2.0 out of 5 stars Would be great if Low-Light video was better, May 4, 2010
This review is from: JVC GZ-HM300 Dual Slot High Definition Camcorder (Electronics)
This camcorder seemed like a great deal, with a 20x optical zoom, HD filming, Time-Lapse, and CLAIMS of super low-light performance.

Reality: Low-Light performance is TERRIBLE !!! Horribly grainy pictures in even moderate lighting. Inside at night, with normal lighting from 3 overhead lights plus a lamp on, the video is grainy and washed out. The video looks like the sample pic in their description that shows what it should NOT look like. This thing has a TEENY TINY little sensor. There is no way this could ever take good video in low or moderate light. I bought this to take video of my soon-to-be-born first child, which will be mostly indoors with normal lighting. To use it for this purpose, I would need to invest in several industrial-strength halogen lights and aim them all at the baby at the same time to illuminate him enough.

Outside, this takes good video, assuming there is plenty of light.

The time-lapse feature seems awesome at first, but it sucks down the battery very quickly, unless it is plugged in. The screen must be kept open while filming or else the camera will shut off. Why not have a time-driven system that only turns on the camera for a few seconds at a time, which would vastly improve the battery life???

This camera is HD, but it is 1080(i)... Interlaced, and not full true 1080p. The description is misleading when it states that it can PLAY BACK in 1080p... they don't come right out and say "oh but by the way, it only records in 1080i." Quite misleading.

This cam does not come with a HDMI cable (most in this price range don't, either). It does come with a RCA type connector and usb cable. This is an HD cam, WHY oh WHY would I EVER choose to use an RCA cable to watch it??? I can't even tell you if it takes decent hi-def video because I can't hook it up properly to my HD tv. Should really INCLUDE HDMI CABLE... they could include one for very cheap, since they would be buying them in bulk at probably 50 cents apiece.

I returned this the day after I bought it. I have ordered the Sanyo FH1a instead, which has a MUCH larger sensor, and is actually CHEAPER now than this JVC! Whatever you do, watch some youtube videos showing demo videos of the actuall camcorder you want to buy, BEFORE you purchase.

This gets 2 stars, one for good zoom and one for time-lapse. But this cam really is 100% worthless indoors. I tested it indoors first at Best-Buy, but they have those very bright ceiling lights, so I was unaware of how bad this cam really is.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2010 12:09:01 PM PST
hd = 720p.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 8:38:46 AM PST

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 9:31:37 PM PST
Jessica says:
I get pretty good true-to-color videos in my room and my daughter's. They both have just one standard light bulb in one fixture. As far as my living room goes, it has no over head light so the videos are quite dark.

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 10:04:21 AM PDT
A. Inacio says:
As you stated, "I returned this the day after I bought it.", that's definitely not enough time to test equipment. Your review seems to be blowing the negative aspects out of proportion and really downplaying the positive aspects. Maybe you didn't change the settings on the camera and was running it on standard definition.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 10:12:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2011 10:15:07 AM PDT
J. Thomas says:
I am quite adept at operating electronics. I used the correct settings, and I tried multiple other settings. It does deserve the low rating, because they advertise it as having great low-light performance. Low-light performance was a major selling point for me, but it turned out to be a complete LIE. If a company outright LIES to me, then their product deserves a low rating. They are lucky to get 2 whole stars from me.

And one day is plenty of time to thoroughly test a product... The low light non-performance will not get better with age, and I was not reviwing it based on long-term reliability. This camcorder is just no good, unless you are outside with full sunlight.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2011 11:30:15 AM PDT
LoveMyToys says:
I am not sure what your expectations are, but this is a camera that is selling for $200 and less than that from some vendors (I paid $125.00). For the money, you can't beat this camera. It's not going to perform like a flagship Canon or Sony, but you're paying a 20% of the cost of one of those bad boys. The camera does more than a decent job shooting indoors in a reasonably lit room and is excellent shooting outdoors. This is a camera that is selling for Flip/Sony Bloggie type money and I am sure even you would agree that it beats the crap out of those cameras.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2011 12:29:08 PM PDT
J. Thomas says:
When I wrote that review, the price was closer to 300 bucks. I returned it and got a Sanyo that has great low-light performance for less than this JVC was selling for.
The cost is irrelevant to the truth... they advertise it as: "New Everio's Super LoLux ensures superior sensitivity to low light." And they even show a supposed picture to demonstrate the quality. Both the statement and the picture are BS. The description is an out-right LIE. The low-light performance is non-existant. I don't care if this camera cost $20... if they advertise good low-light performance then it better be there. If they had not mentioned anything about low-light ability, then I would not have been so harsh on it... but to go out of their way to trumpet this non-existant ability is 100% INEXCUSABLE.... a LIE is a LIE, even if it is a budget device.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 9:20:10 AM PDT
D. Quinlan says:
I agree--officially that is considered High Definition.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011 11:02:40 PM PDT
John G says:
Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with how good of a review you gave, but this made me laugh:
"The video looks like the sample pic in their description that shows what it should NOT look like." HAHAHAHA
Im considering buying this as a secondary camera

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 5:29:38 AM PDT
J. Thomas says:
John G, I still urge you to avoid this camera. Even though it will be 2ndary, don't you still want the video to be watchable? I was going to insist you buy that Sanyo I mentioned, but I see it is no longer available... it is selling on other sites for 424 bucks USED... I wish I had bought more of them new for 300 bucks. If I were you, I would keep looking for something affordable with decent low-light performance... watch low-light or indoor video reviews on youtube before you commit to anything.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (29 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $102.38