Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs some major upgrades., November 10, 2013
This review is from: Height-Adjustable Standing Desk - VARIDESK Pro 36 (Office Product)
The Varidesk Pro provides a feasible alternative solution for those who sit all day and whose backs end up hurting as a result. Well, that's the good, now with the bad.

When I first received the desk and started to adjust it to a standing position, a pin that is used to lock the handle mechanism in position came out. this was no way to make a first impression, and one of many design flaws with the Varidesk. Fortunately, I am one of these who is very mechanically inclined. In short, I fixed the problem myself. I would imagine if this had happened to someone else they would have promptly packaged the unit back up and sent it back. Instead, I ended up having to take off the plastic covers and fiddle with the pin so I could get back in, and then engage the hand levers to lower it back down. Since the pin came out again on a few occasions, I made a trip to the hardware store to purchase small screws and locking nuts. I have taken out the pins and replaced them with the screws and secured them with the nuts. This was a simple fix and one which the Varidesk designers should have thought of to begin with.

My other major complaint with the desk is that there is no shelf for your keyboard and mouse that raises and lowers with shelf that the monitor sits on. This to me is a colossal blunder in design. In a previous review I suggested Varidesk should add a keyboard tray that raised and lowered with the top of the unit. Well, the designers at Varidesk attempted to do this in a subsequent version of the product, but in the process they ended up just cutting a piece in the top, which raises and lowers. The end result is that you end up with less desk space in the standing position. Absolutely unbelievable!!! It seems that the designers at Varidesk just don't get it! It's great having a tray, but not at the expense of desk space! Out of frustration, I ordered a Fellowes keyboard tray and fixed below the top of the unit. Unfortunately, the keyboard tray would not fit within the braces that go up and down, so the unit would not go down all the way. At first I thought this might work, however I am now got tired of having to look up at my monitor when I was sitting down. I could have used the smaller keyboard tray, but a wireless keyboard fit in such a tray. And the wireless keyboard just makes sense because you don't want the keyboard and mouse wires dangling underneath where the could get caught up in metal braces which raise and lower the desk.

With all that being said, I think I am done with this thing. I don't mind making small improvements to make a product work the way I want it to, but at the price point they have this desk at, I'm finished tinkering trying to make it meet my needs. I did call Varidesk one time to ask them if they had a keyboard tray which one could mount under the top of the desk as I did. I received a rather curt response. Considering the poor design, which seems to have persisted with the products they have since designed, and poor customer service, maybe its time for me to get rid of this thing. It's too bad that what could have been a really fantastic product turns out to be one that is just average.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2015 7:31:18 PM PDT
cycle23 says:
I also purchased a Varidesk (48" pro plus). After having a pin stick, I flipped the desk over (after manually pressing the pin in with a thin phillips screw driver just enough to get it all the way into the minimal extension position), and took off the protective plastic around the mechanics behind the pin.

This required a small chubby screwdriver to get into the space. I advise not lower the desk, and in fact doing this from below in the upright position should be fine, just don't lose any screws...

Once the casing is off, very easy to use a large sturdy flathead to manipulate the mechanism by twisting right in the position where torque is needed to pop the pin in or out.

The clear issue was staring at me as soon as I removed the casing, however. The screws bolted into the pressed wood material had ripped out enough so that the brace intended against the desk surface was loose. Therefore, the mechanism simply would lift off the wood instead of forcing the pin out of the hole.

My quick solution for now: fatter screws. I will need to eventually do exactly as described above, drill all the way through and bolt it, I bet, with some sort of brace/bolt solution.

Otherwise.. GREAT DESK ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›