4.0 out of 5 stars Microscope for home school, February 9, 2012
This review is from: AmScope M100C-LED Compound Monocular Microscope, WF10x and WF25x Eyepieces, 40x-1000x Magnification, LED Illumination, Brightfield, Plain Stage (Misc.)
We're Home schooling some boys grade equivalents 6-8. They can be rough on things so I didn't want a plastic toy and I wanted plenty of magnification to see what we can see. This microscope did not disappoint me. Knowing that many if not all of the lesser microscopes offered have plastic "lenses" this 'scope's "optical glass lenses" appealed to me. Images are sharp and clear. Light is provided by either batteries (3ea/AAA) or a wall outlet and there is a well placed easily manipulated switch on the base. You can drag this thing along on a field trip if you wanted to though I can't imagine why you would. The frame/body is all metal as advertised. The bottom cover is plastic but that's of no consequence. This unit is made in China and I don't buy the $450 value claim one bit. But it's well worth the $90+ shipping which can be avoided if you want to use an Amazon offer. But I bought the scope and an Amscope 50 pc prepared slide box and altogether my shipping was only $4something. I don't know what yours would be.
The scope came with a transformer and 2 WF view finders though I have not yet figured out how to install the second. It is different from the one that came installed. One person reported their scope came badly packed. Not mine. The instrument came in a thick, fitted Styrofoam box, inside of a cardboard box that was packed in yet another box along with the additional prepared slides I'd purchased in a padded container with the extra spaces filled with large bubble packs. It arrived in fine condition and everything tight.
Harking back to not knowing how to install that second view finder, the "instructions" (I can hardly call them that) are something less than useless as another reviewer reported. That is why I only gave 4 stars to this. Consider the instrument itself 5/star. But, if I used a microscope in school, and I most likely did, it was so long ago I cannot recall it. Therefor the lack of instructions are a bit aggravating. I decided against forking out the money for a book about it figuring (rightly it turns out) there's plenty of free information available on the web. But, purchasers of this scope should be prepared to do one or the other.
A final word. In doing the web research, I discovered that magnification for the 1000x might want immersion oil but to beware that it is not for all lenses and there's nought to tell you yea or nay on this scope. There's a toll free number on the paperwork so I called it. I am happy to report there were no recordings and a gen-u-ine live hu-man being actually answered the phone.(8^o I quickly got my answer, it's fine to use the oil if necessary. So +1 for customer service.
That wraps this up. I tried to make it useful rather than just glib praise or complaint. I hope it's of use to someone out there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2012 11:17:48 AM PDT
Thanks, the review was extremely helpful.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:52:11 PM PST
C.Blossom says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 1:14:23 AM PDT
AmScope says:
Taking of the tiny screw on the side of the eye-tube, you can pull out the 10x eyepiece and insert another one. Please feel free to contact us for help @ the toll free 1-888-950-2888 if you are in the United States or 1-949-333-0001 if you call from outside USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2013 8:57:16 AM PDT
Jay says:
I feel embarrassed at missing that. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 11:38:19 AM PST
Elizabeth S. says:
I agree that the instructions are not helpful. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to replace the eyepiece with the 25x. I'm VERY encouraged to see that you received a response from the manufacturer. I will try to remove the screws to switch out our eyepiece. Our 10-year-old daughter asked for a microscope for Christmas and she and our 24-year-old son have been having a blast with this. They walked to a nearby pond to retrieve some pond water and they actually saw some moving live microscopic creatures in it!! Very exciting. My son photographed it with his cell phone through the lens and posted it on Facebook! Very cool!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Location: Great State of Texas!