Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my Swiss Army Knife Super Tinker or Pioneer perfectly!, May 24, 2012
This review is from: Medium Pocketknife Clip Pouch, Leather, Black (Misc.)
I was looking for a sheath or pouch that would fit my SAK Super Tinker. It is three layers thick and contains 10 tools. I have carried it everyday for about a year in my pocket and find myself using almost every tool on it regularly. My favorite being the scissors and the small knife.

Having carried it for so long, I started wanting a way to carry it that didn't take up so much pocket space. The obvious solution was to get a sheath or pouch. After reading some of the reviews between this sheath and other leather sheaths, I decided on this one, and I'm really glad I did. Below are a list of likes and dislikes based on what I've noticed so far. I will also include some dimensions on my multi-tool and on the sheath itself. Hope this helps!

LIKES: :)
* Leather - The black leather is real leather. It looks very clean and can be worn with dress pants or a suit. Some of the other sheaths I saw are made of a poly web or nylon material. Or they had a big colored logo sewn on the front. Not very inconspicuous. This one has an embossed Victorinox logo that is not that noticeable.
* Closure - The closure is a silver colored metal button, not Velcro. Some might have preferred Velcro, but I like the feeling of a good solid snap when I close it up. Psychologically, it just feels more secure. Weird, I know.
* Liner - The inside of the sheath is lined with a soft black cloth material. Another sheath I was looking at, did not have this. Some reviewers said that when you snap it closed, the underside of the metal button would dig into or scratch the knife inside. Having a soft liner prevents this.
* Size - It is more compact than I thought it would be. Very comfortable to wear.
* Elastic - The sides of the sheath are a black stretchy elastic band. This works well to keep a tight fit on the tool inside. My Super Tinker is a three layered build, if that helps you compare. You would probably fit a 4 layer SAK in there snuggly. You could definitely fit a two layer knife in there, like a Tinker or Spartan. The elastic would compress enough to hold it fine.
* Stitching - Very neat and clean. No missed stitches or glue marks.
* Open Clip - The case can be removed from your belt without taking your belt off. That's convenient if you go in and out of a government building or anyplace that does not allow knives / multi-tools. You can just pull it off and toss it in the glove box. Much faster and less sketchy than having to undo your belt in the parking lot.

DISLIKES: :(
* Clip - The clip on the back of the case is a metal clip wrapped and stitched in leather. I would have preferred a polycarbonate clip like the one on my cell phone holster. I think they wear better and last longer. I'm just concerned that the leather on the inside of the clip will eventually wear out and start cutting into my nicer dress belts. BUT, no sign of this as of yet.
* Elastic - The stretch material on the sides is only 2-1/4" long, so it does not cover the entire length of your knife or tool. The contents will be exposed on the sides - about 1/2" on the bottom and 3/4" on the top. I do not work in a dusty environment and I clean my knife regularly, so that is not my concern. My concern is that when my shirt is tucked in, people can clearly see the shine of the knife peeping around the elastic. They can also see the red handle. I would have preferred if the entire knife was concealed. It would make it less eye catching.

TIPS:
* Leather Conditioner - This sheath is made of soft leather; not the thicker kind of leather used in making belts like some of the other sheaths solid on Amazon. This leather will probably require a softener cream or conditioner on occasion. I figure I'll soften mine every couple of months since I wear it everyday.
* Location - I wear this between 2 and 3 o'clock on my waist. I am right handed, 175lbs, 33" waist, 6'3". This seams to be the best spot for it to rest. I can still sit in the car and buckle my seat belt without feeling this digging into my side.
* Pull Tassel - Attaching a means to quickly pull the tool out is a good idea. Without it, you might have to fuss with it or use two hands. I grabbed a paracord zipper pull from an old snowboarding jacket and tied it to the key ring on my Super Tinker. The cord dangles about 3-0" long. More than enough for one-handed grab-and-go.

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS:
* Swiss Army Knife Super Tinker - Length 3-1/2", Width 1-0", Thickness 5/8"
* Sheath With Tool Inside - Length 3-3/4", Width 1-3/8", Thickness 1-1/4" (not including clip), Thickness 1-5/8" (including clip)
* Clip - Length 2-1/4", Width 7/8" It has room for a 1-3/4" x 1/4" thick belt. It fits my 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" wide belts fine.

INTERIOR DIMENSIONS:
* Sheath Without Knife Inside (Unstretched) - Length 3-7/8", Width 1-0", Thickness 1/2"

Hope this helped. Feel free to ask any questions if you need something additional. Cheers!

UPDATE 12/7/2012

Still looking good. I have had a couple of oops moments when I brushed against a concrete wall. This did damage the leather slightly, but it's not bad at all. If anything, it adds character. :) I do treat it every month with mink oil.

Also, I recently added the Swiss Army Knife Pioneer to my small collection of pocket tools. Although slightly taller than the Super Tink and slightly thinner, the Pioneer fits will in my leather pouch! list a little loose when un-snapped.

This beauty has replaced the Super Tinker for a number of reasons. The main one being that my Tink went missing for a few days and was found banging around in the dryer. :( Although cleaner than I remember, the jaunt through my Maytag loosened the red plastic cladding on both sides. That's why I decided on the Alox line of SAK's. And the Pioneer is highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2012 5:40:55 PM PDT
rebart says:
Excellent review

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 3:20:00 AM PDT
Just My $.02 says:
@ R.Bartlett: Thanks so much for reading the review. If you have any questions on it let me know. I love it. At first I used it everyday until the novelty wore off. Now I use it maybe 2-3 days a week. Being that it's soft leather, I assumed that it would be pretty banged up by now, but it isn't. The leather is in great shape and the elastic band is still as good as new. The flap does have some slight wrinkle markings on the part that folds over. It is not cracking. I do recommend rubbing something like a mink oil on it to keep the leather conditioned. Thanks again! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 1:22:06 PM PDT
rebart says:
Just My $.02,
More good info. Thanks again.

Posted on Feb 17, 2016 2:54:38 AM PST
John A. Lind says:
Many years later . . . I hope you know that you can replace the scales on your super tinker for very low cost. They pop off and the new ones pop on. Use Google and you can find the scales, and you can find video to show how to change the scales.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›