4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality.. After a Few Tweeks, October 21, 2011
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 310 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 8x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom Lens and Full 1080p HD Video (Blue) (Camera)
I purchased this camera as a replacement to my Canon SD870IS which I was very happy with. The features that really caught my eye in the 310 HS were the 1080p video, 12MP images (I print LARGE poster size images at time), the large LCD screen and the new flash technology. I didn't want a touch screen as my interface so I went with the 310 instead of the 510.

So far I've taken about 500 pictures and 20 videos (some 1080p others 720p) with the camera both inside and outside. Overall I'm impressed with the quality of the pictures and VERY impressed with the video quality.

Pictures:

When you set the camera to Auto is does a decent job at detecting the environment. It adjusts the focus/lighting accordingly and takes a decent pictures. However, there are times where I have been taking a wide angle scenic view and it decides to focus on the nearby post and adjust to macro. When it does that, the picture comes out a little grainy and some areas are out of focus. You can't see it on the LCD screen, but when you get it out of the camera and on a larger screen it really shows.

The Image Stabilization (IS) feature is really nice to have. You can watch the camera adjusting for your minor movements that you may have when holding the camera up.

The camera offers the ability to take pictures in numerous formats. The default is 4:3, but it also offers, 16:9, 3:2 and 1:1. The manual mode allows you the ability to changing lighting, ISO, scene, white balance and compression. There are way too many modes to go into each one (26 in total).

If you want to take excellent quality pictures you need to be aware that Auto isn't always what you want and if you move that switch to manual and adjust the settings the pictures will come out looking sharp and cleaner.

Videos:

This is really where the camera shines. The videos are fantastic. You can shoot at 1080p and 720p or your standard 480i. The IS for the videos works flawlessly. My first "test" video was of my kids playing soccer and me purposely moving the camera to see how the IS works. After downloading it and viewing on a 60" TV there were times where we though the camera was placed on a tri-pod. The IS works that good. The video quality is top notch and most of the time I shoot at 720p.

The format of the videos are MOV. Previous Canon camera shot videos using AVI. This camera will not play back any AVI files (as I found out because I swapped memory sticks from my old to new).

Shooting a 1080p results in a video total bitrate of roughly 36K kbps at 23fps and audio bit rate of 1600kbps. Shooting at a 720p resulted in a video total bitrate of 25K kbps at 29fps and an audio of 1600kbps. Audio is 2 channel stereo at 48kHz for both.

However, there are two things that I wish this camera did different when it comes to video. The first is the size of the videos and it's compression. At 1080p a 1 minutes and 45 seconds the video is 460MB in size. Given this is a HD video, but other cameras and even some phones offer the same quality and time with less space. The second is the removal the "Time Lapse" feature of videos. With my SD870IS it had the ability to record a video as a time lapse that would allow it to take a pictures every 1 or 2 seconds and stitch it into a video. I utilized that feature on numerous occasions and it has been removed.

Battery:

The battery claims to take 250 pictures on a single charge. However, I was only able to get about 180 (no flash) on the first charge before I had to insert a different fully charged battery. Perhaps it will increase overtime and as the battery becomes more used. I would recommend that you invest in an additional battery and carry that with you as well. From the time that the "low battery indicator" came on I was able to get about 15 more pictures before it shutdown.

Design:

I was hoping that they would offer the Red of the 510HS on the 310HS but I can't fault them for that. The case is nice and well put together. It's very functional and the buttons are intuitive and properly placed. I have not had an incident where I pushed the wrong button.

Overall I'm really impressed with the camera and it's feature set. It will take some adjusting to make sure that Auto is taking the pictures that I want it to take, but overall it's a great camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2012 7:26:14 PM PST
Justbooking says:
I agree with you that Auto is not always best - what manual settings do you normally use? I'm thinking ISO 400 as I hate to be switching constantly depending on light, movement, etc..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 1:18:12 PM PST
SummerChic says:
Will video on this camera transfer to a dell computer with windows? If so, do you know what program?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 3:14:12 PM PST
Justbooking says:
Yes, it comes with its own software, Zoom Browser Ex. You need to use this because previous Zoom Browsers will not work, unfortunately I found its photo editing function is far harder to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 3:20:51 PM PST
SummerChic says:
Its photo editing function or its video editing function?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 9:00:33 PM PST
Justbooking says:
I've only used it to edit photos so far. I tried to download videos with the prior software and it didn't work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 6:58:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 7:00:19 AM PST
The video is in a MOV format. Previous Canon camera encoded utilizing the AVI format. If you are running Windows 7 you should have no problem playing this format in the Windows Media Player. If you are running Windows XP/Vista you may need to download quicktime from http://www.apple.com/quicktime. If you have iTunes already installed then Quicktime is as well.

If you want to edit it using free software you can use the software that comes with the camera. However, I would recommend you visit http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-movie-maker-get-started and download Live Essentials. Inside will be a program called Windows Live Movie Maker and you can edit and create videos that will also play on your computer.

If you want to Photo Edit you can use Windows Live Photo Gallery for basic image editing features. That also comes with Windows Live Essentials. However, if you want something more involved and also free I would recommend Paint.Net from http://www.getpaint.net.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 7:00:24 AM PST
Justbooking says:
Has anyone had problems posting videos online (Facebook) with this format? The quality is great but I can't seem to upload the new ones. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 8:57:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 8:58:19 AM PST
It depends on where you are posting them. YouTube or Facebook shouldn't have any issues. However, the larger the file the longer it takes for that service to convert it to work with their system. Where are you posting it to and are you receiving any error messages?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 8:59:53 AM PST
Justbooking says:
Facebook, but when I try to upload, the FB feature doesn't "see" the file. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, it worked with the previous type of files.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 9:01:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 9:03:29 AM PST
According to Facebook the MOV is supported. Copy the MOV from the SD card to your Desktop and try to browse it there.

Pulled from https://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=218673814818907

We support almost all video file types, but you'll have the best luck with the MP4 format. Here's the complete list:

3g2 (Mobile Video)
3gp (Mobile Video)
3gpp (Mobile Video)
asf (Windows Media Video)
avi (AVI Video)
ogm (Ogg Media Format)
ogv (Ogg Video Format)
qt (QuickTime Movie)
tod (TOD Video)
ts (MPEG Transport Stream)
vob (DVD Video)
wmv (Windows Media Video)

The aspect ratio of the video has to be between 9x16 and 16x9, and the video cannot exceed the file size or length that the upload page suggests.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›