Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

3.0 out of 5 stars I've owned 5 Consoles So Far, January 27, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony Playstation 3 160GB System (Console)
Bought my first PS3 when they first came out, great unit features wise. But it broke, something bout a blue chip inside, no worries they fixed it. Then it went out of warranty and started overheating, it was time to upgrade to the next model, I was running out of room on the 80Gb HDD anyways, got the 250gb, which is an inferior machine more cheaply made, and less features. So I bought my oldest son one for xmas this year, a 160gb. The HDMI connection on it was so cheaply assembled that it literally came apart at the housing after 1 week (we would've noticed sooner but we were using the other cords until we bought a cable). So I sent it in, that 1 month membership that you get to ps plus was wasted sitting in service the entire time, when I got this brand new unit back from service ages after I sent it in, came back with a huge scratch on the back, service dept scraped a screwdriver or something across the back of it. so I called them on it, unwilling to do anything about the plus membership that I got screwed on, and get this. They told me that cosmetic damage does not affect the units playability or value. I said the same thing back to him in lamens terms...."screw you too".

Now let's actually talk about the day to day operation of the unit good & bad.

Internet browser is outdated, and not compatible with alot of stuff so don't rely on this as a computer, despite their outlandish claims that the console does everything.

Sites that are free like hulu, are blocked so they can sell you a membership to hulu plus.

There's no fee for online gameplay, unlike the 360

Obviously, heavy users are prone to system failures.

The console is being manufactured more cheaply everyday, backwards compatibility is a thing of the past. Now you gotta throw them old ps2 discs in the trash, and guess what.......buy them on the playstation store to work with your new unit, lol. And if service damages your console cosmetically, don't count on them owning up to it.

The hack on the network, yeah remember that one! I'll say this much, sony was really cool about it, and that means alot to me.

All playstations are created equal, can't say the same for the 360, some of those don't have HD, HDMI's, I don't think they even come with bluray, so it's simple to make a decision.....pick a HDD size & take it home.

Controllers last for quite awhile before they start to break down, and they have a 1yr warranty.

It plays all your bootleg collection formats, haven't found one yet that's not compatible.

Cinavia Warning! Anti-Piracy software installed on the unit, there are ways around it but hey I don't do the piracy thing when movies cost a buck at the redbox.

PS Store has alot of stuff, and you can download movies instead of trying to stream them. Especially important when you've got a slow 1.5mbps bandwidth and want to watch full 1080p 3d movies.

Netflix, you can really save some money on that cable bill by just switching to the netflix for $8/mth. We don't even turn the tv to air anymore, you get used to it even though the shows kinda suck at times.

Oh, & about the units breaking down. They'll sometimes send you a different console, and that ads to this "limit" they place on accounts. I currently own 4 playstations, I have one master account & sub accounts for my children. I buy them games on my account, and obviously they should be able to play the games on the other consoles we own since we paid for it right........WRONG! Sony now limits you to using 2 consoles only, so my other 2 consoles will never be able to link up to my living room main ps3, therefore all the stuff i've paid for ultimately you get screwed. Only me & my oldest son can play because we are the two registered consoles, my other son & my bedroom ps3 are SOL and sony's solution is quite simple.....open a new account & buy it again! lol, it always comes down to giving them more money doesn't it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]