Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, September 13, 2009
This review is from: MarginMart, Inc. DAZ-HDMI-SW005-01 5-Port Smart HDMI Switch (Electronics)
This is a great switch at a great price. Most 5-port switches cost twice as much or do not fully support v.1.3 - a standard which Blu-Ray and some games consoles require to work properly. I have seen some where Blu Ray or PS3 will only work on one port. I have successfully tested my own PS3 on all ports.

Some do not auto-switch, and this alone is worth the asking price. I have mine set up without having to use the included remote. I simply have my Harmony universal remote switch each device off before switching on the one I want to use. The switch automatically finds the active port and moves to it. If you have a DVR or other device that is required to be "always-on", simply put it on port 5 - this way, if another port becomes active, it will prioritize a lower numbered one.

I should mention that the product page still claims to ship a mains adapter with this unit, which is supposed to enable the auto-switching functions. The mains adapter is not included anymore, but since auto-switching now works without it anyway, it is not required.

Something else to mention. The unit is about the size of a pack of playing cards. This is good since it is meant to be hidden away. Included is a remote receiver connected with a short cable which you can position in a place to receive commands from the included remote, keeping the main unit out of sight. Since you can use the switch without the remote, you can get by quite easily without hooking this up also.

Switching between two sources on this switch takes about a second, whether using auto-switch or the remote. While I'm sure there are some that are faster, I do not think this worth paying extra for. You may disagree.

There is a manual toggle switch on the top of the main unit. Since I use auto-switching and do not have remote connected, I have had to use this only once, and only when I unplugged my PS3 and then reconnected. For some reason the priority did not work. However, I have had this for 2 months without this happening a second time so did not see a reason to dock a star.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2009 4:02:09 PM PDT
H. Cantu says:
I am reading the review and I am a little confused on the auto switching feature. What I need to know is if I am on the DVR source watching TV and want to view the PS3 to browse the internet during a commerical do I use the remote? I do not want to shut off the PS3 I want to toggle back and forth between the two sources. My media equipment is also in a closet so I won't have the switch near me.

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 4:15:06 PM PST
Stephen says:
A question slightly off the subject: Our new Panasonic plasma TV does not have any traditional audio jacks (such that I would be able to listen to the TV without bothering my wife). It does have several HDMI jacks, though. Are there earphones that work out of HDMI jacks? Or any other way to use headphones (wired or wireless) from this TV?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:42:49 AM PST
A. Edja says:
Thanks I'll get this now.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 3:16:51 AM PST
I would like to hook two computers to one monitor. I have an XP and a Windows 7 computer. Will this work? Also, can I set one CPU on top of the other? What cables will I need to hook this up?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›