5.0 out of 5 stars Great calibration Blu-Ray for beginners!, November 13, 2010
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you've recently purchased or own an LCD, LED, Plasma, or DLP television, buy this Blu-Ray. Disney's calibration disc is very user friendly and easy to use. As the previous reviewer did, my TV was already calibrated from settings I found on CNET and AVSForum. I was interested to see how my settings compared to the settings changed using this Blu-Ray. My already tweaked settings were pretty close to the settings after calibrating my TV from the blu-ray. I just had to tweak a few things. Regardless, I still give this disc 5 stars. The directions are very easy to follow, plus the blu-ray comes with an instruction booklet. I recommend reading the instruction booklet before using the blu-ray to calibrate your television.

The blu-ray is very easy to navigate. If you need to return to a previous step, it's very easy to do so. After you calibrate your television, there are clips from several Disney movies such as Bolt and Pirates of the Caribbean to view your settings in action. The second disc on the blu-ray called Visions: Inspired By Nature is a stunning HD demo reel. There are scenes of waterfalls, an ocean sunset, flower fields, desert vistas, mountain vistas, a fireplace scene, plus more. You can play each individual scene or run a loop. The second disc is approximately 64 minutes long. The second disc is something you can play in the background if you are having guests over or play it while reading a book or just relaxing.

Overall, I highly recommend this to anyone who owns a high def television who hasn't tweaked their settings. You will learn which each setting on your television does and it learn about surround sound. Like the previous reviewer stated, If you have already calibrated your TV from settings you found online, this disc probably won't help you every much.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2011 11:53:05 AM PDT
graymoment says:
Any particular reason why you omitted "plasma" from your recommend uses?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011 9:17:04 AM PDT
David N. says:
That was an accident. I edited my review an added plasma.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 7:08:29 PM PST
G. Murphy says:
Hi thanks for your review very helpful, my only question was, like you mentioned in the review that the guys at CNET and AVSforum basically tell you what the best calibrations are. My only reluctance is Im thinking the experts like their picture much darker than I might. Im an LCD guy who was just talked into buying a plasma since the guy convinced me that if I want the truest/best picture, go plasma. So I caved and bought a Samsung PN51D7000, I dont have it yet, get it tomorrow, but I was thinking this DVD may help me adjust the picture that would best suit me in case I like it a little brighter. The thing is, all the experts say to put their TV in Movie mode and then calibrate from there, but Movie Mode on my LCD I felt was much too dark, maybe its different for plasma, but what do you think? Looking for any advice, thanks again.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 8:40:17 AM PDT
Rick says:
How did you manage return to the previous step (or screen)? I think I've pushed every button on my remote but I always seem to return to the top menu. Occasionally when I want to go back to a test I go directly to the setup image without being able to review the instructions. So far, I would rate the navigation as very user-unfriendly.

I can't find any reference in the WOW documentation that tells me how to return to a previous screen, and I'm getting frustrated with not being able to toggle from brightness to contrast and back again without going through the main menu.

Thx. I hope you can let us all know in a future post.

Posted on May 26, 2013 6:06:55 PM PDT
does the 1-disc bd version have the pixel flipper utility on it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (669 customer reviews)

$39.99 $18.49