1.0 out of 5 stars Besides so expensive, also problems with navigation & NO real page numbers, September 28, 2012
This review is from: George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 5-Book Boxed Set (Song of Ice and Fire Series): A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons (Kindle Edition)
My first review, and unfortunately it's a negative one. Despite the shocking high cost, I bought this set and picked up reading in book 2 from my spot in the physical book (which I'd bought recently from amazon before buying a Kindle). However, despite the advertising, the ebook did not contain real page numbers, and it was a huge pain to find my spot. Also, navigation to the various maps and appendices in the 5 books is cumbersome and poorly organized. For instance, viewing the appendix for book 5 loses my reading place in book 2, since it's "further." I can't zoom in on the maps, either, which is unacceptable. And this combo does not have X-Ray enabled (though the individually-purchased books do), which is essential for a series like this. Going to the Table of Contents takes you to a master table of contents at the beginning of the ebook rather than the TOC for the individual book you're reading, just making it all more cumbersome. I'm perplexed why this page also says the total page numbers are 819 for all 5 books. Finally, after persevering for a few days, I have returned the bundle tonight, very disappointed with amazon. If they fix these problems, deliver as advertised (and reduce the cost), I will probably try it again. Update: once Amazon adds real page numbers - as advertised! - and enables X-Ray, I will buy it today! How can I get this feedback to the publishers??

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2012 9:58:15 PM PDT
Thank you so much for pointing out glaring issues with the bundled version!

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 11:47:17 AM PDT
Erasure25 says:
The lack of X-Ray is a deal breaker for me. Thanks for pointing that out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 5:17:45 PM PDT
B. H. Smith says:
Does anyone know if X-Ray might be added later? And real page numbers? It's hard to believe there's no plan to include these features - they're practically made for the ASoIaF series! I'd like to buy the 5-book bundle and use X-Ray to look at characters throughout the series, and I've been checking amazon.com every day to see if X-Ray has been enabled, but not yet. Is there a way to contact the publisher and request these features or find out if they might be enabled later on? Thanks.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:02:04 PM PST
This problem was introduced in an update a few months ago, it was much better beforehand -- the publisher seems to have downgraded the book. I complained to Amazon this week as I've had to stop reading, they say they have contacted the publisher for a fix -- I imagine that a lot of people have brought it to their attention, so you never know we might be lucky and get an update. The cynical guy inside me thinks it's because the publisher wanted to sell the new set.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:39:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 10:40:35 AM PST
D. Preston says:
5216 pages this is the mass market paperback editions

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:06:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 12:06:59 PM PST
B. H. Smith says:
I see that now X-Ray is enabled! Huge improvement!

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 2:39:03 PM PST
Jake Lunn says:
I got this series from an alternate source and considered getting it from Amazon until I read this. The only reason to buy it from Amazon would be for X-Ray and the other useful features, but now I think I'll be avoiding it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 4:26:57 AM PST
Torok Istvan says:
It is enabled, but the characters have no info about them at all . Its a faulty xray which i reported yesterday to amazon and hope they will fix it soon.

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 3:43:59 AM PDT
C. Campanile says:
Thank you for the review ... wish I had read it before buying the bundle.

I have two paperbacks and thought buying the bundle would be a good idea; but the missing TOC for each book is a huge annoyance. I too returned the bundle; I'd rather pay more and get the individual versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2013 3:58:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2013 4:00:54 AM PDT
CaroleHarry says:
I have the UK Kindle ebook version. Use Bookmarks to mark Appendices & Maps. Maps can be enlarged & X-ray is enabled. Page numbers are an irrelevance in e-reading. Also, in my version each book has it's own chapter listing in the TOC. A dream to read on the Kindle fire, kindle for iPad & Paperwhite.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›