3.0 out of 5 stars *Maybe* not worth an upgrade, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Adobe Premiere Elements 10 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
[review has been updated - more comments at bottom]
I've been using Premier Elements 7 (PE7) for a couple of years, and it is reliable, predictable, and efficient. I mostly record things from my TV tuner card, from which I create DVD's without having to go through any additional hoops. I do not make many home videos or do outside production work.

I've been playing with the evaluation copy of PE10 and there are some alarm bells going off. My complaints are:

1. CRITICAL - Endless looping while "conforming" .AVI files that PE7 handled without any problem at all
2. ANNOYING - Always starts up in full-screen, even with a project that was saved in non-full-screen mode. Granted, it's a few mouse clicks to shrink the window, but PE7 always opened existing projects in whatever state they were saved in.
3. ANNOYING - an updater component running in the background. Can't see the need, myself. That should be my choice, not Adobe's.
4. ANNOYING - incessant nagging to join up, sign on, back up my files online, etc. (though in fairness, PE7 also has some of this too).

I have to say that issue 1 above is just a stopper, plain and simple. Some video gearheads have suggested that using a separate app to get around the conforming error, but how fiddley do we have to be here? I want to be able to do everything once in a self-contained environment, not have to go from this app to that one, and then shift files around manually and hope for the best. But the main point is this - PE7 WORKS FINE!! Why is this a problem with PE10?

Also, it just doesn't seem like there is all that much difference in usability or functionality, even if the issue above was not present. You still go through the same process - add media, edit the clips a bit, set markers, create the DVD layout, and burn. The buttons & menus & mouse clicks are all pretty much the same as always.

So I think I am staying on PE7, but that's just me. As for others, I really suggest installing the evaluation copy and seeing if it meets your needs and deciding for yourself.

[update 11/3/2011]
Well, I have decided to go ahead and get the double Premier/Photoshop Elements upgrade from Adobe at the $119 upgrade price, and am going to install and use PE10 now, despite the issues mentioned above. It appears that PE10 will process H.264 files quite nicely, and I can use those to create good quality DVD's of TV recordings. It would be nice if the .avi's work, but I think can live with it. The other annoyances are there, but most of them are there with version 7 as well and I am coping with them.

I am going to go ahead and bump up the stars to three, which should be interpreted as meaning the software does its work as expected. Still, I do not really see enough in here that is substantially different from three versions back. I will stick with what I say - download the demo, wring it out as best you can in the manner you think you will use it, and see if it gets it done for you.

[Add comment]