25 of 27 people found the following review helpful
Fun, but not worth the $60 price tag
, June 12, 2011
This review is from: Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
We pre-ordered Green Lantern months ago, so we were excited when it arrived. The game is certainly fun, but it's not excellent and I would advise potential buyers to wait until the price is more reasonable.
1. Excellent graphics. The game looks really good, and the different worlds you visit are detailed.
2. The fighting is really fun. There are many combos and "constructs," which are new moves you earn along the way. I was a little afraid that all of these different moves would make fighting confusing, but it works well. Fighting enemies with a baseball bat, large hammer, machine gun, and fighter jet (among others!) is extremely satisfying. Every time you upgrade your fighting, the moves actually look different and more impressive.
3. There are a limited number of puzzles. None are extremely challenging, but they take some time and add some dimension to the game.
1. This game is really short. I will add the caveat that I was playing with 2 players , so I'm sure it would take longer with only one player. But with 2 players, we easily beat this in about 5 hours.
2. You can only have one saved game at a time.
3. Ryan Reynolds' voice acting is pretty bad. His Hal Jordan sounds very flat throughout, to the point where I almost found it distracting.
4. This game is filled with hints. There is no exploring and never any confusion about what you're supposed to do next. Whenever you're supposed to move an object or open a door, it lights up. Makes things too easy in my opinion.
5. We had a few technical glitches. One was minor: in one area, the two characters and the ground suddenly disappeared, then reappeared. The second glitch was far more annoying. During the second to last big battle (the Manhunter with Kilowog inside), you are in a circular room. The camera circles around as you move, and every couple of seconds your view gets completely blocked by the wall. Irritating!
6. You cannot fly in most of the game. There are a few flight levels, which I found to be annoying. It was tricky to aim and fire your weapons accurately, so we mostly just flew around shooting at random until the levels were over. Thankfully, the flight levels are very short.
Overall, I enjoyed playing this game. The fighting in particular was very fun, which is good: 90% of this game is fighting. But the game was too easy and much too short. I wish I hadn't paid full price for this game!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?