Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix G Series DMC-G6KK Mirrorless Digital Camera with 14-42mm II Lens Kit (Black) (Electronics)
Over all this is a great camera, I've been a Professional Photographer for over 45 years, and though I'm now semi-retired, I still do some work and I teach at Wayne County Community College- Downriver. I also teach for Digital Photo Academy, so I keep up with the latest in photography. I've been doing Hybrid photography for about 6 months and this camera may be the best camera out there for that type of photography. If you do not know what Hybrid photography is, go to CreativeHybridPhotography.com to learn more.
Now on to the camera:
I have an Nikon D90, Kodak DCS760, Panasonic G5, several Rollie TLR's Rollie SL66, Ricoh GR IV, along with several other cameras that I've used over the years. I have to say the G5 is a great camera and the G6 improves on it. Which one is the best to buy, depends on if the extra features on the G6 is worth an additional $400 to you. The viewfinder on the G6 is brighter and faster than the G5, but the G5's finder is still very good. The touch screen is more responsive on the G6. Low light focus was better on the G6, but an update that was released 5 days ago brings the G5 up to the same level. The G6 added Panorama and I have to say it is the best I've seen on any camera to date. Overall I can say that I will do recommend both the G5 and G6 to any of my students that is interest in buying a new camera.
The new 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 lens is a great improvement over the older lens that came with the G5. Even though I was happy with the IQ of the old lens, the build quality was only fair to good and zooming was jerky and very bad for video. The new lens is smooth in zooming and much better build quality.
I've only had the camera for 3 days, so I'm not sure if there are bugs in the software, or I'm just not doing something right. I notice that when I re-format the card, I'm able to continue on with the file numbering on my still shots, but my video re-starts the numbering a 000. I'm hoping to find a way to turn that off, but as of now have not found it.

Overall if you are looking for a great camera at a fair to good price, go with the G6, if you are looking for a camera that is just a small step below great, but at a Great Price go with the G5.

As I use this camera more I will update this to keep you informed. By the way as of now I rated this as 4 stars, but only because I do not have all the answers about this camera. If this camera keeps performing as it has been 5 stars will not be enough.

7/28/13 update: After using the camera for a while I can say it is great! What I thought was bugs are not there. We every thing works.

8/24/13 Update: I still love this camera, but as all products, it is not perfect. What I'm going to be talking about here may be bugs and if they are I hope Panasonic can fix them with an update, or they just may be a problem that I can fix with more research or help from others that had the same problems. So here goes.

1. The worst problem is that I will sometime be taking video and when I stop recording the camera freezes and nothing works. Turning it off does not solve the problem and only a battery pull get the camera working again. I'm using a Sony card that is 64gb and is class 10 U1. It may be a card problem since I do not seem to run in to this problem until I have over a 100 photos on the card. It could also be a bug in the camera since one time it happened with there was only a 120 shot on the card and the next time it happened after the card was formatted and over 500 shots were on the card. I have several other cards, but none of them are 64gb so I'm not sure that testing them would really give me an answer. If any of you have run in to this problem, please let me know.

2. When I re-format the card my photos continue the numbering where I left off. This is what I like, but the video file re-start at zero. So I end up with many duplicate file name on videos and therefore need to re-name them. I've looked through all the menus and cannot seem to find a way to turn this off, even though they do have a way to re-set the still photos numbering system. Please let me know if any of you are having the same problem and if you have found a fix for it. Thanks!

I will update this with any answers and fixes I come up with. Until then, for the money and quality of this camera it is still 5 stars to me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2013 10:42:55 AM PDT
A Reader says:
I have been using the G5 for about 6 months, but not very much. My main camera is the Panasonic DMC-LX5. That one reminds me of the film Leica M2 with the 3 f2 lens--35, 50, 90
I would like the G5/6 better if there was a good prime lens about 50mm f2, for less than the price of the kit camera. Be nice if they put the lens from the LX5 in a mount for this camera.

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:37:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2013 8:37:23 AM PDT
About numbering on the videos, that is just normal, it happens to me as well on the G5, when I format the card the counting goes back to 0. I also wish there was a way to have a number of all the videos I have taken, but this is not a big deal for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2014 9:23:26 AM PDT
If you like shooting with manual lenses there are tons of old (but professional quality) Nikon and Canon lenses available. I own a Lumix GH1 and have purchased several vintage Nikon lenses (and a Fotodiox lens adapter) in excellent condition. My favorite lens is a 50mm Nikon (Nikkor) f/1.4, made in Japan, which I purchased on eBay for less than $100 bucks. Just remember that the micro four thirds format has a 2X multiplier for focal lengths, so my 50mm lens is the equivalent of a 100mm lens in micro four thirds world.

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 12:27:36 PM PDT
Johnny Davis says:
Hugh, thanks for the thorough review. I'm using a G5 and plan to upgrade to the G6 in the near future, mostly for the mic input, but to enjoy all the new features and improved quality. I wanted to share my video file workflow in case it would be helpful to offset the video file naming issue. I capture video exclusively in AVCHD for best quality, then save only the STREAM folder with the .MTS files. I rename the STREAM folder to STREAM-date-subject, like STREAM-10102014-carshow. I edit the mts files with my video editor program and save in the best format for my use, often mp4. I almost never have a need/reason to use/share the mts files, so the duplicate names are never even seen unless I need to combine clips from more than one session. In that case I just copy the duplicate clip and append an additional character, like 0000-2.MTS.

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 7:57:38 AM PST
Dotguvguy says:
Thanks for mentioning the IQ improvements on the kit lens. I'm always concerned about that, since so many of them are mediocre or worse. This camera will likely be my introduction to the world of Four Thirds photography and video.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›