5.0 out of 5 stars Nespresso's best machine ever reinvents in-home Cappuccino, October 4, 2011
This review is from: DeLonghi Blue Lattissima Plus Nespresso Capsule System (Kitchen)
Nespresso has long been known for their espresso makers, especially in Europe (where you see them everywhere). They've had separate gadgets for making milk-based drinks like cappuccino and lattes, too, and for the last couple of years we've owned one of those coffee-making duos, the Nespresso Citiz and Aeroccino Plus. They were big hits at home, especially when guests visited. So after seeing their new combo unit, the Latissima+, we had to give that a try. This review will primarily look at the device as an upgrade over those two separate components, since the integrated milk steamer is such a big part of this machine, but it should also help people just starting out with Nespresso or anyone upgrading from an espresso-only model.

Pros:
Just One Button for Cappuccino/Latte
This makes a huge difference, which is a bit surprising. After all, we had a perfectly good milk frother in the Aeroccino Plus. The problem was that even though it was fast and cleanup was easy, using a separate gadget to heat and froth the milk added enough steps to the process that we just didn't do it very often, despite our best intentions. Now with the Lattissima+ it's just a single button, and we use it almost every time.

Real Steamed Milk
Say what you want about the clever heated+frothed milk in the older Aeroccino models; it still wasn't quite the same as freshly steamed milk froth. That's what you get in the Lattissima+ -- pure steamed milk. Huzzah. You have full control over the level of foaminess with a simple knob on top.

QUIET!
Steaming milk at home is usually loud enough to wake the dead; it's just not something you do if you expect anyone to remain asleep anywhere in the house. The Lattissima+ changes that -- it's genuinely quiet when steaming. It's not silent, mind-you, but you probably won't wake someone in another room with it. The only time you hear a loud-ish steam noise is when cleaning it, which you can safely put off until a little more noise is acceptable.

Easy Preparation & Cleanup
Nespresso really nailed the ease-of-use with the detachable milk unit: add milk, make your beverage, and toss it in the fridge until next time. A single press of the "clean" button blows steam through the milk nozzle for a few seconds to clean it out before you put it away. Brilliant. The container is dishwasher-safe, too.

Tidy Design
Not quite as tall as the older Citiz, this stylish compact cube is about as small as one could expect a combination unit to be. The footprint is smaller than the combo Citiz + Aeroccino models, and the cord stores neatly under the base. The used-capsule container seems to be a bit larger than the one in the Citiz, and it is less fussy to empty since the retractable coffee cup pedestal is separate. It's Italian-made, and it runs more quietly than our Swiss-made Citiz, with less of a buzzing noise coming from the 19-bar pump. It's an elegant design overall.

Capsules
I won't go into too much detail here since there are lots of other places to read about the Nespresso capsules, but in brief: surprisingly good espresso, real crema every time, good selection, and fast & easy online or phone ordering & delivery. If I call before 4pm, my order shows up the next day. Great service from the Nespresso Club.

Cons:
Water Container Size
The new water container is ever so slightly smaller than the one in the Citiz (0.9 vs 1.0 Liters), but you'll be using it both for espresso/coffee and for milk steaming, so it runs empty pretty quickly. Mitigating this is the handy combination lid+handle, making it easy to grab the unit and refill. The container is wide and narrow, and it doesn't rise above the back of the unit the way the previous models do, so if you are accustomed to pouring in the water without removing the container, that will be more of a challenge. Removal and replacement are easier than before, though, so it's not much of an issue overall.

Overall: It's fabulous.

I'll update this review as we get more experience with our Lattissima+.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2011 2:59:15 PM PST
I appreciated your review and am contemplating purchasing this as well. Please update and let us know what your thoughts are after several months of use.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 4:20:18 PM PST
GW™ says:
Same here.
They demo'd the Pixie (with the separate frother) at Williams-Sonoma for me & I suddenly became a coffee lover.

This unit was sitting right next to the pixie but the sales lady kinda steered me away from it. However, I tend to like lattes when I order out & this machine seemed to have a button especially FOR those.

Would this dandy little machine be too much for a doofus beginner like me to figure out? Like I say....I've never been a big coffee drinker, especially at home, but these little machines make great tasting coffee!

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:06:54 AM PST
Update: 4 months in.

Close to 500 usages so far (about 4 per day on average). We still love this machine. Some notes:

- it drips more than our older ones, especially after making an americano (running with no capsule, to add hot water after the espresso shots). It has a much larger drip tray so it's not usually an issue (provided we empty it every couple of weeks), but we often just put a small cup there when not in use, for easier emptying.

- I noticed some reviews where people report their unit didn't puncture the capsules. We actually had about 3 capsules in a row that did that earlier this month; none before and none since. After finding a capsule that worked, those previous 3 ended up working too, if I remember correctly; strange event. Perhaps something was keeping them from seating properly (there were no used capsules in the machine). We're keeping an eye on it, but so far so good. We got ours from Sur la Table (highly recommended), so it'll be exchangeable literally forever if a problem develops.

All in all, we are very, very happy with this purchase. Great machine, and super convenient. With that, I think it's time for another cup of coffee...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 7:18:34 AM PST
We find ours very easy to use. We have some tall cups we got from Nespresso, and I make my lattes using 2 shots, as follows:

- fill the milk unit and plug it in (make sure you extend the milk spout so it points at the cup -- easy to forget sometimes)
- make the first shot as an espresso (bottom left button)
- turn the milk unit to "less foam" (all the way left)
- add the second capsule and press the latte button (top right) and watch it go

After you're done, put an empty cup under the milk spout and hold down the clean button until it stops (takes several seconds as it blows steam through the spout) then put the milk container in the fridge and enjoy your fresh latte :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 9:33:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 9:43:50 AM PST
Lynne says:
DeLonghi Silver Lattissima Plus Nespresso Capsule System
I have had my Latissima Plus since October and LOVE it! After about 3 months (January), I noticed that when I pressed the "clean" button on the milk steamer/frother attachment, a lot of water was pouring out with a lot less steam and, when I made a latte, the steam/foam was watery. The dial on top has never worked (no matter what setting it is on, the amount of foam is exactly the same). I have been working with Nespresso to have this problem resolved and apparently will need to send the machine in for repair. My question to you is: when you are pressing the "clean" button, is there a lot of water that runs out along with the steam? I don't remember it doing that before, but something is definitely different. I also purchased my machine at Sur la Table, so maybe I would be better off dealing with them. Thanks for your time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 10:02:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 10:03:18 AM PST
@Lynne:

I don't get much water with the steam when cleaning. Some, but not a lot. Maybe it needs descaling and isn't getting hot enough for steam? It probably would be easier to let Sur la Table deal with it, since you won't have to mail it to Nespresso yourself (or do without it while waiting!).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 9:47:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 9:50:03 PM PST
Lynne says:
Michael,
Thanks for the information. I just received my 3rd "loaner" from Nesprsso. The first loaner was missing parts and the second loaner didn't produce a satisfactory latte. Maybe the third time is the charm. (In the meantime, I still have my original machine.) If not, Sur la Table, here I come!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:06:40 AM PST
I noticed that the product name for this machine is DeLonghi. It looks exactly like the Nespresso-branded one on Nespresso's site. Are they definitely the same machine? Does Nespresso back the DeLonghi brand? I need to replace my old Nespresso machine, and I was blown away by their customer service; however, I'm not confident that a DeLonghi-branded one will get the same attention.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2013 3:34:06 PM PDT
John R says:
DeLonghi makes the device for Nespresso "system", so yes, if it's the "Latissima Plus" model, it's made by DeLonghi. DeLonghi is a trusted high-end brand, so no need to worry (excellent worksmanship and no issues for the past month of repeated daily use so far).

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 7:28:13 PM PDT
Have had this machine for about a month now and love it! Does anyone else's seem loud sometimes and very quiet others when making espresso? Seems the difference is both when making espresso and milk drinks. It also seems to go longer at times on the espresso part of milk drinks (not sure if the volumes of espresso are different).

I'm wondering if some of the capsules cause different levels of volume (loudness) or speed of brewing. Would appreciate input!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (407 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $250.00