Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Samsung 60hz TV to date, March 29, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN32F5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim LED HDTV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
I was ready to purchase the `12 model year Samsung 5000 series TV when I found out that this updated model was available. My local big box stores did not have the F5000 series in stock yet so I had to take a chance on this set and buy it sight unseen.

I would rate myself as a fairly knowledgeable user, and a very picky one at that. I read AV forums online and I constantly tinker with my TVs to get the best picture possible out of them. I am very glad that I waited to get this new '13 model, as the quality and features are substantially improved.

For starters, comparing this model side by side with the older Samsung EH5000 models, the first thing you will notice is how much thinner the F5000 is. At 1.9" thick, it's almost as thin as any LCD TV gets; and its roughly half as thick as the prior model. The 2" difference really matters, especially for those of you who will be wall mounting the TV. With a low profile mount, the TV is about as flat as one could expect to get.

Appearance-wise, the F5000 is a stunning looking TV. The bezel is ultra-thin and glossy black. The bezel bows down slightly in the bottom center of the TV to show off the Samsung logo. Compared to another same size Samsung LCD in our house that is just three years older, the F5000 looks futuristic and sleek. I love the design direction that they have taken in 2013.

But all this means nothing if the TV isn't just as fantastic from a performance standpoint. Luckily, the function is well matched to the form.

The first thing I checked after getting my TV mounted to the wall was the evenness of the backlight. Our previous non-LED Samsung had a slight "flashlight" effect to it. When looking at an all black screen, you could see noticeable bright spots, especially near the corners. My F5000 set, however, appears to be perfectly even from edge to edge. Very impressive considering this is one of their lower end lines.

The picture on the TV is excellent. I'm not sure how they achieved it, but considering its only a 60hz panel, the motion is the smoothest I have seen to date. No perceptible blur during fast action on the few shows I've watched so far. Like all other LED TVs, the factory settings have the backlight set too bright and the red level pushed too hard, which makes skin tones appear slightly too unnatural. This is a quick and easy fix in the video settings menu. I've only had the set a short while and am still making adjustments to my settings; I will update this review shortly with a full list of the optimum picture adjustments. But even without a single adjustment, I am just very shocked at how stunning the picture is. Also, I was expecting to immediately disable the "eco" features of the TV, but I surprisingly fell in love with one of them. It has a built in sensor that measures the brightness of your room, and adjusts the backlight accordingly. I had my mind set on disabling this right away, but after trying it out, it's actually very well implemented. It is especially useful for anyone using this TV in a bedroom... If you want to lay in bed and watch some TV in the dark, it will dim the picture slightly and keep it from being uncomfortably bright. If I wasn't using it in a bedroom, I'd probably want to disable it. Thankfully, its very easy to access the eco settings to adjust or disable it for those of you who don't care to try it.

Right now, I can only think of two Cons to go against the many pros, and they are both minor. The first con is that the backlit remote is very very dimly lit. Even with the backlight activated, it takes a second or two to figure out what each button is. Thankfully though, this becomes a non-factor once you've used it a few times and have the locations memorized. The second con is that the included stand, at least on my 32", is very cheaply made. Samsung clearly has done some serious cost saving on the quality of the stand. Although they managed to make it look OK, the feel of it is terrible. It's a very thin gauge of reinforced plastic. This isn't an issue for anyone who is wall mounting like myself, but I felt it was worth mentioning. It feels significantly less sturdy than all previous Samsung TV stands that I have owned.

One last thing I'll note for those looking to wall mount. Some descriptions list the 32" version as being VESA 400x400. This is INCORRECT. I can confirm for sure that it is VESA 200x200 for the UN32F5000. The Samsung manual will confirm this, but as of the time of me writing this review, Amazon lists it at 400x400 which is very wrong.

Overall, the F5000 series feels like a big step in the right direction for Samsung, and I am thrilled with the TV so far. I will update this review in the near future with my recommended picture settings once I get them dialed in exactly as I want them.

EDIT on 6/17/2013:

As promised here are the best picture settings I have tried for this set. Courtesy of user Maverickaim9 from AVSforums:

Updated Settings:
25, 25, 21, 20, 25, 36
Gamma -2
Color Temp: Warm 2

Everything else 0 or off

My set is a few months old at this point, still zero problems with it and we are absolutely loving it. I've been trying to respond to the comments posted. Let me know if you all need anything else clarified in my review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2013 9:23:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2013 2:50:09 PM PDT
Dan, thank you for the detailed review, especially from the the user who has wall-mounted this TV. Also, I am glad to see that you've purchased the 32" version and are using it in a bedroom. I am looking for the same arrangement. Do you mind posting couple photos of your 32" wall-mounted set from the side? It would be interesting to see how far from the wall the TV is after being mounted. Of course, the mounts can be different and can add different distance from the wall, but anyway, it would be better than nothing.

Also, I don't remember seeing a native 24p support from the TV's specs. Could you check whether it natively supports 24p or not?

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 4:47:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2013 4:53:08 AM PDT
travis says:
Thanks for the great review. I was thinking about getting this tv to replace a 3 1/2 year old Samsung 46A650. TV is pretty good but puts off a lot of heat and was thinking about going a bit smaller (my bed is like 3ft from tv), cooler and more energy efficient. My 46a650 does a great job with anything in hd but it struggles with blacks for standard def. Just wondering.. have you noticed if the un32f5000 runs cool or puts off a lot of heat especially after being on say for for more than a few hours? Then, have you watched any standard def to see if the blacks are ok and there isn't motion blur? I'm a little worried since it's a 60hz tv. My first tv was a 46 inch samsung 4665f and it had problems with blacks and motion blur on standard def. Am I wrong to assume since it's 32 inch it won't be as noticeable as a larger 46 inch? Forgot to ask are you running it with the clear motion rate on? That's probably like the auto motion plus feature which helps with blur but makes most things look like a soap opera. If you see this and have time to respond thank you so much for the help.

Posted on May 8, 2013 5:25:42 PM PDT
Average Joe says:
Another thing people need to be aware of ...the power cord comes with one of those LARGE HEAVY BRICKS.
This matters to those who want to place this in the kitchen or small room and dont want to deal with the brick.

I dont understand why they needed to use this...the un22d5003 does not have it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2013 8:32:34 PM PDT
Dangs says:
Just FYI, I can confirm that the 32" model does NOT have a power brick. Just a simple cord straight from the TV.

Posted on May 27, 2013 3:27:52 PM PDT
LT4CE says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 7:45:40 PM PDT
Dangs says:
Hi LT4CE - as far as I know, everything is identical between the 22" and 32" models in terms of screen type, function, and performance. the only notable difference is that the 22" model has an external power supply (what people commonly refer to as a power brick), which I assume was necessary due to the diminutive size of the TV and how thin it was. All other models from the 32 on up have internal power supplies, and just a normal power cord. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 8:29:54 PM PDT
LT4CE says:
Thanks Dangs. Makes more sense now!

Posted on May 28, 2013 7:34:47 PM PDT
pebbles says:
Hi, thanks for your great review. When you have the chance, would be very interested to hear of your recommended picture settings. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 4:48:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2013 7:48:46 PM PDT
Sivraj says:
@Dangs "Dan"

"I will update this review shortly with a full list of the optimum picture adjustments."

Hello, I was wondering if there is still any chance you could post these optimal picture adjustments settings. Thanks!

EDIT: Personally, I like the way the picture looks under the preset "Movie" rather than "Standard" (You can find this by hitting the Menu button > Picture > Mode > Movie)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2013 11:46:11 AM PDT
Dangs says:
Sivraj - Updating my review right now, but here are the best settings I have found (and I agree about Movie Mode). These are courtesy of Maverickaim9 from AVSforum:

Updated Settings: