5.0 out of 5 stars The Lombax And Robot Duo Are Back...AGAIN!!, September 5, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet & Clank Collection (Video Game)
I didn't really start gaming again until I bought a PS3 back in 2010. At the time, I wasn't sure what to get so I curiously perused IGN's TOP 25 PS3 games and saw that Ratchet & Clank Future Tools Of Destruction had made the list. With its tantalizing Pixar-like imagery, I was intrigued and purchased it.

And played it to death. I immediately followed up with Quest for Booty and A Crack In Time.

I was hooked. Then, my 8-year old daughter and I saw an opportunity in Ratchet and Clank All 4 One. Was it Ratchet and Clank Future? No, but it allowed the father/daughter team that had previously bested Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 to play again and we enjoyed it despite the sneers that some greeted it with.

Then I learned that the original Ratchet and Clank trilogy was being re-released on the PS3 in one collection. My daughter and I traded a look and the pre-purchase was instant; our PS3 slim model won't support PS2 disc-based games so we knew that this was going to be our one and only shot of experiencing how such a remarkable game series that ensnared us both got started to begin with.

Of course, I was a little apprehensive. Some HD updates have worked and others haven't (Silent Hill anyone? although they DID finally patch it on PS3). Was a PS2-era game going to wow me?

Unequivocally, yes yes YES! The work is phenomenal. An IGN reviewer stated that the controls were "buttery" (extremely smooth) and OH, they ARE! You can tell that the games were from a PS2 era, but you can also see how Insomniac must have definitely and quite fully utilized the PS2's potential just as much as the Future trilogy used the PS3. Gameplay levels are beautifully remastered. Cutscenes do show their age, but it's not as bad as some of the others that I've seen out there.

If you're familiar with a number of the Future controls, you'll almost feel instantly at home from the startup of the original and it won't take long for you to work out the few controls that are different. The 3D is also quite well-done, although it will drop to 30 fps instead of the 60 fps that you'll experience without it. That said, it's still pretty smooth and if 3D is your thing, then you don't have anything to fear. If it's not, you still will be quite pleased with the work done on this title. This is a remaster that was done RIGHT.

My daughter and I are loving it immensely and if you've never played Ratchet and Clank before, you should...now! Insomniac's beloved duo has made a much welcomed return...and, in our case, a welcome first-time arrival. Fully recommended!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2012 6:05:49 PM PDT
SCB says:
Hi,
I was wondering to know if there is a 2-player option in the games where me and my wife could play together side by side?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 9:03:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 8:38:11 AM PDT
Maek says:
I believe that you can in the 3rd game, although I have not tried that out yet...will post once I do. Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, however, allows up to 4 people to play on the same PS3 simultaneously. My daughter and I enjoyed that quite a bit, although it can be quite challenging towards the last 1/4th of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2015 7:25:35 AM PST
AF says:
The third game of the trilogy has a sort of player vs. player "deathmatch" option, where you battle each other on some of the maps from the game. I can't recall if it allows 4 player splitscreen, but my son and I only ever played one on one, and it wasn't terribly exciting. There is no co-op in any of the R&C games, which is a shame. These are some of the best games of all time, and my son and I have beaten each one multiple times, but they're single player.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (290 customer reviews)

$19.99 $16.95