3.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable but flawed, July 23, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod classic (160GB) (Black) (7th Generation) MP3/MP4 Player (Electronics)
I started three years ago with an ipod Classic 80gb and was overwhelmed with the ease of use and the sound quality. I planned to convert my entire music library to it ... and relatively soon had to upgrade to the 120gb, which did not match the sound quality of the 80gb but was more than acceptable. All along the way I have converted my CDs and downloaded masses of music from iTunes, Amazon and Classicsonline. For important sets (e.g, the complete Haydn symphonies), I bought the CDs as backups. Then the fated day came ... I was again out of space and needed to upgrade.

I bought the 160gb fully aware of the reviews that stated the sound quality was problematic. Indeed, it does not have the richness of sound that the 80gb had, and the upper registers give treble new meaning. But with 120gb+ of music already, what else can I do?

It is not bad sound; it's just not as good as before. Apple again is giving us what they want to, catering to the lowest common denominator, and not what people who value sonorities need.

So, I shall exist with the 160gb, but after paying hundreds already I will not download any new items from iTunes, but will either buy CDs and convert them or download from the services which will allow me some time in the future to use those downloads on an MP3 player with as much space.

A shame. Yet another once-superior product brought down by technological arrogance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2012 6:15:04 PM PST
Tony NYC says:
Thanks for a very informative review. Can you tell me if you used the same headphones on both units? Was wondering if maybe they cheapened the headphones.
Tnx

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 10:55:43 PM PST
lavd says:
It's funny you should make that comment this week. I now have about 180 gigs of music, which means that the 160 ipod is no longer sufficient. Last week I synched the overflow via another computer onto the 120 and for the first time in a year listened to music on it, but using the same headphones for both. From the first I was struck by the isuperior sound quality of the 120. I am used to the 160; it's not bad. But it simply is not as good.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 11:43:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2012 11:43:28 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 11:43:37 AM PDT
KWMK says:
Have you compared the sound quality of the 160gb to an iPod Touch (any generation)? Since you have a 120 and a 160, neither of which meet your needs, I doubt it, but I am hoping to find out.

I am looking at buying a 160gb classic since there is no other option for high capacity players.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 2:08:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 2:09:57 AM PDT
Tony NYC says:
KWMK: I never thought I would be satisfied with a portable player since I'm very fussy about sound and into only high end equiptment. I've been using the 160GB iPod Classic for ten months now. I convert my CD's to .WAV format only. Therefore the info is exactly the same as it is on the CD and Im using Grado SR80i headphones which are precisely the right ohms for an iPod. I've very happy with the results. I do like my older generation 80gig iPod because it has (in my opinion) a better DAC than the newer 160GB iPod. Still, it's not bad. I'm not a fan of Apple products, too proprietary for my taste, but it does what I need it to do and it does it pretty good. I don't think you will be disappointed with the 160GB Classic. The bigger issue is the format that you convert your music to.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›