1.0 out of 5 stars New formula doesn't remove smudges, June 28, 2010
"Brasso" has recently undergone a formula change, and unfortunately the new formula no longer does the job.

Brasso now only works if the brass is smudge-free to begin with. Any brass that contains smudges will not be satisfactorily cleaned and polished with this new formula.

As long as the brass is only dull, and NOT smudged, the new formula will work. But most people buy brasso to remove smudges (which it did very well prior to the formula change).

If brasso does not return to the old formula, or at least offer it as an alternative product - perhaps they could name it "Classic Brasso" - then I will never be buying it again or recommending it ever again (I have been recommending it since the 1970's).

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 16, 2011 11:46:13 AM PDT
used Brasso since the 60's.
Best or was the best available for lamps,vases etc.
i cannot soak a lamp in ammonia as a prior user suggested.
My lamp is getting duller & duller. No store has it.
Finally found it on Amazon. Its terrible every user who loved original Brasso cries!
Can't the new company go back to original formula....
I will purchase new formula, & hope smudges are few..
C

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 2:20:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2011 2:21:18 PM PDT
If you import it from Europe or Australia you can have the old formula back. It was not Reckitt's fault that they had to change the formula in the US, it was some dumb nanny-state legislation that forced them to.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 8:29:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2011 8:30:54 AM PST
Roger B says:
I agree the new formula for Brasso is rubbish! It smells like petrol, it is thin and watery and the shine only lasts a couple of days now instead of several weeks.
So the Americans made them change the formula?
Wake up Reckitt Benkhiser, this is the United Kingdom. Bad enough we have to do what the crazy Europeans tell us, now we have to kow tow to the USA!
Bring back proper Brasso or at least admit on the tin that it's a poor substitute.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 3:02:51 PM PST
Carole Kefer says:
I agree 100 %! Been using it for 25 years on my brass pipe railings. With the "new" formula in the bottle, the railings are dull and cloudy. Where can I get the old can???

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 12:16:16 AM PDT
S. Evans says:
So I am not the only one who thinks the "new and improved" Brasso is crap! I have been using the "old formula" Brasso for years on a multitude of things from brass, copper, silver and even as a plastic polish and scratch remover. The new stuff is rubbish! Not only does it not make my silver shine and create a mirror like finish it makes fine scratches in it. I already threw out my new bottle and have borrowed the last of my Mom's brasso for the time being. I don't know why they changed a product that has worked fine for the last 60 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 9:37:24 PM PDT
M. T. Cohen says:

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 12:27:22 PM PDT
greekenigma says:
The new Brasso does not clean gold at all and does a horrible job on brass. I will not be using it anymore because it is a waste of money to buy a product that does not clean like it used to. Whose bright idea was it to change the formula and ruin the product??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 4:10:47 PM PST
D. Creekmur says:
I just tried to order it from Amazon.uk and all went well until I entered the shipping address. Apparently as soon as it discovered I was shipping to the USA, I was blocked and had to cancel. Brasso is there - just can't get it here. Have you had any luck? How, where? (and I apologize for my post being well over a year since your original comment.) DC, Illinois. I've only got a few drops left in my Brasso tin!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›