5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop of my dreams!, June 24, 2012
This review is from: ASUS G75VW-DS72 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I researched laptops for a month before I bought my ASUS G75VW-DS72. I'm a video shooter/editor and I was tired of the lags and skips on hi-def AVI files. I ordered the ASUS from Amazon and hoped for the best. I received it it the mail five days before I expected it.

WOW did I do some awesome research. This laptop is SCREAMING FAST. My previous laptop was pretty fast, it rendered a 10 minute DV-AVI in about 20 minutes. My new ASUS renders the same 10 minute video in less than 2 minutes! POW!

I won't miss the bluescreen of death once a month that I'd come to expect with my previous model (VAIO). No disrespect, my VAIO was a real pal, a trooper that got me through MANY edits, but its newest reviews didn't impress me.

I am so happy with my new ASUS that I render movies I don't even need...just to watch the progress bar fly to the right. This laptop was clearly designed for gamers, but it's perfect for my video productions.

I have found all pros and no cons with my new ASUS. There is much joy in my heart each time I lift the lid.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2012 11:32:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 11:48:08 PM PDT
-- says:
I have to return my G75 and buy something else. Too many random system freezes requiring hard resets. Contacting Asus support has been a daily exercise in being ignored or insulted!

A month researching? What other laptops did you look at...? Your review lacks detail! What were the PROS and CONS? You've only listed PROS!!! Seriously, no cons at all? Nothing imperfect at all? Are you a paid reviewer? Can you confirm there are no problems with your Display or 670M Graphics card?

Did you look at the Samsung below? I ask, because the G75VW-DS72 has a lesser spec but is nearly $200 more than the Samsung! I know the DS72 has an SSD but the Samsung has a better video card and the DS72 overall lacks HD space. I thought video production guys needed every cent of hard disk space they could get?! I've seen the same Samsung too with 2TB at Micro Center for a few dollars more.

Samsung Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C-S01US 17.3-Inch Laptop

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:50:54 AM PDT
P. Mizulski says:
@Cannon:
Must have gotten a goodie. The review lacks cons because they're probably aren't any; and if there are any, they're probably insignificant. It's a shame that you and the other reviewer here have had awful experiences. The 670 is obviously the core of the issue; perhaps you guys should contact someone (yes, an actual person, ideally management, in tech) at Nvidia. After all, Asus - unless they're willing to recognize your problem and replace the chip - will obviously do nothing for you. I was eyeballing the G74 for about 6 months, until the G75 was released. Guess I'll be waiting another 6 months to a year for the G76 ;) By the way, do you own this particular model? I saw your review for the 3D model, but that was a verified purchase. So then again, maybe it's the 3D (120, 240 Hz?) panel that's causing your problems. If you can get the machine fired back up again, maybe you should try hooking it up to an external panel. Just a thought. Whatever happens, hopefully you figure it out. It's ridiculous to pay 2 grand for a brick.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:41:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 11:25:29 AM PDT
-- says:
ASUS and NVDIA shouldn't be using their early G75 adopters / customers as Guinea Pigs.....

"For about the price of a pint of Guiness at you local pub"...Irish? :)
You're happy with your G75, or waiting for a G76 it wasn't clear?
Yes mine is DS73, but I reviewed the DS72 because its also 670M based!
The problem is more widespread than just two reviews as you can see here :-

Its that NVIDIA / ASUS have released hardware ahead of stable drivers. Not the first time or the last time! If you follow the post along you'll get two more posts where you'll see the GeForce crowd are working on a BETA Driver. And if you follow that link you'll see many more comments about hardware and games that are and aren't working with the beta. This is a big problem, its not isolated as you make it seem!

The key point is-- this laptop cost TWO GRAND. It should haven't have been sold without stable drivers. I didn't want to be unwittingly part of developer-tester cycle! That's not what I signed up to when I paid those hard-earned dollars! If they had thrown in a 690 for free I'd say fair enough. But that's not what happened here, and ASUS and NVDIA shouldn't be using their early G75 adopters / customers as Guinea Pigs. But that's exactly what they're doing right now!

Thankfully my system isn't a brick as I can still use it, so I won't risk the beta as the crashes haven't been confirmed as display related. But it still crashes randomly about once a day, which is a pain! So in short, its an intermittent problem and one which will be hard for tech support to reproduce and therefore resolve. Sure, my G75's random crashes could be troubleshot more easily if I could get a human at ASUS / NVDIA to update the 670M drivers ASAP!!! But getting a human anymore at a tech company is a Herculean task!! Ever tried contacting Facebook or Google?!

But the man problem for me is-- ASUS aren't honouring their International Warranty. I bought mine off Amazon.com while I was still in the US, but I've since moved to South America. The ASUS office here don't want to repair it, and the US office aren't doing anything to help. I would like to rule out the problem being driver related for everyone's sake and save on sending the unit back to the US. But we need a stable driver to know.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 10:32:27 AM PDT
KenTN says:
I'm looking at this laptop for video editing as well. What were the specs of your previous laptop that you rendered on? How's it handle HD editing? Thank You!

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 8:20:14 AM PDT
edcurliena says:
Can i know what specs are you having for your asus 75vw?
Cause I bought it last week and still waiting for the delivery. I will use it mainly for architecture software and hopefully it will work super fast like what you said. It has 16G RAM by the way. I'm quite nervous waiting for it as i spent considerably huge amount of money. Yeah, considered expensive for a student though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (33 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1,600.00