Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars happy with my Fuji F600EXR, October 28, 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix F600EXR 16 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 15x Optical Zoom (Black) (Electronics)
Great travel zoom camera with excellent image quality for a point and shoot; Response time is very fast, especially focus, and image quality is impressive. Keep in mind that this is a point and shoot camera, not a dSLR. (I do shoot with a Nikon dSLR and love it but want a pocket camera for travel.) I got this to replace my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 which I am giving to a family member as a gift. I was very happy with that model but had read about image quality not being as good in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10, (Panasonic's next model), so I started looking around at other brands. The size and feel of the F600EXR is very nice. I just really love holding it and using it. If you have pets, one thing you may love is the pet face detection modes - there is one for cats and one for dogs. Some people call this the "cat mode" or "dog mode." What it does is a face detection for your pets, just like regular face detection focus zeroes in on people. This mode is awesome! It is spot on. It has tons of other modes, too - fireworks, landscape, portrait, enhanced portrait, pro focus, and more, as well. So, great for all uses and for vacation and travel. I especially wanted a nice zoom for the best all around travel pocket camera. Of course, the big thing about the Fuji F600EXR (and previous models) is the EXR technology, which uses the pixels in the camera in different ways to get the best image depending on your shooting situation. I'm very impressed with it. I haven't had the camera long (a few weeks) so I will update more as I use it but so far I am very happy with my purchase, especially the image quality for a pocket camera and the ability to set it on auto and get great pictures. (Good for when you don't have time to adjust settings or for giving it to a family member to use and enjoy, or just enjoying your vacation more than concentrating on the camera equipment.) I do recommend trying all of the modes and settings, though, to see what gives you the best results in different instances. I haven't tried the video yet but I will play around with that more soon.

To sum up:
response time - very fast
image quality - great
face detection for pets - fabulous! :)
macro - beautiful details
size and weight - feels solid but not too heavy and still small and portable
colors - accurate
EXR - great job in high contrast situations
Focus is fast and accurate
zoom - very nice results at full zoom but do remember to keep camera as still as you can or rest on something (due to gravity, the further out you zoom, the more likely you could see movement from the end of the lens if you aren't keeping the camera and lens very still.)

I've posted some photos on full auto EXR mode from my first day wtih it. Will add more from the various shooting modes as I go. Feel free to ask a question and I'll do my best to answer.

UPDATE - 1/9/2012
Now that I've had time to use it more I thought I'd post a short update.

1. I'm still happy with the camera, however, if you are a big low-light or night time shooter, I would recommend another camera over this one (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD - Black). That being said, I do get consistently good results from this camera in all but night scenes. I even get great results indoors with and without flash (see the photo of my white cat in the example images), just not always great with night scenes or something with super low light (Christmas lights, etc.) I do sometimes but not as much as in the other shooting conditions.

I set the image size to M to give the EXR technology a chance to work at its best. (As I understand it, the pixels combine/merge/join so you get 8 megapixesl with larger pixels and better quality - more or less). I've also had good results using the pro mode for night shots, just not as consistently good as with some other cameras.

2. I am not a big movie mode users, but if it's in the camera, it's nice to have it work well. That being said, I can sometimes get good results with this one on movie mode but not always. I set the focus mode to be center focus and not continuous to keep it from hunting as much, but other cameras excel with the movie mode in my opinion. (no focus hunting).

Overall, I still am pleased with this for a travel zoom camera if you are mostly out doing the tourist sight seeing activities - especially during the day (zoo, gardens, landmarks, etc.) I am updating my review from 5 stars to 4 because of the two items above that are not best in class in my opinion, but overall, I am still pleased with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2011 8:43:59 AM PDT
How is the GPS in this one? That was a major knock of the previous model 550.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 9:12:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2011 9:14:49 AM PDT
D-Squared says:
I used it briefly last weekend and it seems to work great. I didn't notice it not locking on any photos. I will test it more and update if I find any issues. I wasn't travelling anywhere exotic, though. :) And, when I tested, I had it set to on all the time. You can set it to go on when you turn the camera on, but then you should expect it to take a few moments to come to life.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 12:37:41 PM PDT
Sorry, one last question. How bout the video?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 7:20:35 PM PDT
D-Squared says:
I haven't used the video yet but hope to be able to try it out this week

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 9:13:57 PM PDT
K. Coleman says:
How is battery life? Have you tried low light outdoors yet? I don't want to take my SLR overseas and I will be outside at night and would like something decent. Thanks! Also, can you recommend a good memory card? I have some that seem to all have different performances.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 7:32:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2011 8:32:39 PM PDT
D-Squared says:
Regarding the battery - I would say definitely get one or two extras if you are going overseas - they are inexpensive ($13.95). It uses the Fujifilm NP-50. If you are going to use the GPS a lot or plan to be away from your home/hotel room for an extended amount of time, you will likely need it but it depends on how you will be using the camera. A lot of GPS and video and viewing the photos you've taken will run it down. I'd have an extra one with you just to make sure. With no GPS and just average shooting with and without flash and average viewing photos, it should last you the full day.

Memory card - I'm not an expert on memory cards but I've had good luck with San Disk. I recommend getting two 4GB or two 8GB class 10 cards instead of one 8GB or 16GB because if something happens to your card, you have an extra one. Oh, and if you do get an error on one of your cards, don't panic and whatever you do, do NOT format the card or take any more pictures on it. Just set it aside and when you get home you can download recovery software and are likely to get all or most of your images back. That's something I learned recently (with another brand card). It's not likely to happen but just in case, that might be helpful to know.

Low light - I haven't really played with the camera a lot but I did take a few low light shots indoors. I think it does well but some of this is going to depend on a couple of things: 1) your expectations 2) settings you use 3) what you want to do with your photos after you take them. So, for example, if you are used to shooting with a dSLR and you want to get the same quality as a $10,000 full frame top of the line dSLR, then you will be disappointed. :) Assuming that is not the case, in my very brief time with this, I have been happy with the results. 2) You have a lot of choices for settings - you can use one of several low light scene modes on the camera, or you can set it on shutter priority, aperture priority or manual mode and you can set the ISO or set a limit for the ISO on these. So, depending on what you think is an acceptable amount of noise, you can adjust those settings. If you want pristine, fantastic, competition gallery quality in low light in a small portable camera, you might want to look at the Fuji X100 BUT there is no zoom on that and it is quite a bit more expensive. That's why I say, it depends on how you want to use the camera or what you will be mostly taking pictures of. 3) Same points regarding how you want to use your photos. If you want to print them out at regular sizes and put in an album (4x6, 5x7, 8x10), this will be great. If you want to print 16x20 prints or larger, then you will definitely need to learn the camera and settings to get the most out of it. I think you could print something that large and be happy with it but you will want to know the camera really well to be confident that you are using the settings that will make you the happiest with prints that size. I haven't tried printing any images at any size yet so take that with a grain of salt if you want. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 6:17:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2011 10:08:29 AM PDT
Alex V says:
I think the worst thing with F550 is an awful auto program. It takes most of the photos at ISO400 or more, at which point the details are dominated by the camera artifacts.

I don't know if it is very good at lower ISO either, sometimes the details (like skin textures or hair details) turn out good and some times they don't. This is probably because the sensor is pushed too hard to deliver the 16Mpix resolution.

PS: I am comparing to my old Olympus Mju 800. By all means an excellent camera, but it is from 2005 so I expected F550 to be as good or better. It is about as big as F550, 8Mpix, 3x zoom. Reviewing my old albums, I can see that it was able to deliver consistently good details indoors, while F550 is not. Olympus has been known to turn out trashy compacts lately (except XZ-1, but it is very large) so I don't know what to recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 8:43:49 PM PDT
K. Coleman says:
Thank you so much! The low light I am going to find myself in is outdoors at night with outdoor lights and potentially snow. :-)

My print needs are likely to be no larger than 11 x 17.

Basically I am looking for a good point and shoot so I don't have to lug around my D5000 that I am still learning how to use. :-) I have captured some good wildlife photos with it but do NOT want to carry it around everywhere.

Again I appreciate your candid, detailed, and prompt feedback :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 9:47:13 PM PDT
D-Squared says:
Oh, you can also shoot in RAW if you prefer processing your images that way. Also, in addition to the scene settings, you have the S/N (signal to noise) EXR setting, which is the one optimized for low light. It really has so many features and options that I haven't even scratched the surface yet. Be sure to check out the Fuji site for more info on the features here: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f600exr/. I think this is a great pocket zoom camera, just keep in mind, you are not going to get D5000 quality from a pocket camera. :) I hope you enjoy your trip and whichever camera you choose.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2011 6:54:31 PM PDT
D-Squared says:
K. Coleman - PS - I just uploaded a sample pic here that shows what a great job this camera can do in high contrast settings with the color white - my white cat in strong sunlight and shadows. Really amazing! :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›