3.0 out of 5 stars Not That Loud., November 22, 2010
This review is from: Loud [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Last year, Rihanna released the depressing album "Rated R" with a more dramatic element to it. Just one year later, she comes out with the exact opposite with an album called "Loud". So I'm going to give you my "Track By Track" Review followed by my overall review.

1.)S&M *****- A catchy fun song about sex and being a dominatrix. She boast "I may be bad but I'm perfectly good at it". This is one of three songs with the typical POP beat that you'd heare Lady GaGa or Katy Perry sing over.

2.)What's My Name (Feat. Drake)***** - The song reminds me of "Rude Boy" but still works for me. I personally don't think Drake should be featured on the song because it doesn't really work that well. The solo version that leaked is the better version in my opinion, but its still a solid track.

3.)Cheers (Drink To That) *** - The song didn't immediately draw my attention, but after a few listens its enjoyable. Its just not a song I'd search for on my iPod, but also not a song I'd skip if it came on next.

4.)Fading **** - An emotional song about a relationship that's falling apart. The song came too soon in the track listing. It would've fit perfectly in the last section of the album along with "Love the Way You Lie Part II"

5.)Only Girl (In the World) **** - The first single and by far the "Loudest" track on the album. I personally think the albums title should have been changed to Only Girl or something better, because this song pretty much wraps up the theme of the over all album.

6.) California King Bed *** - Slow rock ballad about a couple who's growing apart. Basically "Fading" part II.

7.) Man Down * - I really don't like this song. It sounds really Reggae and her accent is a little too forced for my taste.

8.) Raining Man (Feat. Nicki Minaj) ***** - One of my favorites on the album. And even though I'm not really a Nicki Minaj fan, I appreciate her vocals on this track. My favorite part is the chorus. Especially the "Oh yeah yeah, Oh Oh Oh" part. You have to hear it!

9.) Complicated ***** - This song is amazing. It kinda of reminds me of a more pop version of Beyonce's song "Scared of Lonely". It features a dance beat, yet its a ballad. Another Must Listen!

10.) Skin **** - Sexy song. I'd actually rearrange the track list and put this somewhere in the early part of the album instead of the breakup songs. Slow start but afterwards, its a decent listen.

11.) Love The Way You Lie Part II (Feat. Eminem) *** - Its a decent song. The original is better to me, but its still decent. Eminem changes the vibe by yelling over it, but I can't hate on the best rapper of all time!

Overall the album is a pretty decent album. Its just All over the place. I don't believe it lives up to the title. Its basically the MTV of albums. Four out of eleven tracks are "LOUD". I'd Rearrange the Track listing also.

1.) S&M
2.) Only Girl (In The World)
3.) What's My Name (Feat. Drake)
4.) Cheers (Drink To That)
5.) Skin
6.) Man Down
7.) Complicated
8.) Fading
9.) California King Bed
10.) Raining Men (Feat. Nicki Minaj)
11.) Love the Way You Lie Part II

My opinion. ;)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2010 12:03:24 PM PST
LuKasAV6 says:
Great review! (You need to write more.) With you giving 7 of the 11 songs 4 or 5 stars, it seems like you would have given the CD 4 stars instead of 3.

And you are right about the order of the songs. What were they thinking? No fear - I rearranged the tracklisting on my iPod to the way it should have been. Yes!

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 7:10:30 PM PST
B. Moore says:
i agree you should be a music critic or something! GOOD JOB.! :)

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 10:52:54 PM PST
iAmAmazon says:
Really?Eminem The Best Rapper of All Time?! Maybe The Best Rapper Alive Today. But not of All Time. Sorry.Tupac is the King when it comes to Rap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 11:53:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2010 12:27:05 AM PST
rtsjr says:
I would have, But the songs order kind of messes it up for me.

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 5:26:02 AM PST
Good review, but I wouldn't say that the reggae accent on "Man Down" is forced. She was, after all, born and raised in Barbados. While reggae may not be as big in Barbados as in Jamaica, it is still a significant part of the music scene there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 8:10:03 PM PST
Super Sleuth says:
Agree about Man Down.

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 5:07:24 PM PDT
Nicole Lane says:
I thought "Rated R" wasn't very depressing at all except for "Russian Roulette" and "G4L" those songs aren't funny shiz!

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 10:36:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2011 6:22:14 PM PDT
Star Bux says:
Nice review. Well written. I think it was
Eminem who wrote the lyrics to 'Love the
way you lie'. Or it was a collaborative
effort. That said, I wish she had done the
duet with somebody else. Her voice is
amazing on that song. When she sings,
"You're just going to stand there and watch
me burn. I love the way you lie"... It reminds
me of the cover of Catwoman 55 (2007),
the Alan Hughes cover... But when I hear
Eminem's voice, it sounds like a horrible
automobile accident. It looks like the Joker
on the cover of 'The Killing Joke'. Ugly...
I like the song 'Stay' by Shakespeare's
Sister. An example of a duet with
complimentary harmonics, the feminine
and the masculine. Rather than one
sings well, and the other, not at all.
Is RAP, singing? The two styles do not
mesh. Stay, is an example of a Rembrandt
bleeding into a Monet, whereas Rihanna
and Eminem together, sound like Van Gogh
and Picasso. A total conflict of understanding,
like Jews negotiating with Gentiles.

In the movie 'Dark Knight' the actor who
played the Joker, I think, was playing a
woman who was attempting to pass for
a guy. That would explain all the "make
up", the mascara, and the violence.
Masculinity covers the feminine: It appears
to be a basic principle in nature. To wit,
a man's soul is female: See, Psalm 34:2, KJV.
Males who sing, or dance, are effeminate,
they uncover themselves.

Listening to the duet, he is expressing anger,
whereas she is not. Nor does she express
guilt. If you hurt somebody, you might feel
guilt, or only sadness. As in, "I know you
feel suicidal, but you know, if you do that
which the Bible calls abomination, you should
feel suicidal." She sounds sad, but not guilty.
Which is worse, to hurt somebody, or to be
hurt? I think to hurt another is far worse.
For how will you cover your shame? Whereas
anger, is something you can learn to live with.

The Second Coming is described as The Wrath

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 11:09:28 AM PDT
Star Bux says:

Posted on May 16, 2011 2:21:16 PM PDT
R. Jones says:
Man Down allows her to go back her roots...remember Pon De Replay. Her American accent is by far forced as she still becomes "Americanized"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (267 customer reviews)

Out of stock