4.0 out of 5 stars All good backpackers have these, but as the label states they are for "emergency use", January 6, 2010
This review is from: Potable Aqua Water Treatment Tablets (Kitchen)
The 5 most common ways backpackers/campers purify water are
1. Boil it. Obviously slow and cumbersome. If doing strenuous backpacking/canoeing each person will need to boil a big pot of water every night.
2. Natural sunlight - letting water sit in the sun for 6 hours works (need cloudless day, correct kind of clear plastic container). The World Health Organization published a study on this, but Amazon won't let me link to it.
3. Water pump - I have used MSR HyperFlow Microfilter, though there are cheaper options if you can accept it being slightly larger. In my opinion this is the best method.
4. Household chlorine bleach - the EPA and WHO give instructions on doing this. The EPA says this may not kill Cryptosporidium. I've never tried.
5. Iodine tablets (or other chemical treatments)-

Positives:
-Tablets are small/light for backpackers
-Only takes 30 minutes to have water ready
-No work required

Negatives:
-EPA says it is not 100% affective against Giardia and Cryptosporidium, especially if the water is cold while being treated.
-The taste is slightly bad ('metallic' is my best description).

I think a good attitude towards these tablets is "emergency use" (which is labeled on the side of the bottle, not visible in the Amazon image). No good backpacker doesn't have these, but I suggest a water pump as the planned primary method. Note: there are also iodine "neutralizer" tablets that are supposed to remove the bad taste (you drop them in after the 30 minutes is up and wait another 30 minutes). In my opinion they barely change the taste and are not worth it.

I'm only giving 4 stars since the EPA says it is not 100% effective against Giardia and Cryptosporidium. I'd give 5 stars if the product was named something like "EMERGENCY AQUA" instead of "POTABLE AQUA".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 11, 2011 9:42:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 9, 2013 4:59:34 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 1:38:33 PM PDT
Balph Eubank says:
You can read the brief abstract/summary here:

Boiling is the safest, but I think a water filter is easiest and best option.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 3:48:58 PM PST
Thank you for the link. Very informative.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 10:22:15 AM PST
Olddetailer says:
Good food (or water) for thought. In a disaster scenerio I think we all need to get the word out about using the 2 liter water bottle solar method. GREAT POST. Now, I need to figure out what which methods (and in which priority) I'm going to use sanitize my emergency water.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:15:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 9:31:42 PM PST
treehugr says:
Hello, I'm curious if you've come up with a plan of action for your water purification? Would you mind sharing?

BTW, I found a good post regarding the water bottle solar method, if anyone is interested: http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/how-to-purify-water-with-sunlight/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 11:20:33 PM PST
Olddetailer says:
@treehugr

I have since purchased a AquaPail 400 for me and my wife. So far I have not found a better emergency filter system for the price and portability. I also have a filter straw and iodine tablets for flexibility. To back up the AquaPail I have purchased four food grade blue 55 gal barrels and hooked them up to my rain gutters. I suppose I should start gathering 2 liter soda bottles and store them after cleansing them with some Clorox water for safe storage. Since I live in Honolulu the thought of a major hurricane scares the heck out of me. My food and water supplie goals are for four people for a month.

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 9:42:24 AM PDT
ElAlhambra says:
thanks so much for your extremely informative and useful review

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2013 9:06:00 AM PDT
M. Nelson says:
Remember to store the water bottles away from concrete.

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 2:01:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2015 2:14:01 AM PST
RC says:
Neither iodine or chlorine will deactivate Cryptosporidium in the 30-60 minutes recommended on the package. BUT if either chemical is left alone to treat the water for 6 hours, almost all the Cryptosporidium will be deactivated. You should try to filter out any solids, warm-up cold water, and most importantly, give it as much time to work as you possibly can tolerate:

‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (1,052 customer reviews)

$5.99