1,032 of 1,075 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Product Info regarding gear housing upgrade from KitchenAid, October 7, 2006
This review is from: KitchenAid KP26M1XPM 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series - Pearl Metallic (Kitchen)
Due to the very high number of complaints about the problems people were having with heavy duty tasks (which is what the mixer should have been made for!) due to cheap plastic housing holding the heavy duty metal gears, I contact KitchenAid to find out if this design flaw has been fixed. It has been and here is their response (note that they are saying that if you receive one of the models with the plastic housing they will replace it under warranty with the new metal housing. It is also important to note that the people who've had the problem have almost all stated that KitchenAid had great customer service and replaced their mixers with no ones with no problems.

RESPONSE FROM KITCHENAID: Thank you for visiting the KitchenAid website!

I would like to reassure you that our engineering and product teams have addressed the gear box issue. In fact, we have already implemented a change in the manufacturing of the Pro 600 Stand Mixers to a metal gear box. Although these will be changed out on additional 5 qt bowl-lift models that include all metal gearing, the time line on that is not known at this time. Although a transparent change, this will insure the long-term durability we expect.

I would like to emphasize to you that should you purchase a Stand Mixer (with all metal gearing) which has not been assembled with the upgraded metal gear box, and you should have a problem with your mixer (as a result of the plastic gear box (failure), we will most certainly extend your warranty to resolve the issue properly and effectively.

If you have additional questions, feel free to reply back to me. Or, you may contact either our KitchenAid Customer Satisfaction Center at 1-800-541-6390, or you may visit our secure KitchenAid Live Chat.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2007 10:48:32 AM PDT
I am SO HAPPY to hear this! The KA mixers are AWESOME and I am glad to see them tackle this issue and get it resolved. Could you please post this positive comment at the KitchenAid Forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2007 9:08:44 AM PDT
E. Pardini says:
Hmmm....I called Kitchen Aid's small appliance customer service and they told me that the gear box was not changed in the 600-plus series or the 5-plus series and that this information was false, was not issued on the Kitchen-Aid website, but rather listed on "someone else's" website - I'm assuming this Amazon page here.

I'm a little disappointed in KitchenAid/this situation right now -- What's the real deal with this situation? I want to be able to knead dough and need to know if I should go with another brand.

Posted on Jun 4, 2007 5:22:51 PM PDT
jerry_of_md says:
I would love to know if Whirlpool has switched to a metal transmission housing in any of their KitchenAid mixers. KitchenAid customer support told me that all Professional 600 models have metal housings but they also told me that my Professional 6 does too, and it certainly does not. They quickly defer to their repair centers when pressed for mechanical details but my local repair shop seems frustrated with KitchenAid for their lack of info on the constantly changing parts. Original parts for my Pro 6 are no longer available but they recommend fitting other parts, which don't work with remaining parts so one has to replace $200 (and counting) in parts alone. Why not just buy a new one? Because I'd be in the same boat again relying on Whirlpool/KitchenAid. Has anyone actually seen a metal transmission housing in their mixer?

Posted on Oct 29, 2008 9:53:12 AM PDT
A little clarity: the only time you have to worry about getting a 600 with a plastic cover is when you buy a refurb mixer (which is an incredible deal) directly from KA. It's unlikely that you'd get one, because the gear housing covers have been metal for well over 2 years now. But it still could happen. And they don't want you to know if you have one, because most people do fine with the plastic one.

Not liking to think of myself as 'most people,' I popped the lid off of my mixer and confirmed that it had the metal cover (a beautiful, injection molded magnesium part, with heat sink fins). Technically this voids the warranty, but in reality it does no harm, and no one can ever know you did it.

At any rate, my 600 mixer makes bread, pizza dough, double batches of heavy cookies, ice cream, and grinds meat. It never sputters and barely even gets warm.

After a ton of research I think this is the best mixer you can get, in the home mixer price range. It's not perfect. Even with the metal gear cover there are some quality control issues, and a lot of serious users need to get their mixers replaced under warranty in order to get a perfect one. True commercial mixers ARE better. And they cost two to five times as much in a comparable size. Competitors like Viking and Cuisinart are not better. They have quality control issues of their own, and their customer service is not as good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008 3:08:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2008 3:14:54 PM PST
Living it up says:
Hmmm, E. Pardini,
I am the original poster of this review and the response I personally received from KitchenAid. It is most assuredly a DIRECT response from KitchenAid and NOT from "someone else's website," which is exactly why I posted it. Perhaps if you make a written inquiry you will receive comparable info from KitchenAid. If not, perhaps you would do everyone the favor of copying whatever written response KA does provide you.
You might note the wording used by KitchenAid in the response to my inquiry saying "thanks for contacting the KitchenAid website" (that's a good clue of who I contacted) and the "me and our" as the rep talked about KitchenAid's response to my question to their own customer service dept (again, not some third party website, provider, or store). You'll also note that instead of calling a customer service rep and having an undocumented conversation, I made the decision to handle my inquiry in writing and get a written response as evidence of any conversation/guarantee made by KitchenAid.
As a follow up, my mixer is still going strong since my purchase back in 2006 and handles whole wheat bread dough like a charm.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 7:28:48 AM PST
T. Nguyen says:
I just ordered this mixer for my girlfriend, I'm not sure when you inquired about the gearbox but is this something I have to worry about when buying one new now?

Posted on Dec 10, 2008 11:19:36 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Apr 25, 2010 9:54:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 29, 2008 1:28:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2008 1:54:16 PM PST
JoeBlo says:
KitchenAid advertises metal gears and metal housing on the box. It is unclear what they mean by housing.
I removed the cover of the device which I received for Christmas 2008 and observed that it has a plastic cover over the gears.
The plastic is used to contain the top half of the bearing from the motor and gears, which could cause a problem, particularly over time with heavy use.

It is new and not refurbished, bought 2 weeks ago.

The gears do not have a titanium cover, they have a smooth plastic one.
See this picture for an example:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IbNWLRw0ZKKnA

The new metal one looks like:

The serial number starts WT... so look for something later than that.
There are plenty of old parts out there still being sold!

This discussion at the KA forum has an excellent description of the problem and a solution:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2009 10:46:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2009 9:10:08 AM PDT
Sharkman says:
Joblo, how did you determine that it's plastic? I couldn't view your pic for some reason. At any rate, I purchased a Kitchenaid 600 series last June (2008) and just took the top off the mixer to see for myself. It's not plastic, nor painted plastic. (And of course it's not titanium, why would you think that) It's a metal housing over the transmission.

I remember this issue when I made my purchase. At the time there was several posts here on this issue. Someone had determined with Kitchenaid that they had switched over to all metal housing over the transmission, and that everything past a certain serial number had the metal housing.

I find it unlikely that Kitchenaid would switch back and forth between plastic and metal and think there is much confusion out there.

Edited to ad: I went back and was able to view your photos. Of the two photos, my housing is the metal alloy. I ordered this mixer from Amazon in June 08. You didn't say where yours was purchased from, since it was a christmas gift. I suspect it could have been old stock sitting on a shelf.

Posted on Jul 4, 2009 10:37:12 AM PDT
KitchenAid staff/customer service flat out lied to me! Don't trust them-I will never buy from KitchenAid, again! I spoke to 4 reps-the 1st one told me my 6qt pro mixer had a metal housing for motor-the other 3 people, I spoke with-said,"No way to know which mixer has what". They don't know whats inside their mixers or anything about them. Alarming! And, NO, they will not switch out the plastic housing for motor with the metal one- so the machine/motor won't melt down. They directed me to local service centers and they have no way of knowing unless they open up the machine at your cost, and, switch to metal at your cost! They do not stand behind their products and have no info about them! What is going on with KitchenAid? Beware! and, just hope yours doesn't melt down making bread.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›