5.0 out of 5 stars Just as I imagined ... perfect!, February 8, 2008
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
My uncle had been wearing the Seiko SKX007 (although his may be a different model number) since the early 80s. I was a little kid back then and I may not have consciously noticed his watch, But his watch must have left some impact, because I've always been partial to divers watches, and currently own several. These include two quartz Bulovas, one quartz Swatch, and most recently an automatic Omega Seamaster Professional (the James Bond model). The Bulovas were OK, the Swatch is a piece of garbage, and the Omega is just a delight to own.

And yet, none of these ever seemed to match my mind's idealized image of what a divers watch should be.

A short time after buying the Omega, I came across the Seiko on some watch aficionado website. I recognized it as the watch my uncle has worn all these years and was surprised to realize that this very watch was the image against which I judged all other diver watches. I wanted it badly. But having just spent a bundle on a watch I couldn't justify the purchase.

Until the end of December. Out of nowhere, my not-a-year-old Omega started gaining close to an hour a day!! A bizarre circumstance followed by an immediate delivery to the local Omega authorized dealer. It would take nearly a month until my watch was repaired and returned.

What's a guy to do? I knew .... I went to Amazon and bought the Seiko I always wanted. An automatic and the less expensive model; the pricier model has square number markers, not circles.

Always the pessimist, I prepared myself for disappointment. I hadn't seen my uncle's watch for some time and just expected a let down of some sort. I was concerned the face would just look radically different from what I hoped for, and I'd be stuck with a watch I didn't want to wear. And despite my fears, I kept heading to the window all morning on the day the watch was scheduled to arrive.

Finally, the UPS truck pulled up in front of my house and sure enough, he was holding my new "replacement" watch. I opened the box and out came the watch I always wanted --- looking and feeling exactly as I had wished.

Now I regularly alternate between my $2000 Omega and my $200 Seiko. It keeps perfect time! It is aesthetically fantastic! And it just feels great on my wrist! It is big, and the rubber band is not elegant. But 'not elegant' in the sense that it looks out of place when I wear it with a suit. But in any other situation, it looks just right.

Here are some observations: The face is beautiful. The band is thick and rugged, the antithesis of cheap or flimsy. The luminescence stays luminescent for hours into the dark. The automatic second hand sweep is graceful and solid. The case is unbrushed steel, substantial in weight, and heavy-duty like industrial strength machinery. The top of the lugs are brushed steel and the contrast only enhances the watch's natural good looks. The screw-down crown is BIG and has deep grooves, which makes it easy to screw and unscrew, not to mention set.

The bezel is my favorite feature because the grooves on the side are designed for serious use. If you want to turn that unidirectional bezel, be assured -- it will not slip. The watch is so solid that you can only conclude that conventional opinion, at least someone still makes it like they used to.

For balance, I'll mention the one and only aspect of the watch that I would prefer were different. You cannot stop the second hand. Even as you're setting the time, the second hand continues to move, making it impossible to perfectly synchronize the watch with an atomic clock. Then again, hopefully not everyone is like me, and has to have a perfectly synchronized watch.

To conclude, obviously I highly, highly recommend the Seiko SKX007. Keep in mind: if hard-core diver watches are NOT your thing, you may quickly realize that this watch is way too much watch to handle. But if you're a diver watch lover like me -- even if, like me, you've never worn a wet suit in your life -- this watch is as much the real deal as you'll ever get.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2010 9:10:36 PM PDT
S. Reed says:
You CAN stop the second hand. Just move the minute hand backwards (just a hair) and it will stop. I thought anyone that writes such an amazing review deserved the tip.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 1:20:43 PM PST
Eric Seamans says:
It's great to hear you love the watch so much! Mine just came in the mail this morning and I like it very much too. So far it isn't losing or gaining any dramatic time, but I'll have to wait twenty four hours and then compare it to my quartz watch.
For me, the fact that the watch is non-hacking, meaning that the second doesn't stop, means that there's just one less thing that can go wrong. And yup, you can also apply the backwards (counter clockwise) pressure on the crown which should slowly bring the second hand to a stop.
Great review!

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 1:24:55 AM PDT
Rosethorn says:
It is possible that your old Omega was gaining so much time due to the watch getting magnetized. Keep watches, especially mechanical ones, away from strong magnetic sources!

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 8:40:03 AM PDT
Seiko has Watches for everyone's budget. Check out the Grand Seiko dive watch. It is as good or better than a Omega or Rolex. Also you can get a "Super Oyster" band for your Seiko, very inexpencive. That would make it better to wear with a suit.

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 3:34:17 PM PDT
bigdawg says:
what is the model name or number of the version with square time markers? i have been lookin all over the place for it to no avail. Much appreciated

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 7:50:47 PM PDT
GearGuy says:
My two Omega`s were also a big disappointement; a seamaster and the manual speedmaster. Both started behaving very erratically after a year or so. My Seikos have remained utterly reliable. And what`s more they are easily adjusted by a small screw in the movement.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2014 4:53:03 PM PST
SKX173M

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2015 9:20:26 AM PST
SKX173 - can be bought on Amazon or from bricks and mortar stores in the US. However, the SKX173 usually runs in the $250 range (give or take) even on Amazon. I bought mine for $275 from a local jeweler.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›