Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the more expensive ones..., July 29, 2008
This review is from: Nikon Action 7x35 Ultra-wide Binocular (Electronics)
I chose 7x35 binoculars for general field use, bird watching, and wildlife study. I had originally planned to buy the more expensive Action Extremes for their shock and water resistance. But on a recent visit to the big city, I had a chance to compare them with these, side by side and was unable to convince myself to buy the more expensive pair.

After looking through both the Action and the Action Extreme, I felt that I could not obtain a sharp focus with the Extremes. Puzzled, I asked the salesman to break out a second pair, but again could not focus the Action Extremes as clearly. I was quite ready to pay extra for the shock and water resistance of the more expensive binoculars, but sharp focus and clarity of view trump the other qualities.

After three weeks of use, which have included birding, an airshow, and some casual observation of the night sky, I am quite pleased with these. They are lightweight, fast and easy to focus.

The only complaint I have is that while the eyepiece lens covers are easily, conveniently, and semi-permanently secured to the neck strap, the objective lens covers are not. The objective lens caps are equiped with molded slots that can be attached to the neck strap, but they work poorly, and are NOT secure. I found myself crawling around in the mud looking for the lens caps several times before deciding that they were best kept in my pocket. This is an irritating flaw in an otherwise well designed and nicely made product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2011 2:25:57 PM PDT
A. LOCOCO says:
Chris, looks like you have had these for awhile...how are they holding up? I'm looking for a good pair for my field pack and since I already have Nikon rifle scopes I thought these might be worth the reasonable price. Any input would be great!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 5:04:54 PM PDT
I remain quite happy with them. They have stood up well to abuse and have covered a lot of miles, either in my field pack, or bouncing around my neck, and NOT in their case.

I have small children and have to admit that I was a bit reckless in allowing them to use them before they were really old enough for the responsibility. The binoculars have been dropped a couple of times, at least once in the sand and also on loose rock, but they have not been knocked out of alignment or otherwise optically damaged.

Really, for the price, I don't think there is a better deal, I only wish they'd done a better job on the objective lens covers.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 2:55:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2011 2:09:17 PM PDT
I think the reason this binocular provides a view superior to that of the Extreme model is because the regular Nikon Action has aspherical lenses while the extremes have regular spherical lenses. The Extremes are more expensive because they are more rugged, durable, and waterproof.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:15:35 PM PST
MK says:
So these would be good for bird watching, and star gazing?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:29:48 PM PST
For birdwatching, Yes, they are great for that. I find them pretty good for star gazing as well, having been able to pick out the moons of Jupiter, the ISS and great views of the moon. But it really does depend on your age. I'm over 50 and more powerful binoculars fatigue my eyes very quickly. If I was younger, I'd prefer 10x50's for star gazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:24:15 PM PST
MK says:
Thanks for replying, I am over 50 also. Need new hobby. Figured these would keep me out of trouble. I am still looking, may go with water proof ones. Night air, and so many wet lands, and swamps, never know what I may fall in. Still looking. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›