4.0 out of 5 stars A crossroads for the keys, December 10, 2011
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
Their are quickly turning into two types of keys fans,Pre and post danger mouse fans, are you a thickfreakness/rubberfactory or attack and release/brothers fan. This new album El camino cements danger mouses influence with high production and backup singers etc. This is not in any way a bad record,it has great energy,power and the keys have never sounded tighter as far as playing and vocals.

You just have to ask yourself, how light do you want your black keys ?

If you came in with the danger mouse records you'll have no problems,if your a fan of the original sound of the black keys i suggest you do some pre listening before you buy this album. Once again I state this is in no way a bad album,its fantastic,but how you like your keys is gonna determine how much you dig this record.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2011 9:10:00 AM PST
MrSavoie2U says:
It's this way with all groups. You have the "fans" that love a group when they first come out, but end up not liking the group when their sound evolves. Then you have the "fans" that are introduced to the group once their sound has evolved. What's funny is that the latter group of fans are more likely to enjoy both styles of music once they dive deeper into the group's discography. I could name a ton of groups that I've seen this same response to, Mastodon immediately comes to mind. In any case, I don't think many people can call themselves TRUE fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 8:42:49 PM PST
JSM says:
MrSavoie2U is dead on. I've been a fan since the beginning. I thought Brothers was an incredible album even though I noticed the movement toward more production. They are changing, but that doesn't take away the sound you first loved with ThickFreakness. I think it adds to it and can be enjoyed. Same thing with, say, Kings of Leon. BTW, I wish I could still see both of these bands together for $5 like I could 10 years ago! Those days are long gone once the worlds loves your favorites...

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 12:40:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2013 12:41:27 PM PDT
Morski says:
Thank you very much for this review... it helped clear a lot up for me. I first heard the Black Keys playing at a head shop I randomly walked into. I haven't heard authentic blues-influenced rock like that in years. The samples I've listened to on Amazon have been from their more recent over-produced (IMO) albums... and, frankly, they suck compared to what I first listened to. I just bought thickfreakness... it's the real deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 6:47:58 PM PDT
I became a fan of Attack and Release first, then ventured into their old albums and loved them too, now I love both Black Keys eras, with a slightly better liking of their raw blues days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2014 3:29:15 PM PDT
Agreed. First Keys album i listened to was "Brothers" which i absolutely enjoyed followed by "Turn Blue". The production got much heavier on "Turn Blue", Not saying it's a bad thing but i can see why some avid listeners could be turned off by it. My Next listen is going to be "El Camino". I'm working my way backwards into The Black Keys' music. I am aware of their earlier sound i just haven't had a chance to listen to all of their earlier albums.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (647 customer reviews)

Reviewer