Hunger Games, I recommend this for you. I also recommend it to anyone who loves a good story.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 3, 2012 1:23:10 PM PST
HonestAbe says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 4:32:25 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I'm sorry I. Alfonso, that you feel my reivew is not real. I was not paid anything by anyone for this review (nor any of the reviews I've done). I happened to really like this book and encourage others to read it. Considering you wrote your own negative review of 'Divergent' I suspect your disproval of my review is based more on the fact that you disagreed with me than anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 9:56:20 PM PDT
How did Tris get turned into Trice? Makes me wonder if you really read it.

Posted on May 26, 2012 5:49:06 AM PDT
@Robert

Wow. I spell one character's name wrong and suddenly I haven't read it? For one thing, I wrote the review a few days after I read the book and didn't have it in front of me. For another, I believe Tris's name is Beatrice....which would make the spelling Trice more accurate.

I don't know why people have to be so negative in their comments. I've read the book, twice actually.

Posted on May 30, 2012 9:18:34 AM PDT
I'm in the faction for people who love this book, and completely agree - as soon as I finished it, I wanted to read it again! Like you, I also disliked Four's original name (just a small qualm). I really enjoyed having a female in the role of "evil, string-pulling, overlord", girls aren't just for unlikely hero roles!

Without wanting to classify Divergent as the next [Insert your favorite book series here], I picked up on tiny whiffs of influences from both Suzanne Collins' series of books and maybe a tiny bit from City of Ember. I'd be interested to know if Roth read them, and what else she has read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 1:37:54 PM PDT
Anastassia says:
Would you recommend this book to a 12 year old who loved The Hunger Games ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 1:52:56 AM PDT
K. Knight says:
Absolutely. I hope you enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 7:09:28 AM PDT
Anastassia says:
Thanks, K Knight - I appreciate the reply !

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 3:51:02 PM PDT
I think your comment was very helpful !! Exact kind of review that I was looking for because I'm looking for a book like THG that I can't put down and get totally tied up in. Thank you!!

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:09:44 PM PDT
M. Tugas says:
I heard about the Divergent as this was one of the recommended summer reads for my 14 year old son. I read it too and I can't put it down. I also finished the Insurgent and I love it as well. I recommended it to my coworkers and they all loved it! I agree with you that the worst part is waiting for the next book...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›