5.0 out of 5 stars One Big Roller Coaster Ride, February 22, 2011
This review is from: Pale Demon (The Hollows, Book 9) (Hardcover)
In a last ditch effort to escape a permanent residence in the ever after, Rachel heads west by car to try and clear her name. Much to her surprise, Trent comes along for the ride, with a mysterious task of his own. It's a trip bordering on insanity when you add Jenks and Ivy to the mix, and it will take nothing short of a miracle to keep them from killing one another before they reach their destination. The trip alone would have been more than enough to handle but then a crazy day-walking demon shows up and sets its sights on Rachel. If she is to survive, she must face her biggest challenge yet, trusting Trent.

Sometimes I really feel bad for Rachel. She can be so very naive, almost to the point of insanity. She has such a strong sense of honor, and honestly believes that others will uphold to honor as well. She is crushed time and time again when they don't. It never ceases to amaze me how everyone can label her black and evil when she has morals that will outshine and outlast anyone. To survive what she has without any real "blood" on her hands is amazing and makes her so admirable. I can only hope before the series is over that everyone will finally look past the surface and see her for who she really is. Most people could learn a few life and morality lessons from her example.

I haven't felt a connection to any of the men in Rachel's life since Kisten. His death hit me harder than any other death in all the books I have read. I knew at some point one of the characters would effect me enough to feel a real connection for that person and Rachel, but I never would have guessed that person would be Trent. When I first started this series I thought that Trent was an absolute slime ball. Now however, I'm starting to really think that he and Rachel would be perfect for each other. Now that I have this new opinion, as I look back through the series, all of their interactions seem to have new meaning. Perhaps I'm just seeing what I want to, but I really think there might be something there, it's just a matter of them admitting it. I hope.

This book is one big roller coaster and it grasped me almost instantly and just wouldn't let go. It kept me up until the wee hours of the morning and stayed in my mind through my dreams and even now the next day. It has been a long time since a book has really affected me as much as this one. If you are a fan of this series, this book cannot possibly disappoint. The ending really twisted things up, and I cannot wait to see how Rachel handles everything that has changed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2011 8:13:53 AM PST
Loved your review! I just turned my friend onto the Hollows series and she's 90% done with book 5. She's really sad and doesn't want to read it anymore, but I'm trying to encourage her to keep trying. I think Rachel has amazing resolve and it's her attitude that keeps me following this series. A lot of the time, the central characters annoy me, but I can't help but love Rache. As for Trent. He's always been an asshat, but I couldn't help but find him intriguing, even from book 1, so Trent/Rachel has always been a guilty pleasure, though now it holds a little more substantial water. Harrison is so good at pulling back the layers to these supposed "bad boys" and I had been hoping inside that Rachel could influence him for the better, and it seems to be working. Lucy is only going to help with that, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011 10:02:51 AM PST
I completely agree! At first I thought everyone was nuts for rooting for Trent. I LOVED Kisten and no one else would do, especially not Pierce, bleh! However, this book made me realize that there has been something between Rachel and Trent from the very beginning. She is able to get under his skin without any effort, something no one else can do. I'm finding myself torn about the ending of the series as I really believe they should end up together. However, I'm sure that won't happen until the last book, so then it will be time to say goodbye.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011 10:18:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2011 10:23:42 AM PST
This is why Book 3 was my absolute favorite before Pale Demon. I loved Kist and Trent, so book 3 was a great dose of them both...with nobody dying >_> Seriously, I thought I was the only odd ball who couldn't help but like the bad boy, so I was really surprised to see that a lot of people actually do.

Kisten was no angel either, but he added spice and flavor to the series and was another one with instant Rachel chemistry. I'm with you on Pierce. He was a LITTLE better in this book, but I just don't feel the chemistry from them. Rachel and Trent so easily have it and they *always* have. If Trent and Rachel happen, I know that it won't be right away, but I trust Kim to handle with style, and I trust that I'll love it.

I just love how complex Kim makes their relationship, and the amount of growth on his part would be amazing, falling in love with a species he's been despising all of his life. Yes, she is physically a witch, but Trent's made it clear enough that he sees her as a demon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (425 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01