Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Concerning Steam and Amazon, April 20, 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty War Chest [Download] (Software Download)
I've noticed several people commenting on others hating Steam and quite frankly I would have to agree with the Steam haters. Steam really doesn't help any of the game manufacturers to the degree they believe they do. The game manufacturers believe they are stopping piracy by using Steam when in fact they are running off by far more business than they are preserving. They're losing a large section of those of us who purchase games legally and always have. It's entirely possible for me to purchase several hundred dollars worth of games per year but I cannot tell you how many games I have wanted to purchase but didn't because they were controlled through Steam. As a matter of fact I recently purchased Sniper Elite V2 from Walmart not realizing Steam was involved. When I discovered Steam was involved I tried to return the game but of course Walmart doesn't take games back. Therefore I am stuck with the game and unfortunately Steam along with it. I will say ...I do like the game itself but obviously not Steam.

However, in an attempt to give Steam a chance at proving me wrong and against my better judgement, I went ahead and purchased an add-on/additional map to the game from Steam. I did so in hopes it would work out well and maybe even encourage me into purchasing more games through Steam in the future. Well, as expected they charged my account and I still cannot play the game. Their system claims it's installed but it's simply not there and of course they don't have any way of contacting them except through their support system. To which they obviously never even check, cause I haven't heard a word back in weeks after emailing them several times. Basically, it seems with Steam you run the risk of never being able to play the game you purchased and should rightfully own the right to at least be able to play when you like. I would strongly suggest your never purchasing anything directly from Steam. Just buy it somewhere else and only use Steam to activate your purchase.

Amazon on the other hand is quite excellent to deal with and I can assure you they would never conduct business in such a poor manner. As a matter of fact I recently purchased a game through Amazon and for whatever reason it crashed a lot. I contact Amazon by phone, yes by phone, and actually got through to someone within a minute or two. The Amazon representative was very kind, understanding and quite professional. Amazon took the game back and immediately refunded my account. To me that speaks volumes about both Steam and Amazons business practices. In my mind it goes beyond proving Amazon is the true leader in game downloads. I just wish we could select who we wanted the game activation to go through instead of being forced to accept Steams extremely poor business practices in order to simply be able to enjoy our purchase.

Bottom line the games you can from Amazon, especially those that are authorized through Amazon. Then you can actually enjoy your experience instead of feeling like you've gotten played yet again by a company who could use a few lessons from the pros at Amazon. My only complaint with Amazon is I wish they carried and handled more games themselves.

BTW, I realize my praise of Amazon may appear bias but I can assure I'm not involved with them in any way's just my personal opinion ...I own a company that manufactures custom high end computers for gaming, recording studios, A/V mastering houses, etc. ...The fact is I hate being ripped off by anyone and I'm still impressed by the way Amazon handled the game issue I experienced. To me nothing speaks louder than actual experience and therefore I just wanted to try and save others from the problems I have experienced. Purchase your next game through Amazon and you'll see the difference as well, especially if you've previously dealt with Steam concerning anything.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2013 1:38:35 PM PDT
I have 412 games on Steam... and have never had an issue, including Sniper Elite: V2 and all the DLC. Right click on Sniper Elite in your Steam library and select "Properties" and then "DLC" and see if your DLC is listed there. If it's listed there you own it and can play it. Steam support does suck as in it takes a few days to get answers and IMHO if they just added a support phone number they'd be perfect. Try the community hub (you can get to it from your Steam game library) for that game and see if anyone can help you, and submit a new Steam support ticket.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2013 2:16:59 PM PDT
Mike Gordon says:
I have about 100 games on steam myself and have rarely had a problem. When I did have a problem and the support team didn't respond I wrote a mean letter and they got back to me the next day. Don't cuss them out or you won't get anywhere but if you're stern and let them know you're unhappy they'll be quick to fix the problem to keep you happy and buying games.

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 7:04:07 AM PDT
Never had many of these issues with Steam myself and I have nearly 500 games on the service. I've never purchased anything from them and not been able to use it. Yes their support is notoriously slow but I've always gotten a response on the few occasions I needed to contact them and always had my issue resolved to my satisfaction. Fact is, Steam provides a number of features we don't get from Amazon...automatic game updating, Steam Workshop for easy mod installation and quick communication with devs on many games being chief among several others.

Conversely, I've had more trouble from games purchased from Amazon that don't activate on Steam. While Amazon has always handled my issues well enough, the fact that I have far more of them when Steam isn't involved is worth noting.

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 10:18:35 AM PDT
Sniper Elite V2 is actually at fault for that. All of the DLC is located under Single Player/ Challenges/ DLC. I took me a bit to find it too. Sucks you had a bad experience. I do agree though that people need to be clear what the DRM is with store bought games. It has happened to a few of my friends and it really sucks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›