2.0 out of 5 stars Works BUT fabric is scratchy and rough on skin, June 28, 2010
This review is from: OP/TECH USA Pro Strap - Black (Electronics)
I bought this strap to replace a Nikon strap for a D90, 50mm lens, and the heavy SB900 speedlite. OP's strap DRASTICALLY reduced fatigue and pressure, making the camera feel less than half its weight.

It does this by combining a wide, thick neoprene piece and stiff elastic sewed onto it. You get "goosh" from the neoprene, and just the right amount of "give" from the elastic.

HOWEVER, the neoprene/elastic section is at the top / in the middle of the strap, and is about 10 inches long (in the sample photo, the neoprene section is the larger/wider part) . The rest of the strap (the two sides that are skinny in the photo) is a rough nylon-type fabric, with plastic clips to quickly attach/detach the strap from the camera.

I am female, so I frequently use the camera when wearing a scoopneck blouse where part of my upper chest, back, or shoulders are exposed. The nylon fabric was soo rough and scratchy to my skin, that I could hardly bear the strap longer than 10 minutes before my skin felt raw everwhere it was rubbing. The neoprene and elastic section was so comfortable I wish they would have just made the entire strap out of that.

To salvage my purchase, I used a sewing seam ripper to disassemble the strap, and sewed the comfy neoprene strip onto my original Nikon strap. This was a perfect compromise. It was not quite as good as the original due to being unable to use the stretchy elastic section. However, the OP strap would have been otherwise unusable because of how horribly it rubbed my skin. Thankfully, the neoprene strip sewed onto my Nikon strap is awesome - I have worn it for two 2hr shoots, and it was very comfortable.

I wouldn't expect a guy to have any problem with the strap, because men's shirts cover the skin all the way up to the neck, so the roughness of the material would not be an issue. If you are a guy, you will love the strap! If you a girl, perhaps try something else, or remake the strap like I did, or plan to always wear shirts that cover you completely to the neck.

I gave it two stars because it would be completely unusable to me as it is (1 star), but since I was able to take it apart and use part of it very nicely, it gets one more star.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2011 12:03:02 PM PDT
Good idea doing the change up, but could you have sewn a bit of micro fiber as a sleeve around the scratchy part? I also am a female and hate scratchy stuff on my neck. Buying a new D60 cannon and I want a good strap to go with it.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 9:24:35 AM PDT
Wing Wong says:
Very interesting idea. I was wondering, if the same could be done if you bought some neoprene sheeting and added to a standard strap?

I own both a standard strap(Sony made), which will KILL my neck and shoulder after a while. I got a free neoprene strap from SmugMug, which rocks, but because it is 100% neoprene for the part around my neck/shoulders, it tends to stretch too much.

I really like your idea of sewing the neoprene onto a standard strap.

When I originally read your post, I was wondering if you couldn't just have sewn a neoprene sleeve for the nylon webbing part, so you got the benefit of the large shoulder pad on the Pro strap with the added protection/padding of neoprene over the nylon?

I'm a guy, but the nylon webbing rubs me raw as well. :)

You post offers much appreciated ideas, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2014 2:00:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2014 2:03:46 PM PST
joyello18 says:
Idaho Girl and Wing Wong, That's a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I think it would have worked.

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 6:12:15 PM PDT
Very few camera straps are designed to be worn over bare skin. While your modification may meet your specific needs, I am of the opinion your review is is unfairly critical.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (245 customer reviews)

$21.95 $19.95