1.0 out of 5 stars The subscription people are like a bad rash . . ., April 7, 2010
This review is from: Better Homes and Gardens (1-year) (Magazine)
I purchased a one year subscription to BHG in December 2008, because they offered me a great deal while I was looking for a recipe online. After receiving about two months of my subscription, they started billing me for the next full year. Four months away from my renewal date, they informed me they had renewed me "for my convenience" and would be charging my debit card. I promptly canceled my subscription online in November 2009 (would run out in March 2010). From that point on, I received continual bills with threatening implications, like "account overdue" and "pay immediately." All my account information online stated my subscription was canceled and I owed nothing. The bills continued to escalate until in Feb. 2010, I searched high and low online to find a phone number to call. I was informed that the subscription department did not receive information online, and they did not know my subscription was canceled (likely story). I was informed that NOW they would cancel my subscription. OK, I'm finally done with these people. WRONG!!! Today, I get a threatening e-mail saying my account is past due, and pay my bill immediately. When I go online, my subscription is canceled, I owe nothing, I have no subscription activity. What a racket! I will NEVER, as long as I live, subscribe to this magazine again. I'm tired of the bait and switch, shady accounting, and threatening tactics toward a customer who paid their bill on time, and would have renewed if treated with some basic courtesy and respect. BHG, I am SO done with you!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2010 11:02:31 AM PDT
Morgan Casey says:
I keep getting letters in the mail that state we have been patient with you but your bill is now seriously delinquent. We fully expect you to resolve this situation as honorably as you began it..... Seriously. I don't want to renew!!! Stop threatening me..... This is deceptive.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2011 3:32:03 AM PST
You might try Amazon auto-renewal. Looks like they solve all the problems mentioned in their PR details:
# We'll renew on your behalf, so you never miss an issue.
# The publisher won't send you renewal notices.
# You'll always receive the lowest price available at Amazon.com for your subscription term.
# Cancel anytime using Amazon's Magazine Subscription Manager and receive a refund for any unshipped issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 2:03:33 PM PDT
K. Moore says:
I've been getting these as well, and not just from BHG. Family Circle, Woman's Day, and even Consumer Reports (what the heck!?) have been sending me these nasty-grams. My response so far has been to ignore them until they threaten to suspend my paid for subscriptions, and then respond with a nasty letter of my own.

My husband's grandmother was also getting them and of course paid them, and when she moved into assisted living two years ago, she had magazines that were renewed out until 2015!

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 2:57:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 2:58:18 PM PDT
Same thing with me. As a loyal subscriber for three years, I recently started receiving these fake past due notices. I always remove myself from auto-renew, but I always pay when it's time for renewal. I pay for my subscription in advance (how would one even receive the magazine if not?) so I KNOW I don't owe a dime. When I responded to their deceiving late notices, they canceled my subscription! Seriously, I love this magazine, but I most likely will not renew again because of their tactics.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 12:11:24 PM PDT
Amazonian says:
I just sent bhg an email asking to be removed from their mailing list for exactly the same reason. Don't send me a "renewal notice" worded like I've missed payment. I wonder how many little old ladies get them selves in a panic to send the money in for fear they will get in trouble otherwise. I hope someone sues.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 12:20:02 PM PST
Jeff M says:
I am with all of you too (and sure there are many more that don't frequent here/know to come here to find all this out). My input here is that they auto-renew at $40 for a year, whereas a new subscription is $10 on Amazon (granted some are called introductory offers). As well the wife counted the amount of advertisements in the mag and it was close to 75% with one of them, that is where they get their money, very little is needed from us to run the mag ;-).

I had some of the same lies on my subscriptions becoming expired from Readers Digest, and Country Magazine (worse from CM, and quite some effort to scare you into paying or else!). We all hate this BUT, just think of the elderly (that often get RD and CM) who have a hard time remembering if they paid!!! This is taking advantage of our elderly people, that really grinds me and is a disgusting and unacceptable way to treat people, or run a business!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2013 2:16:59 AM PST
Ivan says:
They keep sending out these notices.
My mom got one and was worried about bad credit because of the threat that she hadn't payed and her bill was past due....
Luckily I was able to throw away the letter before she sent out the 8.97 payment that was "past due" ...
I logged onto her online account.. And shows her subscription expires in Dec 2014 , I cancelled the account and changed it to my name, so they can send me their fake past due letters and they will go straight to my shredder.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2013 2:48:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2013 2:50:13 AM PST
Jeff M says:
I hear you Ivan!

And this is also an update to my last post! Back in February of this year/2013 I called their subscription services department to demand (seeing their treatment to others here, I skipped the more polite "request") they cancel my subscription. It is now December and they are still sending me mags, and billing my credit card!!! So I called again, got names of those I talked to (though most are fake names) and was very gruff with the person there and said they will cancel my subscription; "do you hear me, I want it canceled now and no more lies or excuses, just do it!!!!" See if that makes a difference.

Its disgusting the growth and amount of greed that has gone on over the years, that so many companies now have gotten comfortable with it, practicing this with no shame. Greed is profits with no regard to others, or the company's reputation. But we have a voice with the Internet, and with Amazon here!

Like I said, with 75% of Better Homes and Gardens pages being advertisements, why spend the money to buy it in the first place, it has no value, and its owners are unscrupulous!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (366 customer reviews)

$41.88 $5.99