3.0 out of 5 stars Grid lines too dark; otherwise a fine moleskine, September 7, 2011
This review is from: Moleskine Classic Notebook, Large, Squared, Black, Hard Cover (5 x 8.25) (Classic Notebooks) (Hardcover)
This is another fine moleskine product. If you like the basic features of other moleskines this one will serve you well.

However, one drawback that will prevent me from buying this product again is that the grid lines are too dark. I tend to write in (mechanical) pencil so the grid lines on this product are too over barring (for my taste). The ruled journal has lighter lines but for some reason the Squared Notebook's grid lines are dark such that they make it notably more difficult to read your own writing (or sketches).

Not sure why the grid lines need to be so dark but I would really enjoy this product if the grid lines were much lighter.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2011 9:50:07 AM PST
C. Marcet says:
Thanks for pointing this out. It's driving me crazy how hard it is to find a graphing notebook with thin, light lines.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 9:55:02 PM PST
Justin L says:
They use to be lighter. For some reason Moleskine changed the darkness -- I'm going crazy trying to find a replacement as well. Markings has a version but I don't like the cover -- feels cheap. Ecosystem makes a very nice product too, but lines are still too dark, squares are much smaller, and the paper is WHITE (I prefer the off-white paper in Moleskines). I'm hoping the Leuchtturm Medium Notebook, Dots will do the trick -- but it's not easy to find.

Posted on May 8, 2012 1:39:00 PM PDT
Miquelrius makes some nice notebooks that have lighter blue gridlines - wish I had known as I just bought this Moleskine for twice the price because I didn't want to walk all the way to the Blick store!

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 5:46:21 PM PDT
Abe Tenn says:
Really good to know. I cannot use this product then. I just bought an engineers computation pad and was keen to have a grid mole skin, because grid tend to be smaller than ruled lines and my writing is small. The back of the page has grid printed darkly so that on the front you can make out the grid, but it is visually unobtrusive and I use pencil and pen.

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 5:51:04 AM PDT
E_W says:
If you're really sold on Moleskine notebooks, as I am, you can work around the dark grid with a softer lead. I've been using my usual mechanical pencils, but B grade lead. I find that this helps make what I write stand out.

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 5:15:19 AM PDT
Brandon K. says:
I have had thirteen of these over the years and I have had too dark, too light, and just right lines. The lines have been lighter again in more recent (2013) product. It seems to be connected to which country is printing them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2013 11:31:20 AM PST
RubixCube says:
leuchtturm1917 is your answer.

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 11:32:31 AM PST
RubixCube says:
I have the same problem. I found this article addressing not only the dark grid lines, but also the overall fit and finish of Moleskines.

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 8:18:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2014 8:19:27 AM PDT
I agree 100% ...as an engineer I only need grid lines that provide a guide and not dominate my sketches and ideas...! I hope moleskine marketing department read your and our feedback...!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›