3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about this, September 22, 2012
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPhone 5 (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Not for iPhone 5C) Retail Packaging - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
If you're looking for something to protect your phone while it bounces around the bottom of your Jeep, this is the case for you. It looks so tough, in fact, I bet you could run over it with a car--though I won't be testing that theory with mine. Lol

BUT-- it is HUGE. And it is HEAVY. With this case on, the iPhone 5 is bigger than the 4. And the case sits so high off the screen (like the screen is in a level ditch) and so close to the edge of the screen, it makes it really uncomfortable to do basic tasks. Like write an Amazon review. Or text, email, play games...
It's exceedingly annoying.
I would have kept this case despite the size and weight if not for the screen real estate intrusion.
For me, it's a major deal breaker.
Getting something else.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2012 3:20:21 PM PDT
Paul C Huang says:
A big case is exactly what I am looking for. I have used the Defender since the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 was already too small for a big hand, so after using the iPhone for just five minutes, my left hand was cramping, so I had to put it down and order the new Defender case. Although I would have enjoyed the lighter weight, I must say that the added bulk does not bother me at all and I don't care about how a phone looks. I just like how iOS devices operate.

Thanks for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 2:57:24 PM PDT
SK says:
It's not the bulk that's the major problem for me. I was willing to accept that as a trade off for the serious environmental defense (I drop my phone a lot). Lol

My problem was the near-intrusion of the case on the screen. It's extremely annoying to text or email with that slanted ledge of the case RIGHT NEXT TO the screen.
Now maybe that doesn't bother you, but for me--that's what made me start looking elsewhere.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 5:14:23 PM PDT
Agree 100%. Nice case but too big. Sending it back to find one that isn't as bulky.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 12:23:43 PM PDT
tj6643 says:
The fact that the screen is in a level ditch is a good thing because when you drop your phone the screen itself wont hit the floor. The frame of the case receives the impact.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 12:32:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 12:45:32 PM PDT
SK says:
Agreed. It's great that it's raised above the screen to protect it when it falls.
But the edge is too close to the edge of the viewing/texting area if you kwim? If it even had a couple of millimeters of space in between the case edge and the edge of the viewing area, it would be easier to use. And I have small fingers. I would think someone with larger fingers would find it even more annoying than I do.

Please note: I have also tried this with the keyboard in landscape/horizontal position and the case intrusion onto the screen is not QUITE as bad as when it is vertical (the slant angle on the longer sides is less severe than the shorter sides). Picture the shorter sides of the case angled like a ski slope and the longer sides angled like a cliff. The cliff is somehow less intrusive.
So maybe that's the answer for many people. But I tend to type in vertical/portrait mode so it really bugs me.

The case itself is very nice and sturdy. A real rhino of protection. It's just uncomfortable for me to text because of the case's front position relative to the screen.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 3:44:02 PM PDT
It's defender case; it's supposed to be large. It offers max protection.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 3:51:54 PM PDT
Lady Kayura says:
Maybe the commuter would be better for you. It's not as bulky as the defender, but it's supposed to still have excellent protection.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 1:00:13 PM PDT
I think the commuter is bascially the same as the defender, just doesn't have the belt clip holster.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 10:47:59 PM PDT
Marisa B says:
it also doesn't have the plastic screen protector as part of the case, it comes with a self adhesive one you have to put on. Personally I'd rather text a little slower than drop my phone and risk destroying the screen. Although from what I have seen this iphone screen is easier and less costly to replace if it is broken. The commuter also does not have the holster, there is still a bit of a lip at the edge but without the plastic screen protector combined with it, it shouldn't seem as bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 5:37:38 AM PDT
SK says:
Actually, the plastic screen is pretty annoying. Somehow, no matter how well I clean it, there is always dust under it. And when you look at it from any angle, it creates a kind of rainbow effect on the clear plastic. It's weird.

Also the rubber on the edges of the case has started to peel off in some places.
The more I use this case, the less I am liking it. Although I have dropped the phone many times and just shrugged, knowing it's going to be fine.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›