3.0 out of 5 stars an okay read, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Their Virgin Captive, Masters of Ménage, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
As a Shayla Black fan, I really wanted more from this story. I got a little bit but not enough. I thought some aspects of the stalker plot were too easy and even nonsensical. So much more could have been done with that. I love a good stalker romance where the h needs protection, where there's some suspense and fear for her safety, but I feel this half-baked stalker plot was there only to push the three brothers and Hannah (I just had to go back and look for her name. That's how much she stood out to me) together, and only for that reason. And that forced time together really could have been done anywhere, with or without the stalker incentive. The whole stalker thing just seemed sort of half-thought out.

As for Hannah, man, did that chick have some TSTL moments. I get that she was conflicted. She's a sweet little virgin whose romance novels have turned her on to menage and D/s; yet, she wants to make sure these boys get that submissive doesn't mean weak or stupid. So to prove her independence and her will, she goes off and does these silly things, like not putting stronger locks on her door, going off to town alone, arguing about having her phone back, arguing about being under these men's protection, all the while with some stalker fixated on her. But I guess since the stalker wasn't really that scary most of the time, it made perfect sense to go hop-scotching around, oblivious, trying to prove a point.

As for the brothers, they were sexy. There's no denying that. While Gavin's behavior did annoy me, and I don't know if some of the things he said to Hannah were forgivable, whatever intention he put behind them, the man just didn't seem to mesh with the menage. Maybe he should have had his own story, one where tortured hero finds his own soulmate, alone. He wasn't even used to sharing with his brothers, I don't think. Now the two other brothers, Slade and Dex, were all into sharing and they made sense in their pursuit of Hannah. All the brothers were hot, Dex most especially. I have to say the menage scenes were erotic, although the bdsm aspect could have been much better conceived.

While I liked the dominant alpha heroes, I needed more story, stalker or no stalker, a stronger and deeper heroine, and bdsm action that felt more real. The sex and the guys were hot, but it's not enough to make this story for me. Overall, this was just an okay read for me. It wasn't a strong page-turner. I'm hoping the next book in the series is better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2011 9:56:27 PM PDT
Readiva says:
Dear S. Richards,

I really wish that I had read your review before purchasing Their Virgin Captive, Masters of Menage, Book 1. I just finished reading it and everything you have written in your review I totally agree with. I am a Shayla Black fan but this book misses the mark. Gavin was the biggest, whining jerk hero that I have ever read from Ms. Black (or any other author)! Great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 11:06:42 PM PDT
S. Richards says:
Thank you, Readiva. Appreciate your comment. :)

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 1:48:25 AM PDT
I have to agree with you both. I am a huge Shayla Black fan (she has hit it out of the park with each book I have read) but this one is lacking for each of the reasons S. Richards stated. Gavin's character felt very whiny and annoyed me half the time and I wanted to kick Hannah. The whole menage/BDSM aspect felt very rushed and thrown together- it really didn't follow any cohesive, thought out steps. I mean from one tiny look in her apartment, it's decided that this woman needs to submit to basically all three of these guys without any of them really getting to know each other and to build up a trusting relationship. And then 2 pages later this virgin is submitting after a few spanks. I think this could have been fleshed out so much better then it was. Hopefully the second book will be better.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 1:45:35 PM PDT
Janine,
I definitely agree with you that the romance/relationship needed to make more sense. Would have been nice to see it unfold in a more real way. The sex was good and erotic, but the romance element got short-changed.
As for the bdsm, it felt off to me, just not very real, feeling more like just a prop.

Janine & Readiva,
You know that scene where Hannah is throwing shot glasses at Gavin? I really wanted one to connect right between his eyes.lol But heck, she could have used a knock to the noggin as well.
SR

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 1:58:31 PM PDT
OMG I was hoping the same thing!! LOL I was sad when one didn't hit him lol!

I think I realized the problem with the relationships (at least part of it) - we only got to see the sexual culmination of it rather then the build up. Apparently they had already built a relationship during the previous year but we were only told about it, we didn't get to actually see it. I think had we seen more of the "dating" or getting to know each other it might have been better. As for the BDSM storyline, I could have done without it. And I am a huge fan of Shayla Blacks Dom/sub relationships! This fell way short of her usual standards.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 8:13:23 PM PDT
S. Richards says:
You're totally right, and that's one of my favorite things to see happen in a story, that build-up.
SB's website shows the next book for 12/24, Their Virgin's Secret.
See you then! :)