5.0 out of 5 stars Many Questions Answered, Many More Arise, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Time of the Doctor (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
Expectations were high. Anticipation was great. We knew a new Doctor was coming. We had new revelations about Gallifrey and just which Doctor Matt Smith was actually playing. We also had a couple of years with stories of cracks in time and space, a plot to kill the Doctor, etc. The Time of the Doctor was always where this was headed - and I do think that Steven Moffat had a pretty good idea of the general outline of things to come.

This Christmas Special, The Time Of The Doctor, managed to wrap up everything in an hour. It didn't feel rushed. It didn't feel cheap. It didn't feel like the Eleventh Doctor was being cheated. In fact, it was a beautiful and wonderful exit for him. Without spoiling, he was able to do something he never really has in the past: stop running. He stayed for Christmas - and you'll understand that when you watch the special.

New questions emerge as the old ones are answered - and I shall not ask them here. Make sure you have tissues as the show closes out because this is a tough goodbye that we all knew was coming. Yet it was wonderful and the Doctor was honored as one who had accomplished much. Just as we opened Christmas gifts, so the Doctor received his big Christmas gift at the end. It is also a gift for all of us as we continue to enjoy the adventures of the Doctor.

I'm sure some will nitpick because that's how they are. Some will complain that all of the Doctor Who universe has just collapsed. Some will complain of time being rewritten (silly, since the Doctor makes a habit of that). Yet nothing really changes. After The Day Of The Doctor, the earlier incarnations of him had no idea that Gallifrey was saved - they forgot what had happened when the time streams merged. So things do change as they always have. For the Doctor and his companions, time is not a linear progression. As we learned in the Waters of Mars, even "fixed points" can be changed in some ways.

For those who are interested in the Doctor, this isn't a good place to start. It took several series to build up to this point, but all of the rebooted series is highly recommended. For Whovians, open your mind and enjoy. Throw out your preconceived notions and what you THINK should happen. Steven Moffat is a capable showrunner and one of the best TV screenwriters out there (look at his Doctor Who catalog and what he's done on Sherlock). This special is a cathartic farewell to Matt Smith's Doctor and a vindication of him. I wish we could have more of him because he has been magnificent, but he has been given a grand sendoff with so many answers for us and him. I look forward to the next Doctor and many more adventures.

For this special, very well paced. Well acted. Funny. Plenty of action and adventure. Plenty of tears too - but not bad ones. It was better than I could have hoped. With The Name Of The Doctor, The Day Of The Doctor, and The Time Of The Doctor, we have a great trilogy that tells us so much about him and sends off Matt Smith in a fitting and big way. Five stars for all three.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2014 8:27:29 PM PST
TrixieB says:
Well said! I was so happy to see him stay. And to see the tributes to him on the wall. It was VERY wrenching, but he deserved no less.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2014 6:58:00 PM PST
Not too slag on Tennant's Doctor, but I found Smith's exit more satisfying. I understand the "I don't want to go" feeling of the Tenth Doctor, and I felt it along with him. While he got to say goodbye to everyone as his reward, he didn't really embrace his regeneration. That's okay as that was very much HIM. Smith's was prepared to go, once and for all. He had lived his life. He had been loved. He had protected a small town and a whole planet (we have no idea how many others lived on Trenzalore). So when he was able to regenerate, he embraced it. He didn't destroy his TARDIS in the process (an act of vanity and protest by #10, I think - again, part of his personality). He used it for the good of those he was protecting and then he gave us a wonderful farewell speech. The Doctor was at peace with what had happened and had loved who and what he was given. I think #9 was similar, just not as glorious.

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 1:51:55 PM PST
THANK YOU. Thank you for posting a positive, well written, and thought through review. I've avoided much of the internet because of the negativity towards this episode (or anything recent, really). I loved this episode, I didn't want him to leave. I think one more season would have been perfect. However, this was such a wonderful send off for him. Makes me happy thinking about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2014 1:57:31 PM PST
Interesting... I had always assumed it was the radiation energy that destroyed the TARDIS when Ten regenerated. I didn't think of it as vanity. (Not saying you're wrong, just that it wasn't something I had thought of previously.) Although an almost out of control regeneration due to being overly emotional makes sense too...

Anyway! I agree with what you said, MY Doctor, 11 (all of them are magnificent, but Eleven is special.) Got what felt like the perfect send of. He got a wonderful ending. He didn't fear death or regeneration, he was ready to move on to the next step.

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 4:36:47 PM PST
Tuttle says:
That was a terrific review. Thanks.
And yes i do agree with you ~ Whovians, open your mind and enjoy :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2014 7:27:59 PM PST
Just a theory. I may have been a combination of the radiation absorption, sadness, etc. We certainly know #11 does think #10 was vain and wanted to hold on because of it due to this episode. I looked at his destruction of the TARDIS as being somewhat intentional. The Third Doctor exposed himself to massive amounts of radiation to save others and regenerated because of it and that regeneration was not violent at all. Of course, this had much to do with effects and budget limitations of the time, but is still part of the story. I'm sure Russell Davies was well aware of it too. I think that a Time Lord can channel the energy from his regeneration in a variety of ways if he chooses. We saw #11 do this and I think #10 did it as well, whether out of vanity, sadness, etc. It could be that he was so sad at his departure that he was unable to control the regeneration - a real possibility as well. I like the idea of it coming from his emotional state, as you suggest.

Couldn't agree more on the last bit. I've enjoyed all the Doctors (or what I've seen of all prior to #9 - I have not watched every story), but Matt Smith's really is special and is MY Doctor as well. I loved the dignity of his sendoff and the fact that he stayed and stopped running to protect a community of people who in turn loved and cherished him. Imagine the Doctor staying in one place for 300+ years when he had been running for at least 900 years (depending on how old he really is - he doesn't seem to truly know; hard to keep track when you're never on any kind of linear timeline). Yet he does. I love the line about him staying for Christmas. I also find Clara's plea to the Time Lords to be potent and poignant with their response being the same.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 3:10:14 PM PDT
What You Said.

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 6:25:59 AM PDT
Could anyone help me with a question? I was under the impression that the 50th anniversary special was the last episode until Season 8. Didn't The 11th Doctor regenerate at the end of The Day of the Doctor? I plan on buying the 50th Anniversary package with the main episode and 2 mini episodes, but is this a follow up episode to The Day of the Doctor? And are there any more? Thanks to anyone that can give me an answer!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2014 9:15:34 PM PDT
J. Phillips says:
No, the 50th Anniversary Special was just that, a special. At the end of The Day of the Doctor (50th Anniversary Special), the Doctor is shown regenerating into Christopher Eccleston's Doctor (the 9th Doctor (look closely at his eyes) since the "War" doctor did not take a number due to not feeling he deserved to be called so). If you follow the timeline that we now have, we go from Sylvester McCoy's Doctor (7th) to Paul McGann's Doctor (8th from the movie), and then to John Hurt's Doctor (War Doctor), then onto Christopher's Doctor (9th). The release dates of the episodes which we were introduced to these Doctors do not coincide with the numbers the Doctors we have been given...you can thank the big ball of wibbly-wobbly time for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2014 9:16:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 7, 2014 9:16:10 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (822 customer reviews)

$19.98 $12.54