5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and beautiful..., June 9, 2007
This review is from: Ruffian (DVD)
Ruffian is perhaps the greatest racehorse of all-time. I have all of her races and have watched them repeatedly. It never gets any easier to watch the Great Match Race and this dramatization doesn't soften the blow AT ALL. The last thirty minutes of this film are incredibly difficult to watch. Horseracing is as dark as it is beautiful and Ruffian was the darkest and most beautiful of all.

This DVD includes some excellent bonus features including nearly all of her races in their entirety (including the Match Race), an interview with Nack, a documentary featuring Jane Schwartz, Frank Whiteley, Jacinto Vasquez and others, a tribute comparing Ruffian and Barbaro etc. Worth every penny and more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2007 11:13:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2007 11:13:44 AM PDT
horse lady says:
This review was helpful b/c it mentioned the DVD having nearly all Ruffian's races....my friends and I were saying we'd buy the DVD if it had her actual races.
thanks for the help!

Posted on Jun 17, 2007 10:54:56 PM PDT
RJRo20 says:
Ah! I have not yet bought the DVD, so haven't had the chance to see them. Thanks for updating and mentioning the excellent bonus features in your review!

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 6:19:13 AM PDT
D. Fadden says:
Going a little too far, I think, "possibly the greatest racehorse of all time." Perhaps saying perhaps the greatest female racehorse would be a little more likely--even then how can we possibly know all the female racehorses that have lived all through time to make such a statement? But as for greatest of ALL...would she have defeated the likes of Man O'War, Seabiscuit or Secretariat? I don't think so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 10:05:46 AM PST
Everybody has their favorites. Ruffian quite possibly was the best... we'll never know.

I saw the movie. I was so taken off guard in that match race that I screamed and startled my whole family. I had to leave the room. But great movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 1:53:19 PM PDT
Jay Jay(: says:
Sorry, look up Secretariat. He has raced the fastest triple crown races in history, and Ruffian, or any other has NEVER come close to beating his record.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 2:06:09 PM PDT
What I meant was, if she hadn't had to quit early (by death). We'll never know if she would have been the best as time went on, if she had never had that injury. I know all about Secretariat. Great horse.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 2:41:23 PM PDT
Ladyyno says:
I agree,,,,I will take it one step further....I don't think ANY Seabiscuit , Man 'O' War, Seattle Slew or any other racehorse could beat Secretariat especially if he is running the way he did at Belmont!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 1:18:35 PM PDT
S. Hatch says:
Man O' War was voted the greatest racehorse of the 20th century and I wholeheartedly agree. Secretariat was fantastic as well.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 9:39:37 AM PST
Lucien Lauren saw Ruffian's win in the Spinaway. He was quoted afterwards as saying "As God is my witness, she may be better than Secretariat." Since Lauren trained Big Red, I'd definitely take his word. The thing about Ruffian is, we never saw her bottom. Who knows how fast she could have gone if she'd been pushed by the likes of Forego, Secretariat, or Man O War. The sad thing is, we'll never know. Foolish Pleasure was a very good horse, but he wasn't in her league. If Ruffian hadn't slammed her right shoulder into the starting gate when the gate opened, I have the feeling that match race would have ended quite differently. She was pulling away, on the lead when she broke down. She ran with FP 70 yards on 3 legs. Sometimes I get the feeling Ruffian gets no respect because she was female, or because her career and her life was cut short. I watched the movie even though I knew how it would end, and I flinched during the breakdown. I have all ten of her races but after all this time I still can't bring myself to watch the match race.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 10:26:15 AM PST
Ladyyno says:
I love Ruffian.....such a shame to lose , probably the greatest race horse that ever lived; male or female. I have the movie also and cannot watch that part where she broke down...I cried like a baby when I watched the movie and really tuned up when they put her down and you could see the people's reflection in her eye just before she closed it forever....Oh goodness...I can't go on anymore just talking about it. Thanks for a terrific post S. Winchester. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (99 customer reviews)

$14.95 $12.32