2.0 out of 5 stars Brooks's privilege interferes with useful advice, November 22, 2010
This review is from: I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style (Paperback)
I bought this book after obsessing over it for a couple days. The pictures, as have been mentioned in other reviews, are utterly gorgeous. But beyond that this is kind of a waste of money.

I wish this book didn't masquerade as a style manual as it's really all about Brooks, her journey through fashion and (as she makes quite clear) her very privileged position in the fashion world via her (very, VERY rich) familial background. Seriously, I laughed out loud when she claimed proudly that a $300 silk tank top is totally worth it because it lasts over a year. Her "thrifty" section just feels like a weak attempt to relate to us regular fashion-loving folks, and her idea of high-low mix in fashion feels more like her throwing a bone to people who can't happily splurge on $1000 pieces she got her hands on because a designer used her as a muse. I'm the last person to judge on spending exorbitant amounts of money on expensive clothing, but to present it as an everyday and perhaps NECESSARY thing for fashion lovers is kind of ridiculous.

And because it's all about her personal style, the sections are really quite limited to her personal experience. She clearly did very little, if any, research into the styles she talks about and she presents them as the end-all, be-all of acceptable style.

This book is a thinly veiled fashion autobiography, NOT a style guide, with some of the most absurd and useless style advice I've heard outside of Vogue and Elle. But hey, the pictures are lovely, as is the overall layout and design of the book. Although Brooks probably had little to do with cultivating either.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2011 8:51:20 PM PDT
I agree. I flipped through a couple of pages at u.o. and that is the vibe I got. I was gonna give her the benefit of the doubt and will probably still buy the book but all the autobiographical details were a turn off.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 7:38:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 7:38:35 AM PDT
NYer says:
I might buy or borrow this book one day, but I really appreciate your putting it in perspective. I suppose it is hard to write a style book that would appeal to most people.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:03:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 13, 2012 6:07:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 5:07:00 PM PST
S. Briggs says:
I bought the book used and cut the pictures I loved. They are on my inspiration/mood wall in my home office area. That's the best feature of the book. Most of those photos I've never seen before.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›