1.0 out of 5 stars Now I know why I never buy LCD, December 9, 2011
This review is from: VIZIO XVT3D650SV 65-Inch Theater 3D Edge Lit Razor LED LCD HDTV with VIZIO Internet Apps, Black (Electronics)
I bought this a few months ago to replace a 50" Samsung Plasma that I gave to my younger brother; big mistake. Note LED LCD means nothing - it's an LCD, but hats off to the Vizio Marketing Dept...Anyway as the TV arrived I rushed to get things setup, plugged in DirecTV and threw on ESPN (Sports Center); I looked in disgust at the streaming ticker bar on the bottom of the screen. Never had I seen such horrible ghosting from a TV and BOY was I in for a treat with this POS. I played with the settings, went online and found the "perfect" configuration, didn't make a difference. Other ailments I've noted include:

-A flicker (game mode on) as if it's refreshing, no rhyme or reason to frequency
-Flash-lighting on every corner
-Uneven blues/blacks (not to mention dull colors)
-Overall quirks in the user interface

I will say I like the remote and while the cinema 3d is cool (can't say if better than active) there isn't much 3d content out there; not to mention much like a new girlfriend, the infatuation fades quickly..

BOTTOM LINE:

If you are buying a TV for the legally blind this TV is for you. However if you plan to watch HD sports, discover channel stuff, etc. DO NOT purchase this TV; you will be disappointed. Go with a Plasma or a if you got the cheddar an LED. Personally I went with a Samsung PN59D8000 through Amazon - figured I would stay loyal since they did give me a 100% refund for this POS.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2012 11:28:50 AM PST
MJC says:
"...or a if you got the cheddar an LED."

Please understand that all "LED" TVs are LCD display lighted by LEDs. If you ever see a TV advertised as LED, it will be an LCD display. The advantage to LED is not in picture quality, but in size and energy efficiency over CCFL lighted LCD displays.

TVs with LED displays are, in fact, OLED displays. The OLED is a type of LED (the O is for Organic). Right now, there aren't many options in OLED. As far as I know (I could be wrong), Sony has the only one. LG and Samsung have announced theirs, but I have not seen a release date for either....then again, I am not always up on these things. I'm sure the info is out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 11:49:24 AM PST
"The advantage to LED is not in picture quality..."

While the technology is indeed very alike I've never seen an LCD come close to an LED's contrast ratio; I'd say this constitutes as a great advantage especially in movies where black levels are most notable.

OLED will be amazing once it's mainstream; should bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "paint a picture".

Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 3:49:43 AM PST
M. W. Oliver says:
Actually, the reason some LEDs have better contrast ratios than others is due to "Smart Dimming" or "Local Dimming" - name dependent on the manufacturer - where LEDs serving as the light source can dim and brighten independently of each other, creating darker and brighter spots behind the LCD.

It is much easier to make a black appear black if there is little to no light trying to shine through.

But, the original comment is correct. ALL LED TVs are an LCD display backlit by LEDs, either a single line around the edge or sheet directly behind the LCD.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 1:56:30 PM PDT
please be aware that there is no such thing as LED tv a LED TV is a LCD display with LED back light in this case the side lighting.
the advantage of LED is that you can precisely control the lighting because unlike tube back lighting, LED lights are multiple so you can switch on and off multiple lights depending on the picture. I think the this TV is bad because of edge lit technology that's why you see that flicker. but samsung had that problem for a long time just check samsung comments.
I have a VIZIO LED tv that is great I am planning on a bigger size but lokks like this one is bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 5:09:33 AM PDT
This TV is indeed bad...the ghosting is terribly distracting not to mention embarrassing for such a large investment. Get a plasma.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›