5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, engrossing, simply beautiful!, July 6, 2012
This review is from: The Selection (Hardcover)
I had seen "The Selection" in my recommendations on Amazon, read the synopsis, but I wasn't "sold" on the story. I looked at the book in stores more than once.

Finally, I took the plunge & bought it. I am SO GLAD I DID.

The story-
Set in the future, America as we know it, doesn't exist, but in what formerly was the US there is a royal family. In Angeles, in a palace called Illéa lives the king, queen & crown prince Maxon. The selection is an event, a televised reality event the accepts entries of all girls between certain ages in all households, from the top to the lowest caste.

The caste system determines the income level & occupation of its members. Families are born into them & like all systems there are flaws. If you're born into the lowest caste your fated to spend your life working hard & starving. A new position in a caste is practically unheard of. The selection elevates all the young ladies in it to a caste level 3, even if they were as low as an 8. This means more $, more food & general comfort for the contestants and their families. The farther the contestant goes the richer the rewards with the ultimate being Prince Maxon's heart.

The characters-

America Singer- As 1 of the contestants from the lower castes she is a caste 5. She already has a boyfriend at home & no love for the idea of the selection. She'd rather stay home & marry Aspen, the man she loves.

The problem? Aspen is a caste 6, lower than her & proud to boot. Aspen in a effort of seeming sacrifice leaves America when she enters the competition & wins a spot. So America goes. She goes with zero intention of falling for the prince but she cannot how small events lead to big feelings for a prince that is everything she didn't realize he could be.

Prince Maxon-
I LOVED his character. I'm not sure why I pictured Tom Felton while reading this, but I did. Prince Maxon & America quickly connect, become friends & more than either bargained for. His character is portrayed so wonderfully, I fell in love with him myself. Handsome, kind, gentle, generous...it's easy to understand why....
Before long I was pushing for America to toss Aspens memory to the dirt & go team Maxon.

You really become a part of the courtship between Maxon & America as you read. It's so well written & lovely, my heart was in my throat SO many times!!!!! I'm DYING for the next installment.

Buy this. Do it now. You'll be glad you did. Pure, wonderful & romantic, it'll make you believe again that love can be found anywhere, between any 2 people, no matter WHO they might be.......

*Update*

After posting my review I was dismayed to see so very many bad ones for this book. Opinions aside, we all have different tastes, I was most bothered by the angry/antagonizing tone of a few in particular. Actually 1 in particular, 1 that redirects Amazon clients to GoodReads in regards to some controversy with this book & it's reviews. I was bored so I bit & looked into this further. After a few minutes into this "Easter egg hunt" I read this same persons review on Goodreads. I found out several interesting things.

1) The writer of the review received the book as an ARC.
ARC's are given with the obligation that you read the book in its entirety & post an honest review.

2) A review of The Selection from this same Amazon reviewer is listed on GoodReads where the reviewer plainly states she received the book, "The Selection" as an ARC. She then goes on to explain that she took notes up until the first 80 or so pages & quit reading around page 190 or so (it's a 327 page book) & proceeded to "skim" the remainder of the book, stating she felt she had given it enough of a chance. Skimming almost half of the book is NOT giving it a "chance".

When you accept an ARC copy you are essentially agreeing that YES, you will read the WHOLE BOOK (not skim) & write an honest review. If you read roughly only around half the book & skim the rest that's not being fair. You cannot write an HONEST review this way. You may not like the book even after reading it all but at least you gave it a go. In not reading the whole book & posting such a negative review, well, its rather dodgy. How can I trust what you say about this book if you didn't read all of it? I can't.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]