Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Was it really all that bad?, November 5, 2009
This review is from: Year One (Theatrical & Unrated Edition) (DVD)
I seem to find myself in the minority here, but I actually liked "Year One". Having seen it in the theater, I thought it was a fairly fun and light-hearted experience all around. The humor is perhaps not as broad as some prefer-but myself, I sort of enjoyed the subtleties. These type of films usually benefit from a second or even third viewing if you give them a chance.

In "Year One", Jack Black plays his part adequately but seems to yield the majority of the spotlight to his on-screen cohort Michael Cera. Michael Cera is the real star of "Year One" and Black seems to know it-taking a step back for the younger comedic actor to really shine. Cera's comedic delivery is dry and spot-on for his character "Oh" and he plays the part with real charismatic charm. In short, it is Cera's film, not Black's-and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

When it comes down to it, Year One is just a harmless little diversionary film which doesn't take itself too seriously and nor should you. I personally thought it had a lot of wit and charm. Perhaps it just didn't strike the majority of audiences in the same way. That's too bad too because personally, I found this film far more entertaining than some of the summer's bloated special effects films.

Surprisingly, this film looks amazing on Blu-Ray too-especially the city scenes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2009 12:28:00 PM PST
Grrgoyl says:
I've watched all of Apatow's movies waiting for them to live up to the hype. Why everyone thought "Superbad" was sooooo fantastic puzzled me. By "Knocked Up" I was getting irritated. "Anchorman" was entirely too juvenile and sexist (I know that was the point, but I think they really beat a dead horse). "40-Year-Old Virgin" started strong but then seemed to flounder. "Year One" is the first that had me laughing start to finish. Maybe because I adore Michael Cera so much.

Long story short, you're not (totally) alone!

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 9:47:41 AM PST
The Dude says:
No, you're not alone. We found the movie quite enjoyable. Black and Cera make a good team.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 9:07:29 PM PDT
N. Webster says:
I like the movie too. My favorite line in the whole movie, for some reason, is right at the beginning when Michael Cera is picking strawberries and says to a berry: "There you are. You don't want to be gathered, you want to be eaten." Cracks me up every time. That line with any other actor wouldn't have worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010 4:56:00 AM PDT
Pikminfan says:
Glad I'm not the only one who appreciates understated genius! :)

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 1:05:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2011 1:06:38 AM PDT
C. Charlton says:
It wasn't bad at all. I loved it, my favorite Apatow movie next to 40 Year Old Virgin and Superbad. Maybe Apatow just appeals to me, but his comedies have been the best of the last decade as far as I'm concerned.
I've watched Year One so many times on bootleg netflix and Starz/Encore, today after I still find myself laughing at it I decided the movie is well worth my hard earned money.

When you consider 2001: A Space Odyssey got bad reviews initially, you can't take critic reviews too seriously.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 7:51:28 PM PDT
Pottlukk says:
I just watched Year One on Comedy Central tonight. Based on the critics' reviews I thought it was going to be horrible. It wasn't. I thought it had lots of laughs and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like Michael Cera. It reminded me of a modern version of Mel Brooks' History of the World: Part I.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›