5.0 out of 5 stars The Encyclopedia of Country Living, November 5, 2012
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Country Living, 40th Anniversary Edition: The Original Manual of Living Off the Land & Doing It Yourself (Paperback)
In 1998 my husband, our four year old son and I moved from the city to 11.93 acres in the middle of nowhere. We lived for two years without running water or electricity. From my first copy of The Encyclopedia of Country Living I learned how to milk a goat and raise my hogs. I learned how to dress out a large animal and brooder chicks with kerosene lanterns. Not that I read this book a lot or anything, but I literally wore the covers off of the copy that I ordered from Lehman's Non-Electric Hardware Store.

I'm on my second copy now, which my husband had drilled with a three hole punch to give it more staying power. I highly recommend this book to learn the life-style of self-sufficiency. Self-sufficiency is a mind set and a life-style. I highly recommend it.

My son is 18 years old and a freshman in college now. I am an old woman of nearly 55. I wouldn't give up my memories or skills for anything. This is a fantastic reference book, and really, the only one you'll ever need.

One other note: I wrote Ms. Emery about some health problems I was having and she wrote me back! I'll never forget her kindness to a stranger. One of my deepest regrets is I did not get to meet her. As a struggling author here on Amazon I find her achievements amazing. I hope her family reads this and knows how much her writing meant to our family. God bless you, Ms. Emery. I hope you can know how much your postcard meant to me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 3, 2013 6:54:34 AM PST
Eric Brown says:
I'm curious, why would someone like you send your child to college? I have young children now, and I'm thinking that college generally goes against the values and abilities I want to build in my children, but I also want to challenge my thinking on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2013 7:45:06 AM PDT
I would say, for myself, that a lot depends on the college, the course of study, and the attitude of the person thinking of going. Especially at the bachelor's level, there can be a huge broadening in general knowledge; meeting people of varied backgrounds, philosophies of life, and viewpoints; and...especially in the arts, a tremendous amount of skills that can easily translate to self-sufficiency. (I say this from experience -- I have a Bachelor of Fine Art in Studio Ceramics: I can find, dig, clean, process, form, fire, and finish pots from riverbank clay to finished, glazed pot. I also can form metal, know how to take wool from sheep to shawl and weave; I learned basketry and papermaking skills; I am comfortable with both rough and fine woodworking. Perhaps it is also that I grew up rural raising animals, fruit trees and veggies for food, but I truly think college helped me become a well-rounded adult who was able to bring even more to the self-sufficiency table, so to speak.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 8:52:34 PM PDT
Hello and GREAT Question. I am mid 30s and finishing up my last year of college. I chime in here to maybe give a different perspective. I suggest that college has helped me open my eyes to many more things in life. My heart is working the ground and being a homesteader but understanding others for me is well worth the efforts. I am not telling you I am going to use all the information or brain washing that I have gone through but I see things a bit more clear and it has helped me understand more of about everything. It has also focused my eye on what is important as well as made it easier to identify BS. Worth the efforts but I am taking this later in life so I have a different view than your standard college student. Hope this helps you.

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 6:59:21 AM PST
Johnny O. says:
Regarding college, the university may offer experience in life, however, the purpose is to develop skills and knowledge which will yield a substatially greater income and quality of life. If one wishes to gain access to other perspectives in life, go traveling. In college, do something practical such as engineering (top five jobs at this time of writing in the US are all engineering) or other discipline of demonstrable return for your time and expense. If one uses college as a cultural experience plus tuition, one's real education is going to be living with the student loans.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›