1.0 out of 5 stars Installation Failed, May 18, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (Video Game)
If your game installs and runs, I wish you all the best. I wish I could play the game, but I can't. It will not install.

I've spent 3 days (I know stupid, but I really wanted to play the game) following EA's website instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling their Download Manager. I THEN finally resorted to their live chat option (yeah, I finally admitted that it had me beat). Their live chat technical support consisted entirely of:
1). Checking to make sure I actually owned the game, had legally purchased it, and had 4 forms of legal ID and a strip search (ok the last two are a purely fictional manifestation of my frustration but I feel pretty violated after all the procedures we went through together)
2). Telling me to do exactly what their website told me to do (ok some people don't follow the directions, but I did)
3). Copying and pasting the links to the tech support pages I had already tried out into the chat window.

No really, I shut down my firewall (it's back up now so don't get any ideas), my router's firewall (yep, that's back up too), my antivirus software (practically had to uninstall it (yep it's back too) and changed computers - there are four in my house. And the download manager insists that I am somehow running the software on two different windows accounts (which my computer only had one until the tech support guy suggested I create a second one - just to run Sims 3 - yep that's gone too now).

So I asked the tech guy, "where do I file a complaint about the installation software?" And he says to me -- "would you like to submit your ideas?"

Ok, I lost it. Seriously? I've practically torn apart the software on my computer system for 3 days, uninstalled everything I don't use (just in case it was conflicting), and now I'm supposed to come up with how to solve their installation nightmare?

I don't normally write bad reviews, but hey... there's a point when you just have to stand up and say... "THAT WAS BAAAADDDD!!!!!!" Ok, I've said it. I hope it helps someone somewhere. Cheers!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2010 10:33:46 AM PDT
Adam Gravlee says:
I could've written this review myself! I went through the same repetitive steps to fix the installation bugs over and over at the instruction of EA's lamely instructed tech support. And no, I don't blame them necessarily, since most of them probably hate rattling off their script of useless advice just as much as we hate hearing it (although there's always those obnoxious customer service reps who seem to get off on screwing people over). After what seemed an eternity of trial and error, I ultimately gave up trying to install this expansion pack. Unfortunately I could've saved myself so much trouble if only I had played the Sims 3 alone first, instead of waiting till World Adventures was installed. I never would've went through the trouble, as the Sims 3 is a piece of junk of a game. Why would they take away the ability to go inside restaurants and stores??! Like they thought the novelty of being able to walk to a cafe was so exciting, instead of teleporting there like in Sims 2, that we wouldn't care that we can't go inside the cafe!! No more dates at the nightclub, no more shopping for clothes at the local clothing store, no more lunch with family at the diner--things that made the Sims 2 so awesome. The Sims 3 feels more like the Sims 10 years ago.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (227 customer reviews)

$20.75