Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, not Worth the Time or the Money, May 6, 2012
This review is from: Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 12) (Hardcover)
I think I may be somewhat of a fool. I was disappointed with Dead in the Family and Dead Reckoning. Despite my disappointment with the complete destruction of Eric and Alcide as a characters in these past few books and despite the lack of anything important happening in these last two books, I still waited excitedly for each new release, read them quickly and kinda enjoyed them. So, I put my name on the library waiting list maybe nine months ago for Deadlocked and repeatedly (hopefully and apparently stupidly) checked the ebook price prior to the release to see if perhaps it would drop in cost. The first day release never dropped down below $14.99, so I was stuck with waiting for my library copy and was fortunate to be the first one in my library to get a copy. Excitedly and anxiously, I put aside my current read (Special Forces) and began Deadlocked. By the first several pages my excitement was gone, as was any hope. 9% in to Deadlocked there was still no appearance of a werewolf, Eric, or Sam. How can that be? I stopped at 26%. I then wrote a quick and negative review for Goodreads. I fumed and then I came back to Deadlocked and skimmed until the last few chapters, which I read. My conclusion? I should have stopped at 26% as my opinion stayed the same and nothing happened!

Deadlocked is incredibly boring. These is a lot of recap, recap and recap of the past 3-4 books. By now we have all read the other books! If a reader has gotten to book 12 in any series, that reader knows the history and does not need the summaries! We know about the war with fairy, we know about Jason's past marriage, we know, we know, we know. This recap and regurgitation takes up a good deal of space.

Rather than including characters that fans like and appreciate, there is so much dead time, down time and wasted time focused on characterswho have never been important to the books and the storyline that are suddenly front and center. Harris seems to have forgotten what made these books special. She wrote interesting characters (initially) that acted according to their characters' personalities and were involved in interesting intrigue and mysteries. Importantly (and seemingly forgotten), her books had scary monsters too. Well none of that is in this book.

What do you do as a writer if you have plot developments you regret? I think the Sookie series is one example of what an author can do to obviate past happenings. I really get frustrated with how something big and game changing happens in one book and then suddenly is changed back to how it was before the game changer in a later book. Why the heck the struggle with the war and fairy? Why the drama about closing off fairy? This is not the first plot line changed with the flick of a pen (i.e. the blood bond). The more troublesome aspect of these books is the inconsistency of the characters from one book to the next.

Despite foundation laid for a character, circumstances in later books change how characters act and treat each other. The golden rule of any series is that even if the characters live in a magical world with supernaturals, the author does not live there with them and thus, must operate under basic principles - like unless a character under goes a lobotomy, the characters must keep their personalities in tact. This rule is not followed in Deadlocked or the previous few Sookie books. The past few books have involved the destruction of the Alcide and Eric that we all were so fascinated by. Their actions and choices in books 10 and 11 are so ridiculously out of character. Since book 10, Eric was not even a caricature of the vampire previously written. Eric of books 10 and 11 is unrecognizable.

Well the character transplant continues with Deadlocked. I never thought Eric would be boring! He is boring in Deadlocked. I waited for his first appearance in the book and it was such a huge let down. And when did he get to be so dumb and make such poor choices? This is a vampire that has lived 1000 years and survived so much, yet he continuously makes stupid choices (or is unable to make a choice). That was not Eric of the earlier books.

So here it is. I just can't read this book fully and I cannot read any other books in this series. And I am sad about it, sad that I invested so much money and time in to this series and an author (often buying both the ebook and then the audio book as well). A series cannot last forever. Sometimes the story arc is done and the series has to be ended. This can be done without disappointing readers and gutting the soul out of the books. Really it can.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2012 8:16:01 PM PDT
V Walker says:
You said everything I was thinking and feeling, and I could not agree with you more!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 3:06:00 PM PDT
Regina says:
Thanks! I am hoping you got your copy from the library and didn't waste the money! I am still torn about reading the next one.

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:32:51 PM PDT
Gertt says:
Ms Harris destroyed Bill, why wouldn't she destroy Eric, Quinn, Alcide?????

Posted on May 23, 2012 4:20:03 AM PDT
tasertot says:
I sooooo agree with you, this was terrible. I just quit on chapter 3, it's not just the story it's the writing. I'm such a huge Charlaine Harris fan, I refuse to believe she wrote this. It's ridiculous, if they got a ghost writer they should fess up for her reputations sake, and if she actually wrote it, she owes us all an apology if not a refund. If you've lost the passion for the characters you're writing about for crying out loud don't give into your publishers money crazed demands, fight for your reputation and readers and just say no.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:02:51 AM PDT
Regina says:
Gertt, I agree. She started earlier that Eric, Quinn and Alcide. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:04:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 9:04:21 AM PDT
Regina says:
taserton, I completley agree. I am so thankful I got this copy from the library. The idea that she didn't actually write it is an interesting one. :) I really enjoyed 1 and 3 in her Lily Bard series (I didn't like 2 and 4) and I enjoyed 1-9 in the Sookie series. I used to enjoy the way she wrote. Something happened, something changed in the way she wrote the last 3.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 2:27:40 PM PDT
LivesInPink says:
@ "..when did he get to be so dumb and make such poor choices? This is a vampire that has lived 1000 years and survived so much, yet he continuously makes stupid choices (or is unable to make a choice). That was not Eric of the earlier books."

I have been thinking the same thing for several books now & especially with this book. We are suppose to believe Eric survived 1000years, is ruthless & cunning, will always put his survival first, as we have been reminded repeatedly....yet I'm left thinking Eric's nights are numbered. I'm also wondering if the message is Sookie is kryptonite to vamps & their brains turn to mush with her in their life. It's one thing for Eric to appreciate how Sookie can think outside the box....it's another to believe Eric needs her 25+ years "experiences" & way of thinking for his continued survival.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›