5.0 out of 5 stars 2012 Quartet, NOT Merchant Ivory!, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Quartet (DVD)
Here is a cast to die for, playing characters in a home for retired opera singers; they are preparing for their annual celebration of Verdi's birthday. But there is a "spanner (wrench) in the works" when a former diva arrives, in the person of Maggie Smith. Based on the play by Ronald Harwood and directed by first-timer Dustin Hoffman, this delicious PG-13 comedy bathes us in classical music, witty dialogue and a lovely setting. In fact the opening credits include some of the finest editing I've had the pleasure to enjoy in recent years. Kudos to Barney Pilling for the film editing; Ben Smith for the art direction; and Dustin Hoffman for respecting the music.

The world of opera is a relatively small one, so it is no surprise that a few of these divas and divos have a shared "history," and therein lies our tale.

Let's look at some of this wonderful cast:
* Maggie Smith ("Downton Abbey") is Jean, who always had at least 12 curtain calls but hasn't been in the spotlight for far too long!
* Michael Gambon ("Harry Potter") is Cedric, in charge of the star-studded gala, with a towering ego of his own.
* Billy Connolly ("Brave") is Wilf, proof positive that an old horn dog never quits sniffing around.
* Tom Courtenay ("Gambit") is Reggie, a kind, considerate fellow who is still nursing a broken heart.
* Pauline Collins ("You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger") is Cissy, the sweet busybody who can't think of one bad thing to say about anyone.

Just a couple of important tips: 1) If you have any hearing problems, either see this in a theater that features closed captions, or wait for the DVD with Amazon.com so you can turn on the subtitles. 2) Be sure to stay through the final credits because Mr Hoffman generously included the faces of many of the performers, along with a head shot of that same performer during his or her heyday. What a beautiful finale!

BTW: I just received my DVD from Amazon and it DOES have closed captions. Yippee!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2013 10:08:54 PM PST
gioia says:
I just came home after seeing this charming movie..enjoyed all aspects of it..direction, acting, scenery and of course the wonderful music well respected. Great film..Cant wait for it to come to me through Amazon. lovely!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:20:55 PM PST
Jay B. Lane says:
Thank you so much for taking the time to send this note. With the confusion between the "new" and the "old" Quartet, clearly you found the review that applied. Good for you! Thanks again.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 12:39:14 PM PST
Just saw the movie yesterday. How right you are about the clarity of the dialogue, therefore I am ordering the blu-ray on amazon. I hope the dvd producers include subtitles. They did not have them on the blu-ray version of "Death at a Funeral" (Oz version).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:12:47 PM PST
Jay B. Lane says:
No captions/subtitles on a Blu-Ray version of a contemporary movie!?! I'm shocked and dismayed. As a person with a hearing loss, I want to know there will be some products that consistently meet my needs as the years go by. I really appreciate knowing that! Thanks.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 2:44:48 PM PST
I am grateful about the closed captions tip. I think this is a very important information and should be included with every DVD or Blue Ray advertisement. I won't buy any video without it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 2:46:01 PM PST
I agree. Subtitles are a MUST

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 2:50:01 PM PST
Jay B. Lane says:
I have tried to do this but sometimes fall down on the job. Your welcome reminder will prompt me to be more diligent. It's important to me, so I have to assume I'm not alone. Thank you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 7:35:50 AM PDT
I agree, too. But we still don't know if this DVD has subtitles. It would be lovely if someone who has one would check on that. Or maybe Amazon might do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:44:10 AM PDT
Jay B. Lane says:
When I order DVDs from Amazon, the information is readily available. I ALWAYS check!

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 9:21:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2013 9:22:40 PM PDT
KittyKins says:
I thought this was a really horrible movie. I could hardly wait for it to end. There was way too much vulgarity and swearing...a real ick and sorry I wasted 2 hours. I thought there was poor writing and storyline. Instead of coming up with lines that are truly funny they took the easy way and used vulgarity.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,180 customer reviews)

$29.98 $9.96